Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default The Expanse

Based on a critically acclaimed series of novels written by two authors (one of which is an associate of GRRM), The Expanse looks to be Syfy's most ambitious series to date. The series premiers in December but the first episode will be available to watch on Syfy's website on Monday (11/23).

Syfy has been trying to return to its roots lately with a lot of decent quality shows, and despite cancelling a few lately (Dominion, Defiance, and Haven), this series looks pretty promising. It looks high quality, has some good people attached to it, and the story looks interesting.

I'm looking forward to it. I hope it's successful, because I have a suspicion that the expense of this show led to Syfy giving up on other shows. And even if it isn't, at least I will have the book series to try it.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Default Re: The Expanse (A New Series on SYFY)

isn't there already a thread for this? or was it only in the sci-fi thread?

If you ever find violence doesn't solves anything, you haven't used enough.

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

only a discussion in that thread. but afaik chris started that as well. perhaps a mod could move some posts?
    Last edited by HannibalExMachina; November 20, 2015 at 01:09 PM.

So i just saw the first episode and i have to say it could be something on the level of Battlestar Galactica. If you have read the books you will see nothing new. They've gone straight after them, but what annoyed be at least a bit was that you have at least one anoying cut.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Right before the Canterburry is nuked they change to a scene with Miller which is quite annoying.

Going from one perspective to another right when it get interesting was also annoying in the books especially if you like one character better than the other. Creating little cliffhangers in this perspective changes is even more annoying. In BSG you had often more perspectives but they did only changed a few times during a plot and that way when a battle was going on, you didn't really switched to a totally diffrent plot.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Well once when the Galactica was entered by Cylons to Kara and Helo in Caprica. But that made sense since in the same time things happend on board of the Galactica. In the Expanse they just freezed the time, watched Miller doing something, unfreezed the time and went on...

And as the last point i do miss a concept for the soundtrack which is quite importent for a good series in my eyes. In BSG Music was even an essential part and obviously Bear McCreary did a great job since he was highered after that for several top series playing in entirely diffrent leagues than BSG. So far i don't have a rememberable theme in the pilot. The Intro song is not bad but exchangable.

Finally i don't want to say i am a bit biased since i have high expectactions because of BSG, but i have read the first book and it has all the material a good SciFi Series needs. They just need to give it a own touch and not just copy the books. As i wrote a rememberable soundtrack would do.
    Last edited by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus; November 23, 2015 at 04:08 PM.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

I enjoyed the first episode. They kept it very close to the opening chapters of the book, bar the parts with Avasarala, who wasn't introduced until the second book.

Blog Entries

It was a really good episode, and I'm glad they released it early, though now we need to wait for a while for episode 2.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Dux's Avatar Warden of Westeros
    Gaming Emeritus

I liked it as well, a close adaption of the first chapters of the book.
    Now mind you, that is not necessarily a good thing later on, as some of you have noted, there were some annoying cuts, which also happened in the books, but don't necessarily work well in an adaption.

I want more!

My favorite part, I must say, was the Flip and Burn. It's not very often you get to see a realistic spaceflight maneuver on fictional tv.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    My favorite part, I must say, was the Flip and Burn. It's not very often you get to see a realistic spaceflight maneuver on fictional tv.
    I don't know if it was really realistic since it is after all Sciene "Fiction", however it was a good explanation how they handled more G than usually possible. After all in that universe they have no FTL to begin with.

Proud to be a real Prussian.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Aemilius Lepidus View Post
    I don't know if it was really realistic since it is after all Sciene "Fiction", however it was a good explanation how they handled more G than usually possible. After all in that universe they have no FTL to begin with.
    Eh, not talking about the drugs. But question, when you have one set of engines on one side of the ship and maneuvering thrusters, to literally turn your ship to angle into a new direction as such, and burn fuel to a high acceleration maneuver, how else would you do it?

Now, there are steps skipped, like plotting a path that avoids nearby planets or other large objects so they are able to travel a relatively straight line. Or as I might describe it, plot a new orbit around the sun, as opposed to another object out there. Or quickly reach the object they want to. But alas, tv-time costs money.
    Last edited by Gaidin; November 26, 2015 at 01:23 PM.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blog Entries

http://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

The first four episodes are available on the Syfy website. Don't know how long that will last though, so if you want to get a jump on it now would be the time.

So far I enjoy it. The third episode was really good. The only problem I have with the show so far is over how difficult it is to understand the Belters.

Slow start, but it gets more interesting, and the sets and CGI look great, which means money well spent.

I thought they were talking Afrikaansesque, but I believe I heard some Chinese in the background.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

The main lead is female or male? because i couldn't relate female lead shows like on most of the ABC, CBS and CW shows.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    They did with the Vipers in Battlestar Galactica. They often showed them stopping and making quick adjustments to change direction, you're right though, it's a weird little detail you wouldn't expect to see.

Thought the first episode was okay, seemed a bit familiar (Total Recall) in some places and there wasn't much originality, that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as the characters are engaging.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; December 17, 2015 at 08:30 AM.

Blog Entries

There really isn't one lead, but more along the lines of three. The show is kinda evenly divided between three stories at this point, one on Earth, one on Ceres, and one currently in deep space.

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    They did with the Vipers in Battlestar Galactica. They often showed them stopping and making quick adjustments to change direction, you're right though, it's a weird little detail you wouldn't expect to see.

Thought the first episode was okay, seemed a bit familiar (Total Recall) in some places and there wasn't much originality, that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as the characters are engaging.
    Well, the Vipers also weren't doing extreme high-g emergency spaceflight that required drugs to maintain consciousness. They were just doing realistic maneuvers. But yes.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

ok, how come ive to necro this? right, evil bastards wont release this before jan 2017:

SPEESS MAHREENS!

Goes into a cocoon and comes back as a White Walker.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

thats not how it works!

Imma doing a rewatch now in preparation for this.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast