Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: The Expanse

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Expanse

In general I've preferred how the books have handled things vs the show (though I love both almost equally, I get that they're not meant to be taken as 1:1 representations which I appreciate). I think that one of the things that the show did very well was introduce Cortazar so early on in the plot line (I believe he's initially introduced in Bablyons Ashes which I'm reading RN) which really gets you way more interested in the protomolecule and what the is going on with that specifically. I was totally happy ignoring the protomolecule for the past bit just because I was so interested in all the drama between the belt/earth/mars (that's why I'm here - Space Drama) but with
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The protomolecule being stolen by Marco and ostensibly sold off to some (so far) unknown (to me, at least) group of Martian traitors lead by a Winston Duertre fellow
    I am now way more interested in the protomolecule BS

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

True. I didn't realize the importance of Cortazar appearing so early until much later.

I just wish the show would extend past the six seasons because the things that happen in books 7-8 (and 9 of course) need to be shown in the visual medium.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

The synopsis for the final book (Leviathan Falls) has been released

Spoilers for Persepolis Rising and Tiamat's Wrath

The Laconian Empire has fallen, setting the thirteen hundred solar systems free from the rule of Winston Duarte. But the ancient enemy that killed the gate builders is awake, and the war against our universe has begun again.
    In the dead system of Adro, Elvi Okoye leads a desperate scientific mission to understand what the gate builders were and what destroyed them, even if it means compromising herself and the half-alien children who bear the weight of her investigation. Through the wide-flung systems of humanity, Colonel Aliana Tanaka hunts for Duarte’s missing daughter. . . and the shattered emperor himself. And on the Rocinante, James Holden and his crew struggle to build a future for humanity out of the shards and ruins of all that has come before.

As nearly unimaginable forces prepare to annihilate all human life, Holden and a group of unlikely allies discover a last, desperate chance to unite all of humanity, with the promise of a vast galactic civilization free from wars, factions, lies, and secrets if they win.

But the price of victory may be worse than the cost of defeat.

I can't wait. Been reading books 6-8 in anticipation of both the final season and the final book.

I only hope it sticks the landing.

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus Gaming Emeritus

Blog Entries

Does anyone know when the 6th season of the show will be out? I watched up to season 4 and have the 5th pending, because I can't stand having to wait an indefinitely amount of time before getting to the grand finale, so I'll watch both 5 and 6 after 6 will be out
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I believe new seasons usually come out around December or so, but S6 hasn't gotten an official date yet.

Blog Entries

I guess I'll have to re-watch seasons 1-4 in the meanwhile
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

The books are also worth checking out too. I enjoy them quite a bit more than the show, and I REALLY enjoy the show.

Blog Entries

Yes if only I had time to read

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I listen the audiobooks. Way easier for me to get through than having to sit down and read. Especially since my ADD makes it hard to focus on one thing at a time. With audiobooks I can listen while I'm exercising or cooking or driving or whatever

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

I've only seen the TV series (I really enjoyed it). Reading this thread makes me want to try the books, or the audio books.

Blog Entries

I have a feeling season 6 was delayed because of the situation concerning Cas Anvar. I know they are filming but I'm sure they had to do at least some minor rewrites. Plus COVID is affecting all types of production right now.

The finished filming in May so I might be wrong, but I think we would be lucky to get it by December. We'll see.

I don't mind if it takes a bit longer. I'm more interested in the final book in November + the collection of short stories coming out in March.

And yes you should ABSOLUTELY read the books. Abaddon's Gate only got 7 episodes in the show (every other book has gotten 10-15 episodes worth of adaptation) so they cut a lot out. And we still don't know if we will ever get an adaptation of the rest of the novels on screen.

COVID is making everything unreliable in terms of production. Half the factory for a new product I work with got COVID, hence, delaying launch. If that happens with a visual production team they risk causing scheduling conflicts which can be a mess to get through.
    The Armenian Issue

Blog Entries

December 10th

I was wrong in a way. I guess we really are lucky.

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

Will definitely miss Alex and I'm sad that we wont get to see
    Laconia and the void cities

Blog Entries

I forgot to mention...Leviathan Falls is coming out November 30th now. I guess production has been difficult because of supply chain issues.

I just don't want it to be delayed past the premier of season 6.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

I think I really need start reading the books - not sure how I missed them. Movies, especially SF, simply can't convey the intricacies a book relies and is build upon - no negativity as such intended, just a general observation.

Shameless plug in - if you are a fan of SF movies in any of it's forms then have a look at this youtube channel. Mostly short films, some mini series.
    Last edited by Gigantus; October 24, 2021 at 11:50 PM.

Blog Entries

I read Leviathan Falls this week as we wait for the final season (this upcoming Friday) to begin.

It definitely is a finale, a sad one even, but it leaves the door open for more one day I think.

I won't say more until more people have read it.

Blog Entries

Anyone else finish the series, book or show?

Or am I alone here

Patrician Citizen

Blog Entries

I guess I'll put this entire post in spoilers

Haven't finished the book, but I have finished the show.

Still have to finish His Dark Materials series (on the last Book of Dust now) that Narf (lovingly) strong armed me into listening to before I start back into Expanse.

I have to say, I was pretty disappointed by this last season. I genuinely didn't even realize that was the last episode until I saw on reddit that it was. No idea why they decided to do a 6 episode season when they didn't plan to go any further with the show. And then they decided to dedicate like 10-20% of each episode to Laconian that would be 100% irrelevant without additional seasons? Made no damn sense. If you're going to give us anything on Laconia, you better be giving us 2-3 more seasons. If you aren't giving us anything more, why the are you giving us spoilers for what happens in the next few books?

I didn't really like season 5, especially their interpretation of Filip and Marco, but I had held out hope for them ending things in a satisfying manner or turning the characters around somewhat in the next season, but unfortunately that didn't happen. I also really hated how they chose to portray Rosenfeld. One of the only interesting henchmen Marco had reduced to boring nothingness, blegh.

As the end of a 6 season show Marco's death is just... boring. In the books at least it serves the purpose of serving up the threat of the Proto Molecule and Laconia. But if you're not going to continue the show past this season, you could at least stretch things out for a couple more episodes and give Marco a more interesting ending.

I don't know, I feel dissatisfied by the whole thing. They left it open ended, which sort of implies that they think they might get another season or two? But then if you think that, why do the Laconian half assed? Ugh. Dissatisfying. Not quite a GoT tier bad ending but close.

Perhaps this is not the end.

The Expanse authors say the show’s only on pause, not canceled, after season 6
    “We have what we think is a very natural pause point for the story after season 6,” Franck told Polygon during a press event for the new season. “It’ll feel like a satisfying end to the story we’ve been building over the first five seasons. I think one of the things that is sort of an outmoded idea is the idea of being canceled.”
    The Armenian Issue