Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Default Re: The Expanse

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    The mysticism only started creeping in later.
    What show were you watching and I so totally saw the Arrow of Apollo, and the hallucinations creepily lining up with the prophecies. All in Season 1.

And that is why the protomolecule represents a massive game changer, that can allow that particular path to be followed.
    It is a massive game changer. But no, not in that fashion.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

And that is why the protomolecule represents a massive game changer, that can allow that particular path to be followed.
    Don't see how - as of book six, there isn't really any mysticism involved. The things surrounding the protomolecule are mysterious, sure, but "mystical", as in religion or spiritualism, or bull TV series such as Lost? Hell no. As much as the authors said they wanted to create a space opera, this series is actually both that and true science fiction.

I don't mind contained mysticism that you see in Star Wars, which is a space opera.

But BSG started out as pretty hard scifi, and then went off at a tangent.

I haven't read the books, but like Game of Thrones, the production team of the Expanse has a great deal of latitude as to how they'll present it to us. and as I stated clearly, DON'T DRINK THE BSG KOOLAID.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

But BSG started out as pretty hard scifi, and then went off at a tangent.
    Again what show were you watching?

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I don't mind contained mysticism that you see in Star Wars, which is a space opera.
    Well yeah, better that than a social agenda. Then again, the new SW movies have both...

I haven't read the books, but like Game of Thrones, the production team of the Expanse has a great deal of latitude as to how they'll present it to us.
    The books are entertaining, but pretty hard sci fi as far as mainstream novels go.

WRT Game of Thrones, none of the changes in plot, story, or character line-up of the adaptation really change the underlying fantasy and literary themes, do they?

Sorry for the necro, but once again I am late to the party and just finished with season 2.

Absolutely love it, though last two episodes I found myself getting frustrated with the Rocci crew and not in a good way.

But I have a question to ask, does the show veer enough from the books to where reading them would not spoil the show? I don't mean major plot points, I mean if I read the books can the show still surprise me and leave me with that what's going to happen next feeling?

Quote Originally Posted by ggsimmonds View Post
    But I have a question to ask, does the show veer enough from the books to where reading them would not spoil the show? I don't mean major plot points, I mean if I read the books can the show still surprise me and leave me with that what's going to happen next feeling?
    What you get are presentation differences. There are certain scenes that would make for really good drama that never made it into the book(like say the martians landing on earth) as they were never a POV chapter. And other scenes make for boring tv action scenes, like when Bobby gets her awesome armor and retakes the ship in a gunfight she really just walks over people, so there really going monologue for someone which makes sense, as the more interesting part is how she gets to her armor as far as visual tv goes. The interesting tv sometimes is how they implement certain spacebattles and some of the betrayals that get put in there, and some of the politics that are in the tv show that aren't in the book but are in the tv show because characters are brought in a book early.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Finally.

Though I would prefer a proper trailer.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Bring it! Lovin' it so far. Looking forward to see the story evolve.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

bring on the spess mehreens! on a sidenote, finally watching the last season of The Strain, disctrated because Alex Kamal plays a bad guy in there

So, when does the next season begin?

Quote Originally Posted by Sar1n View Post
    I don't know. If only someone were to post in this thread a video that shows the premiere date.

Quote Originally Posted by ggsimmonds View Post
    I don't know. If only someone were to post in this thread a video that shows the premiere date.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Shortly after the release of Europa Barbarorum III, it seems...

I don't watch the trailers, they spoil things.

Eh, this one is just 20 seconds of flashing imagery. Doesn't really reveal anything.

Blog Entries

Yeah you could pretty much watch it without fear of spoilers if you haven't even seen seasons 1-2

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Here you go.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Blog Entries

This one DEFINITELY shows a bit too much. Just FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post

This one DEFINITELY shows a bit too much. Just FYI
    Going from the trailer it looks like the show may have got a pretty good boost to its budget.

That is a good thing right?