Thread: Sphere of Influence.

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Sphere of Influence.

One of the most frustrating things about the newer games is the lack of province trading. If an enemy conquers one of your regions, then an ally comes in and takes it for you, you're rather screwed. Either you break the alliance, or you don't get the settlement back.

I presume that province trading was taken away due to strange things, like Native Americans demanding Bavaria in return for some backwater place in Canada, and other things like that. But I think I've figured out how to fix that.

Factions should have a "Sphere of Influence." Depending on various factors, like their military and economic strength, and their prestige, and leader traits, etc. each faction has an area outside of the territory that they actually hold where they hold a certain amount of influence. This would have a number of diplomatic and economic effects.

For instance, factions relations within your sphere of influence are more extreme. Those that like you are liable to like you more, and those that dislike you are likely to hate being under your umbrella. Your demands have an increased chance of succeeding for weaker factions within your sphere.

Certain diplomatic options would only be available for factions within your sphere, or would have dramatically increased effectiveness. Perhaps you could only trade regions and provinces with factions that are within your sphere of influence, and otherwise they could only be ceded to you (Or from you) during peace talks. Vassals and puppet states would be far more likely to stay loyal when they are within your sphere of influence. Conquering territory outside of your sphere would bring negative modifiers, lower public order, a weaker economy, until you can exert more influence on it. It's not necessarily a literal circle, mind you, as each individual region could be capable of spreading your influence, though the capital should be able to do it much more effectively. (And should also be able to be moved.)

You could have buildings and agents that increase your sphere, depending on the era depicted. These could be anything from garrison buildings, to news presses, and agents like "Politicians" or "Ambassadors." This could add an entirely new aspect to the campaign map.

Perhaps there's a rich city state, both you and your primary rival wish to hold it within your sphere to get special trading rights, or vassalize it. You both send ambassadors, you can try to cajole it, or bribe it, or threaten it, and no longer can all your problems be solved by marching an army in and taking what you want.
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."

Default Re: Sphere of Influence.

That's a really cool idea, would love to see it in a mod, if not a legit release.

Default Re: Sphere of Influence.

Yes this or other similar variations I have seen proposed since Shogun 2 would be excellent but CA would have to make those changes.