Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Cookiegod's Avatar CIVUS DIVUS EX CLIBANO
    Citizen

Default Re: The Expanse

Altered Carbon had some good moments, but to me it was a rip-off. It didn't really make anything new, and it's premise wasn't that particularly great.

It's more comparable to Westworld imho, as they both talk about what makes someone human. Westworld season 1 clearly had the better answer.

And personally, I don't like the claim that people can simply change body like clothes with no consequences, and that a little girl can mentally remain one even when switching into that of an old man.

Well no. That's not how humans work. Our software is not separated from our hardware. (Though that episode with the hispanic mother in that biker body was really great).

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    From Socrates over Jesus to me it has always been the lot of any true visionary to be rejected by the reactionary bourgeoisie
    Qualis noncives pereo! #justiceforcookie #egalitéfraternitécookié #CLM

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Brace for Dec 16!

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Cookiegod View Post
    Altered Carbon had some good moments, but to me it was a rip-off. It didn't really make anything new, and it's premise wasn't that particularly great.

It's more comparable to Westworld imho, as they both talk about what makes someone human. Westworld season 1 clearly had the better answer.

And personally, I don't like the claim that people can simply change body like clothes with no consequences, and that a little girl can mentally remain one even when switching into that of an old man.

Well no. That's not how humans work. Our software is not separated from our hardware. (Though that episode with the hispanic mother in that biker body was really great).
    Joke is on you cookie. When I die my software will go to Heaven.

Oh yeah The Expanse... there is more of it?

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

The Expanse has been renewed for a sixth and final season.

I'm really bummed because while book six is a sort of ending it is before they get back to the alien arc, which is my favorite part of the series.

But at least six seasons is better than three.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-exp...ng-1234621032/
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

I'm really bummed because while book six is a sort of ending it is before they get back to the alien arc, which is my favorite part of the series.

But at least six seasons is better than three.

https://deadline.com/2020/11/the-exp...ng-1234621032/
    They really don't need the 30 year time jump in the tv show. How the hell they'd manage to pull that off I have no clue. Nevermind pulling off the end trilogy on what is typically a tv budget? We can dream. Babylon's Ashes is a good ending point for them.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    They really don't need the 30 year time jump in the tv show. How the hell they'd manage to pull that off I have no clue.
    If other popular TV shows are anything to go by, it'd probably go poorly. Plus, having to recast Alex doesn't help.

Nevermind pulling off the end trilogy on what is typically a tv budget? We can dream. Babylon's Ashes is a good ending point for them.
    I've seen the suggestion elsewhere that the last books should be a spin-off series, either a few years down the line or with different actors.

Blog Entries

That was cruel, Amazon...only dropping three episodes.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

glad we at least got to see the first strike, but now we have to wait until next week to see the aftermath

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Anyone still watching this?

The acting is so good this season.

Yup. Want more of it. Just two more episodes to go...
    The Armenian Issue

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

I still need to start season one
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I still need to start season one
    Get to work.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Wow, what a great season this was!

That's one smart way to make people watch the credits.
    The Armenian Issue

John Doe's Avatar Primicerius

I need some help to understand

how/why does Alex died?

At the end, when the woman gives her bracelet and it all freeze, is it the cliffhanger to next season?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
    I need some help to understand

how/why does Alex died?

At the end, when the woman gives her bracelet and it all freeze, is it the cliffhanger to next season?
    Minor Babylon's Ashes (book/season 6) spoilers follow.

Alex died of a stroke from all the high G maneuvering. It wasn't entirely clear but if you rewatch the scene you can see a trail of blood floating with its origin being his nose. You can also see a scan of his brain off to the left. He knew what was happening but he survived long enough to talk one last time to Bobby before it fully hit him.

They mentioned this as a danger earlier in the episode. This is actually how Fred Johnson dies in book six but they killed him by gunshot wound this season.

Out of universe, Alex died because his actor has been fired from the show for being a creep with fans and other unknown things.

As for the bracelet, that is because of upcoming plot points involving the second alien species. I won't say more than that but it was a good representation of the epilogue in book 5. But in that Sauveterre is more or less aware of what is happening, and wasn't quite "frozen"
    Last edited by TheDarkKnight; February 03, 2021 at 08:00 PM.

Yet that alone put a dent in my interest in this show. That was major for me, and they seem not even interested in tackling real science fiction dynamics.
    The show is boring now.
    So yeah that coupling with this season being the worst of the show so far, at least for me. I completely lost interest in the show. A shame, because they had a good thing going until this season.

And yes
    Alex died because there is allegations of Canvar "sexual misconduct" at conventions. We dont even know if any of this is true, but they chose to fire him. i doubt he will work as an actor again.

Regardless this doesn't excuse bad writing of the Alex character.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; February 06, 2021 at 12:34 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    Yet that alone put a dent in my interest in this show. That was major for me, and they seem not even interested in tackling real science fiction dynamics.
    The show is boring now.
    So yeah that coupling with this season being the worst of the show so far, at least for me. I completely lost interest in the show. A shame, because they had a good thing going until this season.

And yes
    Alex died because there is allegations of Canvar "sexual misconduct" at conventions. We dont even know if any of this is true, but they chose to fire him. i doubt he will work as an actor again.

Regardless this doesn't excuse bad writing of the Alex character.

I mean some of the stuff was publicly released and they did do a private internal investigation. I feel like they gave it a long time before we found out for sure.

Blog Entries

I can't seem to see if it was mentioned before but the final book in the series (Leviathan Falls) will be released later this year. The next year the entire set of novellas, including a final one, will be released in one collection.

https://www.tor.com/2021/05/18/james...lls-turned-in/

Definitely waiting to see how this series ends.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Man that's exciting. I've gotten into the books these past few months (been binging them on audible) and I just finished with Nemesis Gate (no spoilies for anything past that, please) and WOW. Easily the best book in the series so far. Having the POV characters as just the main Rocinante crew basically meant that it went from one cliff hanger to the next, just like the first book when it went back and forth from Holden and Miller. Amos has always been one of, if not the, favorite character of mine so it was awesome to see him finally get his own POV.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Blog Entries

So I really, REALLY love Nemesis Games and Babylon's Ashes. Their stories are superb and I am enjoying how they are adapting the books so far (as long as they address one concern I have in the future, which I hope they do)

However...however....I really don't like how it made a giant bump in the road for the main feature of the series, the Protomolecule/galactic shenanigans. That is my main love of this franchise, and why I like it so much in general.

I won't say more than that for now.