Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Default Re: The Expanse

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Oh look. A cherished show of mine has been cancelled by Syfy...AGAIN

At least it looks like they are shopping it elsewhere. It does well on both Netflix (internationally) and Amazon (In the US) so hopefully one of those two will pick it up.

I sure hope so. Even if it doesn't I can always read the books but...damn this show is good and I would hate to lose it.
    3 seasons, just like Dark Matter. Oh well. Always felt it was in danger, this one looked expensive.

And Fox cancelled Brooklyn 99 (to be fair, 5 season is a good run and since I'm not that far into it yet so I can't judge it was the right time)

Seems like Fox and Syfy are the worst when it comes to cancelling decent tv shows
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; May 11, 2018 at 02:12 AM.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Oh my god... This is the best sci-fi show ever, and pretty much the best show currently running....

These medieval TV stations deciding on shows depending on how many ppl watch it live are hilarious, especially Syfy...

Im however pretty confident it will continue elsewhere, as Alcon wants it to continue, and Netflix or Amazon will very likely want to have it. In the end, it might be way better for the show anyway, to be on Netflix or Amazon, as it would get better advertised and more ppl get to see it.
    Although, if it doesnt, Im gonna burn the whole Syfy to the ground, as this is happening way too often... (SGU remembers)

Or we just send Chrisjen...
    Last edited by Jadli; May 11, 2018 at 03:46 AM.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Aaand it's cancalled, so long folks.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Aaand it's cancalled, so long folks.
    bit late to the party, arent we

considering its critical acclaim, i too am resonably confident it will get picked up. firefly even got a movie, hopefully some execs have learned from the past.

http://tvline.com/2018/05/11/the-exp...season-4-syfy/

Syfy only has first-run linear rights to air the show in the United States, meaning the cabler doesn’t get to cash in on digital/streaming rights.

Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson, Alcon Entertainment CEOs, said. “We respect Syfy’s decision to end this partnership but given the commercial and critical success of the show, we fully plan to pursue other opportunities for this terrific and original IP.”

i dont know jack about the buisness, but no digital/streaming rights? that sounds pretty dumb.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

I'm reading the books now and have become the type of fan who fully intends to buy the DVDs - isn't that market lucrative for the producers? I often wonder about why the longevity of DVD sales doesn't seem to factor into TV show production costing. It makes no sense to me to pay for a years worth of cable TV to watch Game of Thrones (for example) when I can watch it for 30$ a year - which is what I do. If I like the show or it's got enough hype, I buy it. I even buy crap shows when they're cheap enough .

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    They've clearly toned down Avasarala's language for the TV version, that's disappointing - I really like her filthy gutter mouth in the books. I have some small experience in working in government, and her language and attitude gives authenticity to that which truly underlies the formal etiquette.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; May 11, 2018 at 09:00 PM.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

You know everytime this happens because after Battlestar Galactica almost every SciFi show on SyFy went for "space opera" route. People eventually get bored of this . It started with Season 4 of BSG to Stargate Universe, damn weak drama in space. People don't want politics or any other equality crap on space.

You know everytime this happens because after Battlestar Galactica almost every SciFi show on SyFy went for "space opera" route. People eventually get bored of this
    . It started with Season 4 of BSG to Stargate Universe, damn weak drama in space. People don't want politics or any other equality crap on space.

This is either a lie or someone who doesn't pay attention to what Syfy puts out.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    This is either a lie or someone who doesn't pay attention to what Syfy puts out.
    Actually, he has a point. However in the case of The Expanse, the problem mostly comes from the source material (which I have read btw). The authors are careful to conform to 2010s progressive values. It doesn't always stand out, because the novels aren't terrible, but it's still obvious if you've read them.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Actually, he has a point. However in the case of The Expanse, the problem mostly comes from the source material (which I have read btw). The authors are careful to conform to 2010s progressive values. It doesn't always stand out, because the novels aren't terrible, but it's still obvious if you've read them.
    Well no, half of syfy's shows literally have nothing to do with the very idea of space opera. In fact, The Expanse is literally their only space opera. Now we can argue just how bad this deal was for syfy and wonder aloud why they themselves walked into it and why they haven't turned their own online website into more modern streaming capabilities like pretty much every other god damn channel and the kitchen sink has so that they could make money off the streaming as well instead of having to hand it off to both netflix and amazon instead of be resigned to just a one-and-done hopeful money grab when it airs.

But in the end, literally, The Expanse is literally their only space opera. Either gastovski is lying or he doesn't know jack about what syfy puts out for its fictional tv shows.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

just the usual suspects being uncomfortable about not having their little private realities pandered to. we had a whole thread about filthy degenerate SJW progressives taking over star trek, remember?

Scifi is more often forwards looking, while fantasy often looks backwards, so it has a special apeal to reactionaries: fantasy can be used to construct an idealized past, without the downsides of reality. oc, everyone likes fantasy for that reason, as a means of escapism, but an idealized past is what conservatism is all about, after all.

so, oc the expanse has modern ideas, its not a reactionary fantasy land. go read starship troopers, my snowflake friends.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    just the usual suspects being uncomfortable about not having their little private realities pandered to. we had a whole thread about filthy degenerate SJW progressives taking over star trek, remember?

Scifi is more often forwards looking, while fantasy often looks backwards, so it has a special apeal to reactionaries: fantasy can be used to construct an idealized past, without the downsides of reality. oc, everyone likes fantasy for that reason, as a means of escapism, but an idealized past is what conservatism is all about, after all.

so, oc the expanse has modern ideas, its not a reactionary fantasy land. go read starship troopers, my snowflake friends.
    That's rather debatable with the type of fantasy that The Magicians is(urban fantasy). They can get just as "sci-fi" in their story telling as legit science fiction. They're not exactly going Terry Brooks on us with that show. And moreover, they're not just attracting more viewers, but more viewers per dollar spent in realtime than The Expanse.
    Last edited by Gaidin; May 12, 2018 at 01:02 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

even urban fantasy shares some tropes with other fantasy, thats why its fantasy. a magician is still a wizard.

and im not saying all fantasy is exclusively backwards looking, modern fantasy isnt stuck in tolkienland. but it takes its cues from the past more often than not.

anyway, my post was more about the rubbish explanations of viewer preferences people will come up with once their political preferences arent pandered to.

havent seen the magicians myself, any good? from what i glean in pictures and description, it looks more hipster than urban, and is still about old fantasy stuff from the fairy tale books.

havent seen the magicians myself, any good? from what i glean in pictures and description, it looks more hipster than urban, and is still about old fantasy stuff from the fairy tale books.
    Pretty fun. Hipster wasn't the first word I'd have used to describe the story style, but I can see where you come from there. All urban fantasy really means is fantasy set after the industrial revolution with the character and setting conflicts that provokes.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

The Magicians is...Interesting. Think dark Harry Potter that quickly establishes its own identity.

I wish they would actually use magic more though.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Either gastovski is lying or he doesn't know jack about what syfy puts out for its fictional tv shows.
    The point I was referring to was his dig at shows that include "politics or any other equality crap on space", not the technical definition of a space opera or Syfy's programme.

Can you go like five minutes without making ad homs or using loaded terms? Allso, the best fiction doesn't need to pander to anyone. Not even to the private little realities of oh so enlightened "progressive" folk.

Blog Entries

Props worker for the show says Netflix is out, and that Amazon is interested.

But he also said the series only has until Monday until sets start coming down to be sold or scrapped.

So it's gonna be an interesting 24 hours. I have tomorrow cleared so I'm gonna be using all the "contact us" features available for Amazon and spamming the out of it because after losing Dark Matter I don't want to lose this one too.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    The point I was referring to was his dig at shows that include "politics or any other equality crap on space", not the technical definition of a space opera or Syfy's programme.

Can you go like five minutes without making ad homs or using loaded terms? Allso, the best fiction doesn't need to pander to anyone. Not even to the private little realities of oh so enlightened "progressive" folk.
    In which ways is this show "pandering to the private little realities of oh so enlightened progressive folk"? I'm really intrigued now.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    Props worker for the show says Netflix is out, and that Amazon is interested.

But he also said the series only has until Monday until sets start coming down to be sold or scrapped.

So it's gonna be an interesting 24 hours. I have tomorrow cleared so I'm gonna be using all the "contact us" features available for Amazon and spamming the out of it because after losing Dark Matter I don't want to lose this one too.
    Sounds like a plan

Blog Entries

Supposedly...the day to demolish the sets has been pushed back and the producers have met with Amazon this weekend.

Hopefully something good is coming.

REMEMBER THE CANT CUZ JEFF BEZOS DOES

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...amazon-1113803

also, they are doing Consider Phlebas?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...amazon-1086840