Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Default Re: The Expanse

Good thing there are more than ten episodes this season, otherwise I would find the finale rather forced.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

The Expanse got renewed for a third season.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

That was unexpected. I'm sure noone is watching this show on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Great!!!

It may be less riskier to keep on a hit, and use it to introduce new series, than to start from scratch with cheaper shows by themselves.

MathiasOfAthens's Avatar Comes Rei Militaris

I've seen shows cancelled with less ratings. Really hope Sci Fi doesnt cancel this because it is one of the best science fiction shows since idk what.

Don't drink the BSG koolaid, don't drink the BSG koolaid ...

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

what a coinkidink, lee adama, space layer, just made me drink it

Excellent. Just watched s2 episode 6, I feel series 1 was a bit of a slow build up, but now the pace has picked up.

uhh, BSG

Quote Originally Posted by MathiasOfAthens View Post
    I've seen shows cancelled with less ratings. Really hope Sci Fi doesnt cancel this because it is one of the best science fiction shows since idk what.
    No doubt. Though I also enjoy Dark Matter. After I'm done with Expanse s2 I will try my luck with Killjoys.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; March 27, 2017 at 06:01 PM.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

really enjoyed killjoys, recommend it. dark matter i found more to be an....aquired taste, but a thirsting man in the desert, and all that.

Almogaver's Avatar Senator

Why do the martian uniforms and helmets used by Rocinante's crew look so cool and Bobbie Draper's and her squad mates look so weird, especially the helmet? They did such a good job on the first ones, why make them worse?

Anyway, protomolecule!!
    --------------Arengada--------------

Two questions: What was wrong with BSG? Why is it even coming up given how wildly different a show it is both in style and story?

Quote Originally Posted by Almogaver View Post
    Why do the martian uniforms and helmets used by Rocinante's crew look so cool and Bobbie Draper's and her squad mates look so weird, especially the helmet? They did such a good job on the first ones, why make them worse?

Anyway, protomolecule!!
    One is navy and for comfort on a ship, the other is marines and for being able to get your ass in a combat suit at any given moment.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I was quite disappointed by the end, that they didn't really showed how Bobby took out the entire Crew on her own. I mean it was a season finally and i would have expected more. I am not entirely sure but i thought that was a more action-like scene in the book, but i can mix it up with another scene. There was one where she and several Marines fought in a ship and the crew stole their power-armours while they have none. I am in general not sure anymore how much they go after the books. The first season was pretty boring for me because they went exactly after the books and i always knew what was going to happen.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    I was quite disappointed by the end, that they didn't really showed how Bobby took out the entire Crew on her own.
    Because it would've been the equivalent of a Space Marine fighting a bunch of Imperials Guardsmen armed with flashlights?

I mean it was a season finally and i would have expected more. I am not entirely sure but i thought that was a more action-like scene in the book, but i can mix it up with another scene. There was one where she and several Marines fought in a ship and the crew stole their power-armours while they have none.
    That was in the third book, near the end. Generally speaking, IMO it would be best if we used spoilers for recent episodes and elements from the novels, just like in the GoT thread.

I am in general not sure anymore how much they go after the books. The first season was pretty boring for me because they went exactly after the books and i always knew what was going to happen.
    Actually, they didn't go exactly after the books. They had a whole lot of scenes made up from scratch (introducing Avasarala early and giving some background for the setting in general and characters like Havelock in particular) for the purpose of world building.
    And, if we're being really pedantic, they also did a little switcheroo with the skin colour or ethnicity of several secondary characters, including Jules-Pierre Mao and Sadavir Errinwright, as well as the aforementioned Havelock. Not to mention that both Alex and Amos are younger and more handsome in the series than they are in the books.

BSG went highly mystical from what seemed initially a straight forward military scifi series that reflected the paramilitarization of America in the wake of Nine Eleven; I also strongly disagreed with the scrapping of the colonial fleet into the sun, a decision that no rational technological civilization would make.

You have the seeds in The Expanse for a repeat of that, the protomolecule.

BSG went highly mystical from what seemed initially a straight forward military scifi series that reflected the paramilitarization of America in the wake of Nine Eleven; I also strongly disagreed with the scrapping of the colonial fleet into the sun, a decision that no rational technological civilization would make.
    BSG was going highly mythical from the first season. That was literally one of the bases of the reboot. That not only do the people believe these things, but that there is some foundation to it. Which again, is highly different in style and story from The Expanse which has me wondering why the hell comparisons are being made, single major points of the story you happen to not like aside.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The protomolecule is a biological corrupter that basically reprograms entire planets and ecosystems. It's not mythical in any fashion so much as something humans don't understand. See Arthur C. Clarke's law which I have already referenced.
    Last edited by Gaidin; April 23, 2017 at 08:19 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Fortunately, the mystical BS is largely absent from the Expanse series. There's still a lot of religion in-universe, though - which is only realistic IMO. The only thing that gets annoying now and then is the zeitgeistiness of some aspects of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    The protomolecule is a biological corrupter that basically reprograms entire planets and ecosystems. It's not mythical in any fashion so much as something humans don't understand. See Arthur C. Clarke's law which I have already referenced.
    Spoiler for book 3/season 3 or 4:
    The protomolecule is a blueprint for a stable wormhole. A rather benign objective compared to its method of construction...

BSG had a jihad against humanity that we learn the Cylons justified by religious fanaticism.

It only goes crazy in later seasons.

BSG had a jihad against humanity that we learn the Cylons justified by religious fanaticism.

It only goes crazy in later seasons.
    So? What's it got to do with this.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

The mysticism only started creeping in later.

And that is why the protomolecule represents a massive game changer, that can allow that particular path to be followed.