Thread: Carthage depicted in Grand campaign

Default Carthage depicted in Grand campaign

I played Carthage for the first time around 2 weeks ago, and I was totally surprised by 2 features : frustration, and its efficient/fantastic unit roster.

I felt horrible frustration of its initial challenge in one side, and I had so much fun with its unit roster and culture.
    After first campaign victory, I was working on its historical details because mainly Carthage gets absurd difficulties from historical error. And I developed few questions ;

1.Qart-Hadasht city was built in 227 BC, am I wrong? Why there is Nova Carthago, 50 years earlier than Carthaginian conquest on Iberian peninsula?
    It is main reason of frustration because player must meet heavy barbarian resistance far before he is ready for it, and Nova carthago is not so helpful nor historically correct(by the books I read). and I feel it is wrong if there is city which never existed in 274 BC and it's giving player nothing but frustration.

2.Libyan Tribes. What I know is they were under Carthaginian rule, and there was some rebellion in Libyan tribes(evidence of absence of advanced administration, I guess) after first punic war.
    But, can it be depicted as half-independent "client state"? I don't have any information about them.

Libya also gives player such pain in the butt because it has bad relations with neighboring tribes but Carthage itself can have good relation with those tribes. mainly ending up with 3 enemies(Garamantia, Nasamones, Cyrenaica) or 2 lost settlement in Africa(if player betrays Libya and makes peace with other 3). And I'm not sure if independent Libya is historically correct.

if they are wrong, I think I will remove those 2 factions from the game.

3.and....it is nothing but personal curiosity. Is there anybody visited Carthage? If there is, what it's like?

Atlas5515's Avatar Foederatus

Default Re: Carthage depicted in Grand campaign

First off, most of the cities in this game didn't exist when the game starts, but you have to be able to conquer something Also it's very possible there was a city in that exact same spot, until they were invaded and the conquerors "founded" a new city.

Second, Carthage had quite an advanced administrative system, but that doesn't preclude rebellion. I don't know who was really in control of that region in 272 BC or the degree of their autonomy, but if you took out everything that wasn't historically accurate, you would have a very empty map (even Rome would consist almost entirely of dependancies). Carthage eventually gained at least nominal authority over of all the territory over there that really mattered though (the strip of population along the coast) but I have no idea if it was unbroken or not or how deep it extended. I do agree that carthage is too weak though. It was either Carthage or Rome that was poised to take over the mediterranean, and you don't get the same sense of fear and desperation during these wars playing as Rome. But that's ok, it is 'Rome Total War' after all.

Third, can't help you there. Love those Tunisian dates though.

I appreciate your comment because it is first comment for my quick-reply or thread ever. Oohhh-whoo! I feel alive. Thank you for your kind attention.

Anyway, I see your concern and kinda understand it. Yes. Empty map will look horrible, and it should work as video game first since it is not a documentary film...but it is historical game after all. I saw one guy saying "Oh, don't whine about all some 'historical details' you see." it was years ago and it still grinds my gear because IT IS historical game and history shouldn't be mentioned like some piece of useless garbage. And...if wrong historical details give player more fun, I wouldn't argue about it. but wrong historical details in grand campaign destroying fun also, and that is why I protest about it. It could be more funny if it is historically correct.

You know, Nova Carthago never existed until Hamicar's conquest of Iberian Peninsula. And it is, also, main cause of frustration for Carthage. I mean...Nova Carthago exists 274 BC, and it have territories on Africa, not Iberian peninsula? Oh, Carthage has all the "Nova Carthago" territories somehow and "Nova Carthago" took precious Carthaginian territories! It looks hilarious, it is just wrong in every aspect of game, and it gives chunk of unreasonable frustration to players.

I see title is 'Rome Total War', but I don't think it is right. Protagonist should have worthy enemy, aren't they? I think arch enemy of Rome(in Grand Campaign) is Arverni or Seleucid. Vanilla Carthage always get raped by some neighboring tribes. That's why I made a personal mod giving Carthage its territories back.

P.S.Still, not sure about Libya though. I'm like 100% sure about removing Nova Carthago from the game, but not sure if I can remove Libya.

3.Sorry to hear that. I want to visit Carthage one day in my life, but I heard there are some ISIS activities in Tunisia.

The direct control of the Hinterland of the Carthagian cities was rather small. Around those cities were a hinterland of 15 to 30 km which they directly controlled and were nobleman had their estades. Between the first and second punic war there was a general discurs about the direction of expansion. While the Barcids wanted to exploit Iberia, the Hannoids wanted to get direct control of the Lybian Hinterland. I wonder if the romans would have found another excuse for a war if they would have taken die african approach and had left Iberia alone.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

They should have a script to rename it to Cartago Nova once you conquer that region. Doesnt look so hard to me. whats the point of making Rome II a decade after the first one if you cant implement new features. thats why Rome II sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Torment1234 View Post
    3.and....it is nothing but personal curiosity. Is there anybody visited Carthage? If there is, what it's like?
    Hello I have been to Tunisia and Carthage. Pretty amazing place but VERY dangerous and dodgy for westerners. There are some fantastic ruins. The main hill which Carthage stood was razed after the 3rd Punic War. The Romans didn't plan on having a City there but after a new port turned out to be not reliable in the near by area they had to rebuild Carthage. The Antonine baths are great and I saw a nice Amphitheatre also. There is one site which is completely grown over and in between trees and shrubs there are amazing mosaics, which was a former palace or something similar.