Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Patch notes - Age of Charlemagne

Default Patch notes - Age of Charlemagne

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Age_Of_Charlemagne_Update

on top of Free LC we get this
    Campaign Balancing

Grand Campaign Balancing Changes Below is a list of balancing changes made to the Attila Grand Campaign:

• Reduced the chance of non-Hunnic factions razing settlements.
    • Most Roman units now take 1 turn to recruit instead of two.
    • Reduced Sassanid income bonus from Puppet States from 200% to 100%.
    • Reduced base income for non-playable factions from 4000 a turn to 3000 a turn.
    • Changed corruption formula so it is much more of a curve with less severe jumps, and now caps off at 60%.
    • Reduced settlement and army zones-of-control.
    • Fixed public order effects from food.

These changes have had a big cumulative effect on the balance of the campaign. With less razing by AI factions, more regions are owned and contested over the course of a campaign, and less razing also means less migration and public order problems so the Roman Empires survive for longer, though their lands are still fought over. The Roman Empires are further strengthened by the changes to their unit recruitment times.
    In the East the reduction of the money the Sassanids are getting from their puppets, the reduction in the income of non-playable factions (which means a double hit in the money the Sassanids are making), and the introduction of the White Huns means the balance is completely different now. Faced with a threat from the East, a strong Eastern Roman Empire to the West, and with less cash, the Sassanids are no longer the completely dominant force they were.
    The changes to corruption makes expanding your empire more rewarding, and also has an impact on the Western Roman Empire at the start of the campaign, as they have less corruption throughout their provinces and more income to use to be stronger.
    Changing the zone of control size for armies and settlements frees up some more room for manoeuvre on the campaign map.
    Public order effects from food weren’t properly working before, so more attention must be paid to the impact of food shortages on public order in your provinces.
    Battle Balancing

There are also some changes to the balancing of battles that apply across all campaigns:

• Increased the reload time of arrow towers so they fire less often.
    • Reduced collision damage multiplier.
    • Adjusted the flanking and outnumbered penalties in melee combat.

The change to arrow towers means lone units can more reliably capture and destroy arrow towers on their own, and more emphasis is placed on the defending force’s strength.
    Reducing the collision damage multiplier has a big impact on cavalry, making their charge bonus and other stats more important in combat which helps balance combat.
    Tweaking the outnumbered and flanking factors in melee combat helps balance out some areas of combat, and certainly helps with some of the balancing aims we had for Age of Charlemagne.
    Known issues

• Western European Christian nation voiceover occasionally refers to Rome when referencing themselves/their enemies.
    • Onscreen keyboard for Steam controller is not functional on SteamOS.

Free LC
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Free LC

The White Huns
    Sweeping down from the bleached slopes of the Hindu Kush mountains, the White Huns represent a Horde faction who start in a position to directly threaten the Sassanid Empire. Alongside a revised Hunnic unit roster featuring new units and the Hunnic cultural trait Scourge of God, they also enjoy a new Faction Trait, Scourge of The East.
    Scourge of The East:

• Income +100% from sacking, looting and raiding
    • Integrity +1 for every war being prosecuted
    • Immune to desert attrition
    • Morale +20% versus Eastern Empires

White Hun unit roster:
    White Hun armies are an exotic and fearsome blend of Hunnic, Eastern and Gupta Indian fighting styles. As such, they offer an incontestable counter-argument to cavalry-heavy armies.
    The White Hun roster features a mixture of existing Hunnic units, new White Hunnic units, and notable additions from the Persian unit roster.
    New units:

• Kindred of The Sun: General’s unit, Khanda swords, heavy precursor weapon, good armour.
    • Xionite Spears: Heavy spear infantry, high missile block chance, precursor weapon.
    • Yanda Spearmasters: Heavy spear infantry, heavy armour, large shield, low attack, rapid advance, precursor weapon.
    • Khingila’s Khandas: Khanda sword infantry, low attack, high block chance, medium armour, high melee defence, inexpensive.
    • Guardians of the Hindu Kush: 2H axe infantry, good armour, excellent melee defence, precursor weapon.
    • Hephtalite Chargers: Melee cavalry, high missile block chance, precursor weapon.
    • Spet Xyon Archers: Elite bow cavalry, high attack, high spear damage, light mass.

Persian unit additions:

• Sogdian Warriors.
    • Sogdian Camel Raiders.
    • Indian Elephants.

Alans Unit Roster Overhaul With the removal of certain units, visual and stat tweaks to those that remain and a slew of new units, the Alans unit roster has changed in a number of significant ways. Firstly, it’s no longer based on the Germanic core roster, and is unique in that the only infantry are melee infantry; crossbowmen, archers, spear and pike infantry have all been removed. There’s a greater focus on cavalry overall, and the Alans can field some unique pure anti-cav focused cavalry, plus a monstrous new anti-infantry steamroller in the shape of the insanely expensive Sarmatian Cataphract Lancers.
    New Alans Units:

• Alani Warriors: Aggressive melee infantry, medium armour, sword and large shield, frenzied advance.
    • Alani Swordsmen: Defensive melee infantry, medium armour, sword and large shield.
    • Sarmatian Band: Inexpensive basic melee infantry, sword and shield.
    • Sarmatian Mounted Skirmishers: Skirmisher cavalry, Javelin and sword, low attack, high damage, ideal anti-missile/mopping up.
    • Cavalry Raiders Cavalry: Skirmisher cavalry, Javelin and sword, low attack, high damage, ideal anti-missile/mopping up.
    • Mounted Sword Raiders Cavalry: Skirmisher cavalry, Javelin and sword, low attack, high damage, ideal anti-missile/mopping up.
    • Chosen Raiders Cavalry: Skirmisher cavalry, Javelin and sword, low attack, high damage, ideal anti-missile/mopping up.
    • Mounted Bows: Inexpensive horse archers.
    • Alani Horse Archers: Standard horse archers.
    • Alani Cavalry Warriors: Spear-wielding basic melee cavalry.
    • Alani Mounted Tribesmen: Unique anti-cav cavalry, flying wedge formation (bonus vs cav), medium mass, no charge bonus.
    • Alani Mounted Veterans: Unique anti-cav cavalry, flying wedge formation (bonus vs cav), medium mass, no charge bonus.
    • Alani Heavy Cataphracts: Excellent vs infantry, poor vs cav, v slow, high health and armour, small charge bonus.
    • Sarmatian Shock Cavalry: Elite shock cavalry.
    • Sarmatian Heavy Cavalry: Elite heavy cavalry.
    • Sarmatian Cataphract Lancers: Extreme charge bonus, very high cost, frenzied charge, excellent armour, High health.
    • Sarmatian Cataphract Archers: Very heavily armoured horse archers.

War is Hell, and I'm the Devil!

Default Re: Patch notes - Age of Charlemagne

Not as extensive as I had expected, to be honest.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Reduced Sassanid income bonus from Puppet States from 200% to 100%.
    Good changes all around, especially the less razing from non Hunnic Factions.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Sounds like a good update, more of what the majority of people wanted, should be a good vanilla experience now. (I'll still play with mods, but y'know. )
    Last edited by Delicate Strawberry; December 09, 2015 at 01:01 PM.
    The guy who used to test DeI and FotE on Mac.

Darios's Avatar Ex Oriente Lux

Quote Originally Posted by Arimahn View Post
    Not as extensive as I had expected, to be honest.
    The changes look subtle but in practice they should prove to be very significant. The Sassanids and Romans have been heavily re-balanced and that's going to make a world of difference.

This is a very good patch, essentially fixing a lot of stuff that people have been complaining about since Day 1.
    Under the Patronage of PikeStance

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

White Huns are probably going to be totally OP like most of the DLC factions have been. But at least the nerf to Cav charges should help make multiplayer more interesting, because its probably the least fun multi of any TW right now. R2 actually got an excellent multiplayer balance.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    The changes look subtle but in practice they should prove to be very significant. The Sassanids and Romans have been heavily re-balanced and that's going to make a world of difference.

This is a very good patch, essentially fixing a lot of stuff that people have been complaining about since Day 1.
    And I and so many others get gloating rights for winning with the WRE prior to the patch.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Akhenaton's Avatar Decanus

A good patch, I eagerly await to see it in action! Though I had hoped, that the GC would also get fertility levels like in Charlemagne. Fighting about fertile land in the late game is not so interesting, when most of the map is red and you´ve built camel ranches everywhere. Maybe something for the future...

Still, tons of good work here!
    Last edited by Akhenaton; December 09, 2015 at 01:29 PM.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

Increased the reload time of arrow towers so they fire less often.
    Finally the end of Camping each siege battleas defender around them is Over.I hope its the same rate as it was in Rome 2.

The rest of the changes are massive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    And I and so many others get gloating rights for winning with the WRE prior to the patch.
    I've killed the Sassanid Empire as the Eastern Romans...man did that feel good! (though I had to turn everything east of Armenia into the surface of the moon.)

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    Though I had hoped, that the GC would also get fertility levels like in Charlemagne. Fighting about fertile land in the late game is not so interesting, when most of the map is red and you´ve built camel ranches everywhere. Maybe something for the future...
    I'm pretty sure that the climate change tomfoolery is the Grand Campaign "working as intended." I do not like it, but that's CA's artistic license.

Grand Campaign - Apocalypse
    Last Roman - Post-Apocalyptic World
    Age of Charlemagne - "The New Dawn"

To me, there is nothing more beautiful in this game than sitting on the steppes as the Alani on Turn One; it's summer and everything looks healthy, fertile, and green. Then the Huns show up a few turns later forcing me to run for my life and the first winter is harbinger of the "badassness" that will ensue throughout this campaign...
    Last edited by Darios; December 09, 2015 at 01:35 PM.

Good patch for those who play vanilla, I hope the less razing will work well.

Good stuff overall. Big buffs to Western Rome (corruption cap and unit recruitment time) with a big nerf (tower change) for the early part. Overall, looks really good. Nice to see the Sassanids get a bit nerfed on top of dealing with a large invasion on day 1.

True enough, but these changes were easily achieved via modding before. I was hoping for things that only CA can tweak from their end.

Good patch, finally seems the Sassanids might not be unstoppable for everyone around them, and will make the Sassanid campaign perhaps a bit more interesting.

I literally won my Sassanid campaign without capturing a single territory. I made a military alliance with ERE and they steamrolled everyone without me and my friends poking at them, it was funny at first but then it became boring
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

I'm pretty sure that the climate change tomfoolery is the Grand Campaign "working as intended." I do not like it, but that's CA's artistic license.

Grand Campaign - Apocalypse
    Last Roman - Post-Apocalyptic World
    Age of Charlemagne - "The New Dawn"

To me, there is nothing more beautiful in this game than sitting on the steppes as the Alani on Turn One; it's summer and everything looks healthy, fertile, and green. Then the Huns show up a few turns later forcing me to run for my life and the first winter is harbinger of the "badassness" that will ensue throughout this campaign...
    I just finished a campaign as Hymiar, so I wouldn´t know anything about lush green fields. When I finally arrived at the Caucasus it was covered in Winter three turns a year, so no flower sowed field there either.
    I get wat the devs where aiming for and for the most I like it, but towards the endgame the climate change overkills any nuance there is. Which doesn´t matter much, because you still can get enough food to grow many big cities. Perhaps though the new changes will lead to some more challenge.
    But have you seen the fertility lvls in Charlemagne? I think you can get a glimpse in the LP of the Avars. I feel that in the GC it would have allowed the major devastation regions, while still allowing the most fertile regions to be vital food stores of your empire. Of course it would also require a major rebalance of agricultural buildings.
    Maybe it will be accesible through modding in the future.

For now, I´m trying to decide which faction to play next. I´m torn between Ostrogoths, Alani and Saxons.

I've killed the Sassanid Empire as the Eastern Romans...man did that feel good!
    As the Hymiar I spend two decades fighting them and their pesky underlings. However I had established a good powerbase in Egypt, Lybia, Aethiopia and Palestine with the Sassies as allies before (but I did not betray them!)

Quote Originally Posted by Akhenaton View Post
    For now, I´m trying to decide which faction to play next. I´m torn between Ostrogoths, Alani and Saxons.
    If you haven't tried the Ostrogoths yet then I'd recommend it. They kinda fit the "spirit" of Attila better than any other faction:

1) They're Germanic so you get to enjoy that world famous core Germanic roster
    2) They start off as migrators so you get to play with the horde mechanics
    3) They start off at war with the Huns so...good luck!
    4) They can use Roman buildings to create Roman units.

Overall, they're probably the most interesting faction to play as in the game.

If you haven't tried the Ostrogoths yet then I'd recommend it. They kinda fit the "spirit" of Attila better than any other faction:

1) They're Germanic so you get to enjoy that world famous core Germanic roster
    2) They start off as migrators so you get to play with the horde mechanics
    3) They start off at war with the Huns so...good luck!
    4) They can use Roman buildings to create Roman units.

Overall, they're probably the most interesting faction to play as in the game.
    Yeah, I was gravitating towards, since I like fielding diverse armies, giving me that "Catalaunian Plains" feeling.

Nizam's Avatar Ordinarius

so performance still s....y

Ottoman Total Overhaul received the 2nd favorite Overhaul/Compilation Mod - 2016 award!
    by_TotalWarTurkiye

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    after this patch the achievement probably wont hold the same place of honour on my showcase.

So, the AI can still just waltz right through the players choke point/zone of control? It's amazing how CA can't put out a patch without some DLC to go along side it. This should have been patched 6 months ago: "Reduced settlement and army zones-of-control"

Oh, and you will need this in siege battles.
    Last edited by stevehoos; December 09, 2015 at 07:37 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast