Thread: Cynane The Queen Slayer was really a character?

Default Cynane The Queen Slayer was really a character?

Was she a real blood n guts commander as portrayed by CA is what I meant to say.

I tend to believe that we should have it in game even if their is a shred of evidence simply because you cannot have your cake and cross reference everything in the ancient world
    https://blog.totalwararena.com/
    From arena facebook that somebody posted:
    "Very interesting. It sounds like if Caeria fought her hand to hand that she should also be a potential female commander.
    Are there any other sources as Polyaenus seems to be a very late source who writes about gods and their strategies as well as historical ones and bases his works on earlier greek writings. It has also been show that Polyaenus invents and alters detail in order to make things seem more vivid. As this is ancient I guess we just have to accept what we have."
    Last edited by Destraex; November 17, 2015 at 06:11 PM.

Sail your ship as part of a fleet. Devs previously worked on: Darthmod, World of Warplanes, World of Tanks, RaceRoom, IL2-Sturmovik, Metro, STALKER and many other great games..

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Cynane The Queen Slayer was really a character?

The entire description is BS.

For example right after Alexander's death the power was initially shared between 3 men : Perdiccas, Antipater and Crateros. Not Perdiccas + 4 more men. So I would not give any sort of credit to this description.

The fantasy battle against Antipater is ... well .. pure fantasy.

Libertus

I read an old book about Alexander that is based on other old books written by historians that were by Alexander's side. The later author is sometimes describing events from 2 to 3 perspectives based on different sources. Nothing is certain and a lot is imagination and fantasy.

Ther200's Avatar Laetus

Tomorrow is a game-update.
    Mainly adding Cynane ass a new commander.
    For the greek forces looks like good commander for missile units.

Xavier Dragnesi's Avatar Esse quam videre

Yeah, I think she is historically attested to as a person, but any notion of her leading troops like most of the other current commanders in the game is fiction.

I'm a bit confused why CA picked her as the female commander to put in. Boudicca would have made more sense, and even if they wanted someone Greek, a character like Artemisia would have been more realistic, but who knows.

Cynane Tymoshenko?
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    For example right after Alexander's death the power was initially shared between 3 men : Perdiccas, Antipater and Crateros. Not Perdiccas + 4 more men. So I would not give any sort of credit to this description.
    I would also add Meleager, although he was quickly assassinated by Perdiccas. Probably CA was confused by the cliche of the 4 successor kingdoms (Lagids, Antigonids, Attalids and Seleucids) that replaced Alexander's empire, not knowing that their formation took place several years after Alexander's, Cynane's and Perdiccas' death. BTW, in the Arena description, they keep misspelling Perdiccas' brother, who was called Alcettas, not Alcettus.

I believe she did exist as a person, but didn't lead men into battle.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by rainbyzantinus_ View Post
    I believe she did exist as a person, but didn't lead men into battle.
    Why all this useless hate? She had royal blood which gave her the power to do what she wanted and who was to deny her to march at the head of the army if she wanted to? Royal scribes ofc magnified her contribution while most historians were skeptical and refused to even mention her because she was a women and her battles should be in the birthing bed.
    I imagine her as a wild energetic woman preferring to see the battle then stay at home praying to her gods. Men seeing her on the battlefield were glad to have her and marched off shouting her royal name. She ofc liked the attention and accompanied the army many times starting to even take leadership. As for her killing that queen... she was probably brought to her after the battle and her men started to scream for pussy or blood, Cynane killed her herself sparing her of rape and making a name as a queen slayer.

I don't think it's so much 'hate' as much as just the fact that if CA were going to try put in a female character (which I think is a great idea), there are better, more well known, choices that would probably make more sense because they are more recognisable and would make people more keen to play them.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Dragnesi View Post
    more well known,
    Like who? Boudicca? yeah she is more recognizable because she lived later and Roman writings still exist about her, while writings about Cynane are just short liners. Others? Queen Artemisia? She was a naval commander and there are no ships in the game! how the could they add her??? And that's all I could find as women commanders during this time in Europe.
    So please illuminate me with you're vast knowledge of more capable women commanders!

Dude, chill. I'm not saying that anyone was else was 'more capable' or superior than Cynane, or that there's any reason why she shouldn't be in the game. Honestly, all sources on women in combat in the ancient world are pretty sparse, and there are a number of women whose martial actions were given a similar extent of treatment as Cynane by ancient historians (just Wikipedia 'Women in Ancient Warfare' for an overview). So I just think that given their limited options, it's interesting that CA picked her as opposed someone who we have comparably more info about like Boudicca, especially as the first female character to bring in.

Libertus

Dude! you claimed there are more well known women, I'm still waiting for you to tell me more. Nice to see I made you do a Wikipedia search in which you ofc found nothing but a thin list of names of queens/princesses which you saw for the 1st time. Still waiting for you to name about 5 "well known" women commanders from the game's time frame/area.

... Not quite sure why you're making such a big deal of this. I never said I was going/could to name five other commanders, I just wanted to comment on CA's decision and said I would have expected a different character i.e. Boudicca or Artemisia as they were more well known. Didn't expect to enter into a sudden academic competition Upon further consideration, it's actually quite cunning for CA - picking a relatively more unknown character gives them more artistic license to fit Cynane into the game how they want.

But anyway, if you just want me to say I can't name five alternatives, then sure. You win.

Libertus

Well I made a big deal out of it because most ppl like to comment on this forum without any backup of knowledge just cuz they don't like it... The developers most likely chose to add female commanders to appeal to the quite big girl community MOBA games usually have. The game is not intended to be historically accurate but it has to offer variety and balance in the best way possible. Making girl toops/commanders is pretty hard without going deep into fantasy/mythology. They will probably add Artemisia next hoping that 300 made her famous enough... and ppl in this forum will cry "omg more 300 crap". If they eventually add Boudicca I bet there will be some going "wtf who is that? another joke commander"...
    What I would actually cry about is the limited game modes. 10v10 it's just too crowded and can't really do in a bad team. A 5v5 or 3v3 competitive mode would be better but they want a carebear no premade game and they hope every1 will be happy...

Biarchus

Im glad they didn't go with Boudicca, why does it always have to focus on her? All she did was lead a piss poor and failed rebellion, but ofcourse she is British so she has to be well known and always use her in games. If they had just gone with her, we would get a generic female general as usually.

Cohors_Evocata's Avatar Centenarius

According to Brill's New Pauly:

Cyn( n)ane(85 words)

[German version]
    (Κυν(ν)άνη; Kyn(n)ánē). Daughter of Philippus II and an Illyrian, born around 357 BC. Brought up in a martial way, she is said to have participated in Philip's battles. In 338/7 C. married Amyntas [4] and bore Eurydice [3] with whom she lived in Macedonia after the death of Amyntas. In 322 C. accompanied Eurydice to Asia with an army as a bride for Arridaeus [4]. C. was murdered by Alcetas [4] and given a royal burial by Cassander.

Badian, Ernst (Cambridge, MA)
    Badian, Ernst (Cambridge, MA). "Cyn(n)ane." Brill’s New Pauly. Antiquity volumes edited by: Hubert Cancik and , Helmuth Schneider. Brill Online, 2015.Reference. 23 November 2015 <http://static.ribo.brill.semcs.net/entries/brill-s-new-pauly/cynnane-e626100>First appeared online: 2006
    First Print Edition: 9789004122598, 20110510
    I tend to edit my posts once or several times after writing and uploading them. Please keep this in mind when reading a recent post of mine. Also, should someone, for some unimaginable reason, wish to rep me, please add your username in the process, so I can at least know whom to be grateful towards.

My thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Dragnesi View Post
    ... Not quite sure why you're making such a big deal of this. I never said I was going/could to name five other commanders, I just wanted to comment on CA's decision and said I would have expected a different character i.e. Boudicca or Artemisia as they were more well known. Didn't expect to enter into a sudden academic competition Upon further consideration, it's actually quite cunning for CA - picking a relatively more unknown character gives them more artistic license to fit Cynane into the game how they want.

But anyway, if you just want me to say I can't name five alternatives, then sure. You win.
    I just had to rep that

Edit: What i mean is, when you see a post like that (humble and not getting provoked), it is like watching a rare animal on the savannah. Pause, and enjoy the view.
    Last edited by Fedual; December 09, 2015 at 08:27 AM.

Libertus

Quote Originally Posted by Fedual View Post
    I just had to rep that

Edit: What i mean is, when you see a post like that (humble and not getting provoked), it is like watching a rare animal on the savannah. Pause, and enjoy the view.
    Yes of course something to applaud on, someone makes stupid post with no prior history knowledge and then when he is being called out on it he goes to google.. finds noting to backup his statements... and bails out with a humble post. How about if he would have stayed out of it in the 1st place? This is not an animal on the savannah it's a bear scared by a cat!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU1F9nVHpa0

Keep it civil, guys. Thanks.

arena is their f2p cash cow which will generate the revenue for their real titles, let them dumb it down for the plebeians, my dear friends. it's better for the rest of us.