Thread: What would your feelings be if Tuskmods core happened to be branching out?

Default What would your feelings be if Tuskmods core happened to be branching out?

I ask this, because a modder friend by the name of Celticus has offered to make a realism-emphasized version of Tuskmod that would be updated in parallel to the one I have been making, and I am really liking a lot of what is coming out of his efforts, namely, what he has done with the cavalry and unit formations for various factions is actually extremely cool, and his efforts to trick the battle AI into being smarter tend to be... Pretty successful. Of course, the reason why thing are branching out was born over a sort of.... Friendly competitive spirit that came about over the areas we weren't 100% on the same page 'bout. As such, we naturally fell into the pattern where it was most fun for us to maintain three separate versions, one completely me, one completely him, and one that tries to be a far better compromise.

More importantly, the friendly competition that has been going on for the past few days has done one thing. It has made me want to explore the files of Tuskmod, and the base game a lot more. With this, I only stand to learn more about the game, and to learn how to make a better mod in the process. His pestering alone has lead to me learning/discovering how to fix several bugs. (Cohors talking about spears, anyone?) Of course, its all been fun, so, in the end, it also results in me spending more time working on the mod. (Its kinda the perfect solution to trying to preserve my vision, but also not wanting to work alone.)

In addition to this, you would see a massive increase in the level of options when it comes to enjoying tuskmod. Obviously, you would see my fairly recognizable and easy to pick up version that the tournament community liked so much for some time, and his realism version, but we are also working on trying to hold together a "Happy Middle Ground" version, which we both tend to call the tournament version for one reason: It will put functional diversity and balance above all else, be it realism, or... I am not quite sure what to call my version, albeit, we have thrown the word "Arcade" around. I guess I will think of it as "Darthlike-Arcade."

The most interesting thing about this is that we are almost certainly going to be able to maintain the the three versions while keeping very similar Land/Main units tables (Pretty much just weight classes will be different in most cases, and even that will likely go away with time.) These tables are huge, huge megatables that define the bulk of the game to most total war players, as they are the units themselves.

As such, I wanted to announce, and also seek your feedback on the idea of having someone else making their own interpretation of tuskmod in addition to just me.

Of course, I hope you guys are as excited as I am.

As for collaborations with other modders/content creators. I am also putting in efforts to find individuals who have the drive to make the first unofficial submods, while also testing the waters regarding some other Tuskmod related content.

Default Re: What would your feelings be if Tuskmods core happened to be branching out?

I am glad to be working with you and I hope that other Tusk fans will be able to enjoy some of the experimental and interesting changes we have cooking.

Default Re: What would your feelings be if Tuskmods core happened to be branching out?

^Totally Celticus by another alias, FYI. Forgot to ask him what is forum name was.

The amount of choice you guys will gain access too... Will be immense from this.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Awesome, I guess this is a good as time as any to sub to the subforum. I remember the name a while back when Maximus praised it up and down.

I've had a break from Attila due to the incompatibility of DLC and MP, but I want get back in and see what's cooking under the frying pan of modding single player. Very happy to see this and it's a perfect time to start a new journey.

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Can I recommend the temporarily unhidden beta with the dynamic garrisons submod?

For realism? absolutely

The much more realistic version of tusk is getting a lot of progress made on it. Right now, we are working on some basic AI elements.

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post
    Can I recommend the temporarily unhidden beta with the dynamic garrisons submod?
    Sounds good. Being away from Attila for 4-5 months means I'm currently lacking context. Do you keep a change log?

~Wille
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

I have started doing so on the normal steam versions changelog feature, simply because it is.... A very user friendly change-log system.

Quote Originally Posted by Walrusjones View Post
    The much more realistic version of tusk is getting a lot of progress made on it. Right now, we are working on some basic AI elements.
    Sounds great, looking forward to a release!

Yuko's Avatar Campidoctor

That sounds interesting, looking forward to it!