Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 64 Bit?? Improved optimization over Atilla?

Default 64 Bit?? Improved optimization over Atilla?

I haven't kept up with Warhammer at all but I am starting to get more intrigued after watching that campaign map play through today, it looked incredible to say the least. So much more detail than anything I have ever seen before but as we know all the nice pretty things come with a hefty price lately with this engine and the recent games from CA.

Will Warhammer finally get the 64bit engine, dx12 and improved optimization?

Thanks.

Default Re: 64 Bit?? Improved optimization over Atilla?

Quote Originally Posted by Jasheon View Post
    I haven't kept up with Warhammer at all but I am starting to get more intrigued after watching that campaign map play through today, it looked incredible to say the least. So much more detail than anything I have ever seen before but as we know all the nice pretty things come with a hefty price lately with this engine and the recent games from CA.

Thanks.
    They haven't said this when asked and just went with a standard political-speak answer so I would assume none on all counts, and just as bad performance as Attila until proven otherwise by independent benchmarking.

Come on CA, a move to 64-bit for the next Engine please (Though I'm told the advantages are not actually that major).
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

What a pity, the engine is fine for the most part except for when big melee groups engage then its horrible lag no matter what beast of a PC you have. Been that way since ETW, now for some reason NTW did not have that issue, and Rome2 was really bad at launch but cleaned up a good bit once the EE came out.

I will just assume like Davidtheduke said and that it will be horrible at launch with slim chances of it being better after a few patches because its on the same engine as all the rest. I will not buy at launch for this reason.

I guess they cant implement 64bit into the engine, only reason they haven't done it yet. I just wish someone from CA would just break down and tell us instead of always shying away from the damn questions.
    Last edited by Jasheon; December 03, 2015 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks.
    Rem looks can be deceiving, the campaign map might look great but does the rest of it? And regards the engine disappointing no unless CA release a statement otherwise. Why am not buying full price from CA until a new engine...

I think that's fair, they put in the cash+effort I'll reward them.

Optimisation and CA, yeah...
    ''When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace''.Jimi Hendrix

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

You can ask for optimization or just think like big companies and rob people so you can afford 10 000€ computer.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

I have a feeling that TW:Warhammer trilogy, plus an unnamed historical TW game (WWI/II? Victoria? Medieval?) will be the last games with sub-DX12/Win10 compatibility, mostly for business reasons (trying not to alienate people who've upgraded recently, but before the DX12/Win10 buzz).

Considering Attila is 64-bit only to my understanding, they'll likely be 64-bit as well, might even feature some kind of light optimisation for Win10 users who own a DX12 graphic card. But again, light optimisation on game's launch or post-launch is not the same thing as writing the game specifically for the 64-bit, DX12/Win10 environment, both in business and development sense.
    Last edited by lavez; December 15, 2015 at 11:58 AM.

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Looking at the latest Steam HW survey, about 87% of Windows gamers are on a 64-bit OS. If we prune the data to only include currently SUPPORTED Windows versions (e.g. Win 7/8/10), then that number jumps slightly to 90%. To me, 64-bit would be a no-brainer.

On the other hand, DX12-only support would be problematic. I see 66.7% of Steam gamers have a DX12 compliant GPU+OS, so they'd cut out nearly a 3rd of their market if they drop DX11. I imagine it would cost significant resources to support both DX11 and DX12, but they've set a precedent for supporting two D3D APIs in the past (e.g. Shogun 2 w/ DX10 and DX11 support). Wouldn't hold my breath either way.
    Last edited by SPARTAN VI; December 10, 2015 at 06:19 PM.

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    On the other hand, DX12-only support would be problematic. I see 66.7% of Steam gamers have a DX12 compliant GPU+OS, so they'd cut out nearly a 3rd of their market if they drop DX11.
    That might change by the time the game is launched if the next gen gpus hit the market in time.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    That might change by the time the game is launched if the next gen gpus hit the market in time.
    As long as it's backward compatible I don't see the problem if a 1/3 doesn't have the hardware. Maybe making things backward compatible is extremely hard, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    Looking at the latest Steam HW survey, about 87% of Windows gamers are on a 64-bit OS. If we prune the data to only include currently SUPPORTED Windows versions (e.g. Win 7/8/10), then that number jumps slightly to 90%. To me, 64-bit would be a no-brainer.

On the other hand, DX12-only support would be problematic. I see 66.7% of Steam gamers have a DX12 compliant GPU+OS, so they'd cut out nearly a 3rd of their market if they drop DX11. I imagine it would cost significant resources to support both DX11 and DX12, but they've set a precedent for supporting two D3D APIs in the past (e.g. Shogun 2 w/ DX10 and DX11 support). Wouldn't hold my breath either way.

So you think it's not worth it to make the game better for 2/3 of the consumers, possibly more by the time the full trilogy is out ? It wouldn't change a thing for those who can't use dx12 as making a dx12 game work with dx11 is very easy. Is it not worth a bit of money and time considering how important it could be for the genre in general and the future historical total wars in particulat ?

It's just another disappointing decision among others, it really looks like they take 0 risk with this game and any feature that is deemed "too complicated" (dogs of war/mercenaries system, underground maps, cool building icons, dx12, navies, truly new game mechanics and not integrity 2.0 + same old raiding stances) gets the chop as the brits would say.

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    So you think it's not worth it to make the game better for 2/3 of the consumers, possibly more by the time the full trilogy is out ? It wouldn't change a thing for those who can't use dx12 as making a dx12 game work with dx11 is very easy. Is it not worth a bit of money and time considering how important it could be for the genre in general and the future historical total wars in particulat ?

It's just another disappointing decision among others, it really looks like they take 0 risk with this game and any feature that is deemed "too complicated" (dogs of war/mercenaries system, underground maps, cool building icons, dx12, navies, truly new game mechanics and not integrity 2.0 + same old raiding stances) gets the chop as the brits would say.
    As a consumer, I obviously want the 'better' option, which is DX12 compliance. From the business perspective, CA would probably prefer the path of least resistance and the largest install base. Of course, if they can have their cake and eat it too (DX12 and DX11 compliance at zero/little cost), why the not?

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

Laetus

To me Dx 12 is a no brainer. I would like CA to have full multicore and hyper threading support because with how big this game will be especially with the trilogy I would like to use the full power of my cpu instead of being limited to 1 or 2 cores.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    They haven't said this when asked and just went with a standard political-speak answer so I would assume none on all counts, and just as bad performance as Attila until proven otherwise by independent benchmarking.
    it is really bad the last 2 games were benchmarked to death and they never used more than 50% of the cpu cycles while giving us horrible fps. If there is an argument for a new engine, this is the most legit reason I can think of.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Indefinitely Banned

They should have used the same engine that STW2 was using.

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoise Groudon View Post
    They should have used the same engine that STW2 was using.
    They have.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; December 23, 2015 at 06:57 PM.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    They have.
    Yes but they pushed it over its technical edge with graphical details, battle animations and shaders whilst removing DX 11 tesselation completely which they successfully introduced with Shogun 2.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

Hahaha NO. As long as you keep buying it, they'll keep selling it.

Even worse, they seem to aim to make TOTAL WARHAMMER a trilogy (like the Starcraft 2 trilogy, Blizz sell THREE (3) games for $60 EACH) so this 32bit DX11 might be locked in for half a decade or more.

Think about it - all the units in upcoming expansions or other WARHAMMER tw must work with the first TWH, right? Pathing, physics, animations, graphics, AI. So how can they possibly upgrade the engine halfway through? We might be stuck with slightly better than Attila level for a long long time.

The first Starcraft 2 game ("Wings of Liberty") came out in 2010.

The last Starcraft 2 game ("Legacy of the Void") came out in 2015.

The engine didn't change, graphics didn't change, animations didn't change, most things are the same - just some new units, new maps, new campaign missions. It is very clear 2015 Starcraft is just like 2010 Starcraft.

I expect something very similar to happen with TOTAL WARHAMMER.

I have overclocked i7-2600k + GTX 980 Ti +16GB RAM. I get max 45fps @ 1080p at max settings in Attila. I have seen benchmarks of $3000 PCs not being able to get 60fps @ 1080p in Attila. This is ridiculous. My hardware is capable of so much more. Creative Assembly, YOU are LAZY programmers. This is the best computer guys England has to offer? Pathetic. Fix your . PC gamers know better. Why you make us mad, we are not consoles, we are not slaves, there are other ways of doing things.

Quote Originally Posted by myaku View Post
    The first Starcraft 2 game ("Wings of Liberty") came out in 2010.

The last Starcraft 2 game ("Legacy of the Void") came out in 2015.

The engine didn't change, graphics didn't change, animations didn't change, most things are the same - just some new units, new maps, new campaign missions. It is very clear 2015 Starcraft is just like 2010 Starcraft.
    Um, actually the graphics did change. Although they were only minor improvements - new postprocessing, higher res versions of textures etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast