Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Default Re: The Expanse

Wow, what an amazing episode. The last minutes were so intense that I almost didnt breathe despite knowing pretty much exactly what was gonna happen . It is already probably the best show, and its getting even better with every episode. Steven Strait acting breakdown very well done, and of course not even talking about Thomas Jane

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

let that be a lesson to you, kids, dont overuse the coffee

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I'm so ing happy it got picked up. After losing Dark Matter I couldn't lose this as well.

This season has been great so far.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Just started watching this show, no idea how it escaped my radar so long. Mindblowing show, probably my favorite piece of television since Spartacus.

Been binging and are now on s03e07

let that be a lesson to you, kids, dont overuse the coffee
    It can take you places.

I'm so ing happy it got picked up. After losing Dark Matter I couldn't lose this as well.

This season has been great so far.
    That is indeed good news.
    Btw Rocinante model is going into space? The fans have spoken.

On a side note Cara Gee is adorable.

Gaming Emeritus

It went to space few weeks ago (during the campaign)

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    It went to space few weeks ago (during the campaign)
    Take that Elon Musk!

Blog Entries

Pretty much as close as we will ever get to a filler episode, but it was a GOOD filler episode.

Also showed that the side characters could carry the show on their own.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Pretty much as close as we will ever get to a filler episode, but it was a GOOD filler episode.
    Really? A filler it would be, if the story didnt move forward, which is the exact opposite of what happened, there just wasnt that much action... Funny that there is so much plot, since the entire 3rd book was condensed into just a few episodes (unlike the previous two books), that it feels like a filler to some people...

Also showed that the side characters could carry the show on their own.
    They already showed that in s03e05 Triple Point marvelously, where we barely knew any of main characters of that episode (unlike here), but they managed to give us one of the best episodes

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

I think I'm gonna stop watching this show. I don't know how much more awesomeness I can endure.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

10/10 finale best sci fi show.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    10/10 finale best sci fi show.

I'll counter, slightly. It was definitely rushed. From what I understand they crammed Abaddon's Gate (book 3) into the last seven episodes, whereas book 1 got 15 episodes and book 2 got 14 episodes...So 3 had half the episodes. I think, though, that they did that knowing there was a high likelihood of cancellation (which they were right on) and wanted to end it at least SOMEWHERE interesting but also fitting. I doubt that whole story would have needed 7 more episodes but maybe 1-2 more to cover the events of the book better would have been fine.

Either way, thank god for Amazon.

I think it's time to read the books though.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

...I think it's time to read the books though.
    ...bookwise, this story only gets better and better. I crammed the whole series (so far) in the last couple of months and am impatient for book 8.

Gaming Emeritus

Amazing finale indeed. The Best sci if out there for sure. Will be a long year of wating

I'll counter, slightly. It was definitely rushed. From what I understand they crammed Abaddon's Gate (book 3) into the last seven episodes, whereas book 1 got 15 episodes and book 2 got 14 episodes...So 3 had half the episodes. I think, though, that they did that knowing there was a high likelihood of cancellation (which they were right on) and wanted to end it at least SOMEWHERE interesting but also fitting. I doubt that whole story would have needed 7 more episodes but maybe 1-2 more to cover the events of the book better would have been fine.

Either way, thank god for Amazon.

I think it's time to read the books though.
    Well, the pace was definitely faster, but they didnt left out anything important. This book was way different than previous two, taking place pretty much only in The Ring, so it was expectable it wouldnt have so many episodes.. They cut the first parts, where everyone was travelling to The Ring, and new characters were introduced. Then it was pretty much the same till the battle for Behemoth, which was way larger and more detailed (pretty much all the last third of the book), where was first a mutiny led by Ashford to make himself a captain, and then there was a counter mutiny to stop him, lot of dead people... Thats something that would be cool to see, but is not actually that important in the end... The main difference was they cut out many new characters and used the characters we already know to take their roles, especialy on Behemoth, where both Ashford and Drummer are combination of several other book characters, and Drummer/Bobbie wasnt even there in the books... Lot of the new characters died in the end anyway, and since they didnt have so many episodes for this, it was a necessary compromise I suppose.

There is more than enough books (7 currently, with 8 and 9 planned. Plus a bunch of small novells, they already used some), so we dont need to worry about running out with material
    Last edited by Jadli; June 29, 2018 at 04:39 AM.

I love what they did with Cotyar compared to the books. That actor is fun in every other series I've seen him do a supporting role in...was nice to see him support for more than three or four episodes.
    Last edited by Gaidin; June 30, 2018 at 03:49 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blog Entries

Cotyar was great, and it was nice seeing him as a protagonist for once.

Speaking of which

Hannibal2001's Avatar Simply Barbaric

I just finished watching the last episode of this season and so far I'm just astonished of how good the writing is so far. Almost if not impecable. I didn't read the books yet but they are without doubt on my to do list.

I can also conclude that the most shocking and best received comeback was not Miller but his hat. That hat is amazing let's be honest
    And here I go rewatching the whole 3 seasons till the next one arrives. The wait is gonna be a pain...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal2001 View Post
    The wait is gonna be a pain...
    Ah yes, but at least we have something to wait for.

Imagine if it had not been picked up by Amazon, and ended right there.

Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    I love what they did with Cotyar compared to the books. That actor is fun in every other series I've seen him do a supporting role in...was nice to see him support for more than three or four episodes.
    Yea, and he is not alone. Several characters, who in the books didnt get much space and were only one dimensional, were improved a lot for the show, such as Errinwright or Ashford. In general, almost all changes to the books are usually only slight improvement, extensions and explanations, as it should. Only change I didnt like a bit so far was the end of the 2nd book, where in the books Avasarale was way more active in ending the war over Io. But on the other hand, the stuff we got in the show, with Agatha King and Hammurabi, was great too...

I think this show is one of the best book adaptations ever, this is exactly the way an adaptation should be handled. Though, great part on this very likely also have the fact, that the book authors are very actively participating in the creation of the show. Shame GRRM stopped doing that with GoT very soon
    Last edited by Jadli; July 01, 2018 at 07:09 AM.