Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Default Anglo-Saxons Karling TW preview

GO HERE FOR NORSE PREVIEW:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ing-TW-preview

The Anglo-Saxons
    Northymbre, Miercne, Eastengle
    , Westseaxe and Eastseaxe
    Northumbria, Mercia, East Anglia, Wessex and Essex

As the West Roman Empire crumbled there was a power vaccum in it's old province of Britannia. Whilst the great tribal confederations of Franks, Vandals and Goths managed to carve out their own kingdoms from the richest Roman provinces, their North German brothers were left with only one choice, Britain. From the 5th century onwards Britain was invaded by Angles and Saxons, and divided between them and the native Britons in countless petty kingdoms. Broken by eternal infighting. At the turn of the 6th century the kingdoms began to be rechristianised, whilst a new order was being created. The heptarchy of classical kingdoms eventually survived as the "victors" in the centuries long strugle for Britain: Mercia, East Anglia, Wessex and Northumbria as the major. Still these were small kingdoms, with armies numbering in the 100s rather than 1000s. From the middle 7th century there began to emerge "hegemons" of Britain, first Northumbria whose might was crushed however at the battle of Dun Nechtain. Then Mercia under king Offa, who subdued all Britian south of his original realm. Yet none of these truly became Brytenwalda, king of the Britons. After a few decades their kingdoms fractured back into the old warring states they had conquered. This continued until the end of the 8th century, and the coming of the Danes. Using the division of by now existant "english nation", the Vikings raided and slaughtered for half a century. Whilst the English uncapable of doing something suffered. A major historical breaking point came with the invasion of the great heathen army in 868, it was the first time the Vikings came to stay, to conquer. And they were succesful carving out Norse principalites from northeastern England, the so called Danelaw. Meanwhile however the English were rising. When the Vikings destroyed all other rivals the last English kingdom surviving was Wessex. And as the Norse began to scatter, the king of Wessex quickly filled the great power vaccum left after the great heathen conquest. With the help of two new military systems, the fyrd conscription of thegns and the Burh fortifications manned by Burwarans he effectively created a permanent army to defend against the vikings. Numbering at it's greatest 30 000 including all local Burwaran!. With this system he went on to unify the remaining English lands into one polity, wich lay the basis of the kingdom of England.

NOTE: These units are wip and do not represent the final products, any critisism from a historical viewpoint is welcome though some corrected are not shown.

Ceorlas
    The Churls (ceorls, Karls...) were the society's lower strata, freemen ranging from virtual slaves to independent owners of several farmsteads.
    Generally fighting was conducted by the wealthier, but in defense of their land or on shorter expeditions a lord could certainly levy some of the general populace.
    Especially as bowmen or skirmishers, something the shield wall fighting warbands were unsuited for.Ceorl Spearmen

Ceorl Spearmen

Ceorl Bowmen

Ceorl Javelinmen

[no pic atm]

Ceorl Axemen

Sokesmen
    [Seamen, in a system similar to the Norse Leidangr]

Wealhfaereld
    [The inhabitants of the welsh marches, unlike most Ceorls had to regularly serve in the army during expeditions into wales, their knowledge of the land being vital]

Rideheres

Whilst the earliest Saxon kings of Britain we know of, Hengist and Horsa, are named after horses.
    The use of cavalry is said to have diminished greatly after the initial Saxon arival. It is true that warfare was based
    greatly upon fighting on foot in the shield wall. But the use of horses as a transport was widespread. Very likely there existed horsemen for patroling along borders,
    especially in the widespread northern plains and welsh hills.

Rideheres (early)

[no pics atm]

Rideheres (late)

[no pics atm]

Northymbres Rideheres
    [The Northumbrians, as seen at the battle of Dun Nechtain were unique in relying heavily on cavalry as late as the 7th century]

Warbands

Geoguthas (early)
    [the youths of the lords's warbands]

Duguthas (early)
    [the elder warriors of the lords's warbands, bringing their own warriors]

Hearthweru (early)
    [The Kings's personal warband, hearthmen. Helping also as tax collectors]

Cynges's Gesithas (early)
    [The Kings's closest men, friends, nobles, aethelingas forming a bodyguard]

Hirdmen (late)
    [The expanded warband of the king, combining both the earlier hearthweru and duguths]

Cynges's Thegnas (late)
    [The kings's closest retinue, see cynges gesithas]

Fyrd Reforms
    The reforms of Alfred the great were intended to repulse the Viking invaders and further his own position. He turned
    th
    e earlier warbands, loyal to death, but only for a well paying lord. And turned them into a "national" levy. Though the fyrd wasn't composed of peasants (as is commonly thought) but of thegns, he created another system. To garrison the many burh fortifications he created an enormous force of Burwaran, requiring the locals to serve as such in defense of their own parishes.

Fyrdsmen (late)
    [the succesors of the geoguth and duguth warbands, instead a institutional conscription of those lower noblemen]

Burwaran/Burgweardas (late)
    [the semi-permanent garrisons of the Burhs, replaces Ceorl Spearmen]

Credits:

Ahiga - for several models
    Avetis - for shield patterns
    Regia.org - for primary source
    Team, Massiccio - for models
    Last edited by Linke; February 26, 2016 at 11:34 AM.

Default Re: Anglo-Saxons Karling TW preview

Looks Great !!! Can't wait to try them.
    Pray for Pastor Saeed, and here is a link to sign a petition for his release: http://beheardproject.com/saeed#sign

I believe in Jesus Christ our Savior. If you do too, and aren't scared to admit it, then copy and paste this in your signature.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and The Life..." (John 14:6) Yeshua HaMashiach
    http://khouse.org/

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?2042-Total-War-Middle-Earth-(TW-ME)"]

Brivime's Avatar Ordinarius

A truly excellent job and brilliant portrayal of the Anglo-Saxons.

Though I am curious why you did not represent the Geoguthas and Duguthas with spears and seaxes as they would have used?

They have javs, but the weapons are not final anyways, haven't decided if cavalry is spear, or seax/javelin armed

Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator

Looks good, congratulations on making the front page! I'll be keeping my eye on this mod!

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Out of curiosity, what are the sources for the shield patterns?

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

These models look terrific, and this mod is incredibly exciting! Here's hoping for a bit of Christmas money so I can splash for a rig that can run this thing.

What sources do we have for Anglo-Saxon hair in this period? A bit obscure, I know, but what little I do know of their fashions is from very early or very late Anglo-Saxon England, at which times they were known for wearing their hair long in various different styles. This is right in the middle of that, and I would wonder if the traditions (obviously the side-knot didn't last) would remain the same. This would mean long hair would be the norm, with short hair being something of a rarity. This is in contrast to visual representations of "Saxons vs. Vikings" in which the marauding, savage northmen have fabulous beards and wear their hair long and wild while the hapless Saxons look like accountants using Gillette razors.

@boogie this was the only thing i found were the anglo-saxons depict hair at close (in a manuscript anyways, i'll try to look on sword handles and such) http://www.warfare.altervista.org/6C-11C/Caedmon-p81.htm , it seems pretty short to me, though it's two centuries later than this. Anyhow it's an easy change you propose

@dontfearme22 they are made by avetis for his attila age viking mod, and used by me with permission. Since these are quite early saxons and they mostly consist of generic shield patterns i don't have any problem using them. Though i maybe want to single out the dragon one. Anyhow they're not identical to those used by vikings either (from same source)

Another note, we may add benty grange helmets to replace some generic ones in the early units. Amongst other suggested changes
    Last edited by Linke; December 20, 2015 at 09:40 AM. Reason: fixed link

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

I'm just getting a 404 when I try to open that link.

I don't know whether to suggest you change the hair or not; we know the Normans saw a clear distinction between themselves and the Saxons, visually at least, due to the Saxons' fashion of long hair and facial hair, which the Normans did not tend to have (short hair and shaven was, at the time of the conquest, apparently the norm for Normans). The second generation of Anglo-Normans would often upset their Norman fathers (though not their Saxon mothers, who usually had the real influence over them) by adopting the Saxon trend of long hair and moustaches. If I were the one doing the models, I would give virtually all of them long hair, but I don't know the first thing about modelling.

Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Knight View Post
    I'm just getting a 404 when I try to open that link.

I don't know whether to suggest you change the hair or not; we know the Normans saw a clear distinction between themselves and the Saxons, visually at least, due to the Saxons' fashion of long hair and facial hair, which the Normans did not tend to have (short hair and shaven was, at the time of the conquest, apparently the norm for Normans). The second generation of Anglo-Normans would often upset their Norman fathers (though not their Saxon mothers, who usually had the real influence over them) by adopting the Saxon trend of long hair and moustaches. If I were the one doing the models, I would give virtually all of them long hair, but I don't know the first thing about modelling.
    I suppose it is worth saying that there'll be plenty of new models implemented into Total War: Karling. If you'd like to see a certain hair style, feel free to post some pictures and I'll model and texture them when I've got some freetime left