Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Default Re: The Expanse

Quote Originally Posted by Jadli View Post
    Yea, and he is not alone. Several characters, who in the books didnt get much space and were only one dimensional, were improved a lot for the show, such as Errinwright or Ashford. In general, almost all changes to the books are usually only slight improvement, extensions and explanations, as it should. Only change I didnt like a bit so far was the end of the 2nd book, where in the books Avasarale was way more active in ending the war over Io. But on the other hand, the stuff we got in the show, with Agatha King and Hammurabi, was great too...

I think this show is one of the best book adaptations ever, this is exactly the way an adaptation should be handled. Though, great part on this very likely also have the fact, that the book authors are very actively participating in the creation of the show. Shame GRRM stopped doing that with GoT very soon
    You basically get the same structure as you do Game of Thrones. The supporting characters are right in and out of the PoV chapters, but are not necessarily "there" in the next major character scene. But the tv show has no compunction about building them up and letting them go out with their own epic bang because they have both the room and structure to.

And I think they handled Avasarale's subtle pushes properly given how far from politics she was. She spotted the right person to send the recording to since she caught Anna in the crowd and sent it directly to her. Then she convinced the surviving martians to give the recording to their next captain, and that convinced the captain to stay out of Earth fighting itself(nevermind whether Mars interfering would just get Earth back on a cooperative stance). As far as she was from the table, she had to do a good job playing the right people and she did. Those people then handled it as their initial or final characterizations.
    Last edited by Gaidin; July 01, 2018 at 08:55 AM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

I'm at s03, e08 and I'm struggling to continue. I have been dozing off during episodes.

But it's not because of the adaption, it's because of the books. I think they really took a nosedive after Caliban's War. Just as I'm struggling with the tv series, Cibola Burn is a drag.

Imo, the characters that have been introduced since AG have been uniteresting compared to Miller / Chrisjen (yeah I know, Miller is sorta kept around in Holden's head, but it's not the same). Anna, Bull, Elvi etc, I barely care enough to distinguish them anymore.

Also, I liked the more contained scenario of the first 2 books / seasons more. The atmosphere on the Belter station with Miller as the cop, giving an impression of life in the outer planets, the cold war between the 3 factions etc. Since the Ring, it spins out too much for my taste.

I'll try to continue when I'm less tired and see how it goes.
    Last edited by Candy_Licker; July 01, 2018 at 03:04 PM.

One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Candy_Licker View Post
    I'm at s03, e08 and I'm struggling to continue. I have been dozing off during episodes.

But it's not because of the adaption, it's because of the books. I think they really took a nosedive after Caliban's War. Just as I'm struggling with the tv series, Cibola Burn is a drag.

Imo, the characters that have been introduced since AG have been uniteresting compared to Miller / Chrisjen (yeah I know, Miller is sorta kept around in Holden's head, but it's not the same). Anna, Bull, Elvi etc, I barely care enough to distinguish them anymore.

Also, I liked the more contained scenario of the first 2 books / seasons more. The atmosphere on the Belter station with Miller as the cop, giving an impression of life in the outer planets, the cold war between the 3 factions etc. Since the Ring, it spins out too much for my taste.

I'll try to continue when I'm less tired and see how it goes.
    Cibola Burn is a bit of drag, but things really pick up in Nemesis Games where the story revitalises. Big time BIG plot shift!

I actually liked Cibola Burn. So meh on the people that bum it out. It, like Abaddon's Gate was big on the exposition even though there were some big scenes in it. More important were how and why the Alien Tech worked. So while we'll get some cool and fun scenes, I'm willing to bet that it'll only take up half of season 4. Just like Abaddon's Gate took up the latter half of Season 3 without really feeling rushed. When, mind you, the first two books each had a season to a season and a half.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Persepolis Rising isn't bad either.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    A more apt name for the book would have been "The Empire Strikes Back", but that one is already occupied by an inferior franchise...

I found Cibola Burn a bit of a drag as well, although it has its moments. It helps that the writers actually try to take science seriously most of the time, unlike most other fiction where alien stuff as well as scientific, scholarly, or technical issues are treated as mere plot devices with zero thought regarding plausibility or realism put into them.

It'll fit fine on tv, where the tenseness of the scenes is shown by their very nature. Holden and the Investigator going through ruins alone? Meh in that writing, but you learn a lot of stuff in a non-exposition manner. That can be some very dramatically tense tv.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Started this last week. I think I'm on episode 4 of season 1. The premise has been done before with shows like Firefly, what with Humans living in space. Even a few anime have a very similar premise with Human colonies at war with Earth, specifically the Gundam series. Legend of the Galactic heroes has a similar concept; a space empire is at war with a space rebellion, but that has more to do with politics and strategy.

Kind of bored of the dystopia stuff now. Basically the world has gone to hell and everyone is poor and living in a slum. The idea has been done constantly since the 1980's and keeps being done over and over and over. So based on that I am not that interested in the series.

First impressions, no idea what is really happening. Story seems stale, characters seem boring, editing and pacing are way too slow. Not sure what the appeal is since the show has not hooked me.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    Started this last week. I think I'm on episode 4 of season 1. The premise has been done before with shows like Firefly, what with Humans living in space. Even a few anime have a very similar premise with Human colonies at war with Earth, specifically the Gundam series. Legend of the Galactic heroes has a similar concept; a space empire is at war with a space rebellion, but that has more to do with politics and strategy.

Kind of bored of the dystopia stuff now. Basically the world has gone to hell and everyone is poor and living in a slum. The idea has been done constantly since the 1980's and keeps being done over and over and over. So based on that I am not that interested in the series.

First impressions, no idea what is really happening. Story seems stale, characters seem boring, editing and pacing are way too slow. Not sure what the appeal is since the show has not hooked me.
    Wait for it.
    The Armenian Issue

Mars in The Expanse isn't a dystopia though, except for pacifists. They're more similar to the ideal behind the Starship Troopers novels.

Also, space battles. And yeah, there are major developments within the series' setting.

Such spoiled, impatient viewers, these days.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

should be really easy to follow a stale story thats also slow. you could still watch The Orville. its dumb and mostly recycles old star trek, but its not dystopian.

Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    Such spoiled, impatient viewers, these days.
    Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by HannibalExMachina View Post
    should be really easy to follow a stale story thats also slow. you could still watch The Orville. its dumb and mostly recycles old star trek, but its not dystopian.
    It is so slow and bland, I really do have trouble keeping my attention on it. No idea what is happening.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Burn Gorman will be playing Murtry this season. Just announced.

I love me some Burn Gorman. He was a bright spot on Turn.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Fair enough.

It is so slow and bland, I really do have trouble keeping my attention on it. No idea what is happening.
    I thought they slowed down the pace early on to let viewers get acquainted with setting and atmosphere. Compared to the first season, the rest of the series burn through the books at remarkable speed...though I wonder how they'll deal with the 30 year gap between sixth and seventh book, if the series get there at all...series hardly have such long run these days.

Blog Entries

First look at season 4 (pics)

Book spoilers (and please follow suit when talking about stuff that hasn't happened yet)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Ilus definitely looks the part of a deserted and mysterious planet. No what I would envision but we will see where it goes. It will be weird seeing The Expanse shot on actual locations rather than on a set though.

I'm really looking forward to this one because while it is my least favorite book I really want to see the ending fully realized on screen.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Edit: Can't link the video. It has no no words.

Trailer/teaser for season 4 is out. Youtube is everyone's friend.

Looks excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Edit: Can't link the video. It has no no words.
    We can still post them provided a warning is given (Censor bypass - ToS).
    Warning: Strong Language.

Expanse continues to peek my interest and has been my priority to watch under Sci-fi Genre.

Patrician

Oh yeah I forgot about this.

I saw it a while ago, I guess it got better as the series went on. One thing that annoyed me was how many characters get killed off or aren't on the crew. The politics was kind of okay, battles were okay but went by too quickly. I remember at the start of season 2 (I think) there was a pretty cool battle. The huge war had the same issue as Star Trek Deep Space Nine where they didn't really show the whole battle.

Unfortunately I didn't get to watch the last two episodes cause the Amazon account I was borrowing ran out, and then every website I tried to watch it on didn't have the last episode.

It was decent, glad I watched it. Didn't love it though.
    Actually I tried watching Altered Carbon too, the first two episodes had me confused as and I actually was pretty bored. So I ended up dropping it.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; October 12, 2019 at 05:55 PM.

AqD's Avatar 。◕‿◕。

Your loss! Altered Carbon was better