Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: The Expanse

Default Re: The Expanse

Quote Originally Posted by Akar View Post
    I guess I'll put this entire post in spoilers

Haven't finished the book, but I have finished the show.

Still have to finish His Dark Materials series (on the last Book of Dust now) that Narf (lovingly) strong armed me into listening to before I start back into Expanse.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    [...]

I didn't really like season 5, especially their interpretation of Filip and Marco, but I had held out hope for them ending things in a satisfying manner or turning the characters around somewhat in the next season, but unfortunately that didn't happen. I also really hated how they chose to portray Rosenfeld. One of the only interesting henchmen Marco had reduced to boring nothingness, blegh.
    [...]
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Why Filip and Marco, though? I thought they were pretty well adapted and the actor who played Filip even looked like a plausible son of the other two actors, which is a rarity in movies.
    Don't remember what Rosenfeld was like in the book, only that I pretty much despised the entire team Marco had, by default. I mean after what they did, they're all irredeemable, including Filip.

IMO the worst part about the show - seen as an adaptation of the books - is that they adapted Alex out, and that's not really their fault, but the actor's, AFAIK. YMMV about mixing and matching some characters like Drummer who gets most of Michio Pa's part, but I'm not sure that's worse than in the books. I did miss the Mexican guy from the last season, not sure what happened to him. He might've been a decent stand-in for Alex - since right now, it's Holden who does all the piloting and that kind of stretches credibility.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I did hear something passing about a prequel, related to a Leviathan.. is that something for real or what?
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Blog Entries

So I eventually watched seasons 5 and 6. From someone who hasn't read books, that felt quite rushed, especially during season 6 I was expecting more about the aliens and the like, but it's only 6 episodes, so I guess they really went for the short trip and closed the show as fast as possible.

I might consider reading the books anyways .. or just wait and hope for a sequel/prequel or a spin off with more in it.
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Jadli's Avatar The Fallen God
    Gaming Emeritus

Ah, shame to hear, maybe give it a rewatch.... I think the Expanse might be the best TV show out there, and definitely one of the best adaptations (especially cause the authors of books actively participated on the show), as well as definitely the best modern sci fi show (most shows are just "fi" nowadays). There are more books to cover (3 more, but with big time jump... which is the reason for the "pause"), they covered 6. Nothing is confirmed, but the creators are likely trying to figure out project to adapt the last trilogy (perhaps movies? or a new series?). Either way, what we got was amazing... I think those kind of jewels can can happen only when its kind of a middle ground show... relatively high budget, great idea and crew... but not that mainstream that it would get affected by all the other stuff

It was actually always their plan to adapt 6 books (in 6 seasons), they had been telling that in inteviews years ago... so it cant have been that rushed... although of course the fact that the last season had only 6 episodes didnt help (it wasnt the choice of the showrunners to make only 6 episodes afaik... if I rememeber correctly, the studio asked them to...)... BTW check bonus content on Prime Video (when you hit pause). Each episode has a pretty little bonus story about the main characters... so basically an entire new episode in result ...

Lot of things they included in season 6 are not that important until the next books , so the fact they put it in makes me believe more there is a plan for adaptation of the last trilogy. Basically all of Laconia storyline is setting up table for whats gonna come next, especially the undead kids... Though, shedding some light on Duarte was of course necessary, as without him there would be no Free Navy (and hence, main season 5 and 6 conflict)

Well, not enough aliens... to be honest, this story was never about aliens (eventhough everybody wants to see more of them ) but about the humanity... more specifically, how the humanity expands, explores and adapts to it (and as you can see, if you compare season 1 and season 6, lot of things are completely different for humanity, as well as each faction... and even more so after book 9). Though, the last book trilogy definitely focused way more on gatebuilders, and the beings that killed them (btw, the book ending was amazing)

Read the books for sure if you can, that never hurts... They are amazing, and give many new details (as always...) especially cause we dont know if the last trilogy will ever really get adapted...

Not sure wdym about prequel... but they made several shorter Expanse novellas along the main series (they got adapted in the show chronologically as well.. such as the Butcher of Anderson Station... or the kids from s06)... and once the book series was finished, they added one more novella, that kinda added more light to the main ending from the books (though will not go into details, as I dont want to spoil anything)
    Last edited by Jadli; September 06, 2022 at 06:30 AM.

Gaming Emeritus

BTW, this channel makes amazing videos... in case anyone wants to kinda rewind the best of the series in the final tribute video to the show...

Blog Entries

Yes the series is definitely about humanity and not aliens, but you can't have a good sci fi without some aliens (if you are not Kubrik, of course ).

Jokes aside, I guessed there could be something more to follow (because of the Laconia storyline as you mentioned) that's why I mentioned a sequel; me mentioning a prequel was just a shot in the dark, not having read the books I didn't know if there was something before (and I still vaguely remember some site mentioning this "Leviathan" story arch as a prequel), so just pardon my ignorance.

And yes, I did have a look at the extras, but they didn't really enthrall me, since I was looking more about content which is not going to be treated in this show, rather than about the actual characters.

And I concur is a great show, loved it.. acting is very good, and some characters are epic, particularly the beltalowda .. Miller, Drummer and my favorite, Ashford

what a character

Gaming Emeritus

Well, there were some aliens .... in some books more than in others (the last books kinda answers most of your questions... but just kinda )... Either way, in general, I also really loved the concept of aliens in the show (and the stuff related to that)... very unique and intriguing, compared to large majority of other sci-fi out there.

Yea, those character/actors were amazing .

Well, the first book of the series is called "Leviathan Awakes" and the last "Leviathan Falls" so maybe you have just heard some references to those books (Leviathan Falls came out in basically in the same time as the 6th season)
    Last edited by Jadli; September 06, 2022 at 06:58 AM.

Akar's Avatar Faustian Bargain Maker
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

but you can't have a good sci fi without some aliens
    The Foundation begs to differ smh

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Daughter, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Narf's Avatar Reach for the Stars.
    Content Staff Citizen

They might be making more show!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gaming Emeritus

where did you hear that?

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213