Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Default Re: The Expanse (A New Series on SYFY)

I really like the changes they made to give us the politics of earth as Deep Space was doing its thing. I look forward to seeing what Bobby was up to during the second half of book 1.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Some good news for international viewers as well as the show itself...Netflix has picked this up for their overseas distribution. So while it is still aired in the US and Canada as a SYFY production, it will be shown worldwide as a Netflix original.

http://deadline.com/2016/10/space-dr...ix-1201834745/

Hopefully this means that the show will get more viewers, and maybe give it a safe place to go if the show gets cancelled by Syfy. I mean if they are willing to put a hundred million + into a show about dancing, a nice semi-expensive sci-fi show could be a good fit.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Season two started this week. Doors and Corners was awesome. Shohreh Aghdashloo is the female Morgan Freeman that you could put on a Star Wars Star Destroyer and it'd become an Interdictor Cruiser.

Last edited by Gaidin; February 03, 2017 at 01:28 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blog Entries

Excellent season opener. Syfy is killing it lately with The Expanse, 12 Monkeys, and even The Magicians. Shame their other shows aren't as great but they ARE improving.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Don't they cancel like every ing show? Let's see Star Gate Universe, Defiance... what else?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Nothing tops SG-1 TV show.

Patrician

SG 1 was great so long as we ignore the last two seasons. Orisi, what the hell were they thinking?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Yeah forgot that last horrific two seasons.

Patrician

Though even then it was pretty fun at times. Especially Claudia Black. Ben Browder was alright too but I kept thinking of Farscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Don't they cancel like every ing show? Let's see Star Gate Universe, Defiance... what else?
    Let's stop attributing Fox characteristics to SyFy while naming off their worst shows.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Patrician

I hated Star Gate Universe but was Defiance that bad? I never finished but it seemed decent to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I hated Star Gate Universe but was Defiance that bad? I never finished but it seemed decent to me.
    Possibly not. But after BSG, SG1, and SGA, they went into a definitive and noticable slump where their TV was not as quality as it was. This does not mean they were pulling Fox and rearranging the first season of TV for confusion's sake and moving it from night to night also for confusion's sake and ratings tanked and holy crap they canceled the damn show and took it off the air without even airing all episodes. No. Syfy just was not writing as quality as they were.

They had quite a bit of great stuff, like Eureka, but that was more coming down off their high still and it eventually finished its story and lo and behold it got taken off as well. For quite some time they searched around for some good material but a lot of it just didn't stick as well. SGU. Defiance. Alphas. Caprica. They tried to ride the coattails of Continuum, and its ratings weren't good enough, thank god they let the writers finish that awesome story. Haven was good, but it finished out. One of their good ones that actually stuck around was Warehouse 13.

So there you have it, two shows that were legitimately theirs that legitimately stuck around post BSG/SG1/SGA. Haven and Warehouse 13. But now we're onto the next, third, "generation" of shows.

12 Monkeys is kicking ass in its way. Not my style but people are loving it. Dark Matter. One I fully intend to watch. The Expanse. Incorporated is the futurist corporate espionage story fanboy's dream come true on tv. The Magicians is another I hear is great, that I want to watch sometime. Wynonna Earp and Van Helsing I have my doubts about but I'm not going to deny anybody a fair stab at interpreting characters like these. If they make it to multiple seasons I'll give them a fair watch.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Blog Entries

Defiance was not a bad show but it was not great. It did have an interesting second and third season.

The problem was I felt they SLIGHTLY misrepresented the show and limited themselves to mostly just being about a single town when it could have been a lot more interesting, albeit more expensive, to have it be a show about them driving around in the new world.

Defiance second season was good; in the last they seemed to have lost it.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Patrician

I'll have to watch all of those at some point.

SGU is a blasphemy to SG franchise. Space drama and a bad one. Defiance was pretty average show, but aliens on Earth, not really appealing imo.

The Colony is interesting, though maybe more suspenseful.

I fear that the explanation will be anti-climatic.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

So I just got into this today, watched the first episodes of Season II in re-runs and read up on season I, and gotta say this is a really, really good show.

Need to go back and rewatch Season 1, I should get it for free since I have prime.
    Last edited by Magister Militum Flavius Aetius; February 19, 2017 at 09:48 PM.

Sadly, ratings are extremely bad. I mean real bad, i don't think it'll get renewed.

Quote Originally Posted by gastovski View Post
    Sadly, ratings are extremely bad. I mean real bad, i don't think it'll get renewed.
    I'm not so sure thats a valid comparison as the show also streams on Amazon (I think) fairly soon after airing on TV, so you're discounting a potentially massive revenue stream right there.

Cable is a failing business model that is being propped up by region-locking, so simply looking at "live" viewers is almost a waste of time. Its similar to the people 5-10 years ago complaining about PC gaming dying because few brick-and-mortar retailers were selling PC games, when in reality Steam had taken the floor out from under them.
    Last edited by GreyFox; February 20, 2017 at 02:27 PM.

If you ever find violence doesn't solves anything, you haven't used enough.