Thread: How will the Papacy function in this mod?

Default How will the Papacy function in this mod?

I don't know much about the modding possibilities for Rome II or Attila, but is it even possible to make the Papal States more than a standard faction? Will there be a college of cardinals, elections, crusades, etc.?

Default Re: How will the Papacy function in this mod?

This brings up an interesting chapter.

The papal states declared the crusades in Total War : Medieval and there was also a call for Jihad for the muslim factions.

That would really be fascinating indeed. The Papacy was so deflated in Age of Charlemagne. Sure they offered some missions and diplomatic bonuses but like you guys said it would be great to have them get some of their old Medieval 2 power back

I believe the answer to the OP is that the Papacy will work as well as it can within context of Attila framework, which isn't exactly great. Sadly CA has not added dedicated Curia or Papal game mechanics and no matter how hard modders might try, it's not going to be very deep.

I would assume that without some heavily scripted events the Papacy will probably have to manipulate others only thanks to positive and negative religious opinion modifiers. While this might work, to some extent, it won't be of the same scope as in Medieval 2. Which wasn't necessarily great either, but was at least a neat mechanic.

Come to think of it, I wonder whether it would be possible to script papal elections - like that one early game event in Age of Charlemagne. Speaking of AoC, it brought some nice robes for the Pope.

Making positive and negative religous opinions count heavier could be possible for the christian kingdoms, but how about the muslim kingsdoms and the call for jihad?

Yea makes sense that it's impossible for them to create a fully functioning Papacy like the one in Medieval 2, at least AoC created some sort of basis for them to work with though! Very excited to see what this mod is like, I've been clamoring for a Medieval 3 foreverrrrrrr

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Yeah too bad we dont have anything like the Med 2 warmongering sociopath of Rome. I still remember with fondness the papal states owning all of Italy and most of Africa with his unbreakable papal guard stacks of doom. Only battle I ever lost with a full stack Byzantine army in SS. Mongols? No stress. Pope Killjoy is coming? Run for the hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Yeah too bad we dont have anything like the Med 2 warmongering sociopath of Rome. I still remember with fondness the papal states owning all of Italy and most of Africa with his unbreakable papal guard stacks of doom. Only battle I ever lost with a full stack Byzantine army in SS. Mongols? No stress. Pope Killjoy is coming? Run for the hills.
    It got even funnier when you were at war with the Pope as a Catholic, and the Pope Started losing, and then tried to enforce peace.