Thread: Oriental Empires on Steam now!

Default Oriental Empires on Steam now!

Look what popped up on steam. http://store.steampowered.com/app/357310 Coming Q1 2016. Ive had my eye on this game for several months and wish it was medieval Europe instead of ancient China, still looks very interesting though.

Default Re: Oriental Empires on Steam now!

If I didn't know better I'd have said it was shogun 2 or something. Battles look extremely like TW. Still, it's not TW

Quote Originally Posted by The Guy With No Imagination View Post
    If I didn't know better I'd have said it was shogun 2 or something. Battles look extremely like TW. Still, it's not TW
    Of course it isn't TW, hopefully its better optimized and isn't chock full of DLC.

Fully satisfied that it's China and not Europe. Medieval Europe wouldn't have been fitting anyway since it is Civilization themed (the development and eolution of civilization, so it makes sense to pick a scenario that starts at the dawn of civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guy With No Imagination View Post
    yeah:

"Secondly, I wanted to have a more interesting combat system than is usual for strategy games, without slowing down gameplay by having battles be resolved separately. Thus the idea came about to have realistic looking mini battles taking place right on the strategy map. Players would have some control by setting up formations and battle plans, but would not control battles directly, meaning the battles could be resolved quickly and not bog the game down."

To me, this sounds even better than TW. You can still feel like a general, outlining the general stategies, but don't have to micromanage any unit so you might still be able to enjoy the battles (in TW they have these fancy graphics and animations, but you couldn't enjoy them anyway or you would lose the battle)

It sounds also interesting that the battles play right on the campaign map, it might be even more strategical than recent TW, where the battle terrain rarely matched the campaign map terrain.

One big question mark remains however: as this in an EA title, how feature complete is it? do you have any info about this @achilles?
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; December 08, 2015 at 04:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    Fully satisfied that it's China and not Europe. Medieval Europe wouldn't have been fitting anyway since it is Civilization themed (the development and eolution of civilization, so it makes sense to pick a scenario that starts at the dawn of civilization.

yeah:

"Secondly, I wanted to have a more interesting combat system than is usual for strategy games, without slowing down gameplay by having battles be resolved separately. Thus the idea came about to have realistic looking mini battles taking place right on the strategy map. Players would have some control by setting up formations and battle plans, but would not control battles directly, meaning the battles could be resolved quickly and not bog the game down."

To me, this sounds even better than TW. You can still feel like a general, outlining the general stategies, but don't have to micromanage any unit so you might still be able to enjoy the battles (in TW they have these fancy graphics and animations, but you couldn't enjoy them anyway or you would lose the battle)

It sounds also interesting that the battles play right on the campaign map, it might be even more strategical than recent TW, where the battle terrain rarely matched the campaign map terrain.

One big question mark remains however: as this in an EA title, how feature complete is it? do you have any info about this @achilles?
    Not sure as the EA release wont be until Q1 2016, I did read on the steam forums that the naval aspect of the game wont be started until EA releases with it being fully fleshed out for the games official release supposedly. The developer/s so far have been pretty good about activity/answering questions on the games steam page discussion.

^^
    saw your thread, sounds good, looks like they set the right priorities.

The EA release will be a fully playable game. It will feature just one scenario, but the historical map is huge, and you'll be able to play a variety of factions with different abilities and starting positions.

The main features to be added after EA are naval units, random maps,multi-player and Steam achievements.

also loled at that one:

Yes the game has leaders on the map, that you can use as generals, admirals or city governors. If they live to old age, they'll live around 100 turns. That's quite a long time compared to the time the game covers, but if we gave them realistic lifespans, they'd be dead before you learned their names

RomeII anyone?

Hamata's Avatar Civis

http://steamcommunity.com/app/357310...scn=1450076197 guy's i asked them about mod support and here is what they are planning