Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Chronicles of Cimmeria (Bosporos AAR)

Campidoctor

Default Re: The Chronicles of Cimmeria (Bosporos AAR)

Hooray! Just found this and got caught up over that past couple of days. What a great read, fantastic presentation and imagery and writing and the whole deal. Thanks for your dedication, that's very impressive in its own right. This AAR has given me a lot of inspiration to perhaps play as Bosporos myself when I start up a campaign one of these days, a faction I didn't know anything about and hadn't given any considering prior. And boy, that relatively lightning quick campaign into Armenia and the devastation caused over a scant 2-3 years was a hell of feat. This reunion between Menandros and his lover king should be interesting, given all that's transpired.

Great work Zeion, looking forward to more!

Thanks Darkan and Dooz for your encouraging words. Cool to see people are still following this even with the vastly reduced update frequency.

We are almost on the finish line for this one. So please bear with me for the next months and then hopefully by November, we will have a proper conclusion for the second chapter of The Cimmerian Chronicles.
    Chronicles of Cimmeria - A Kimmerios Bosporos AAR (EB2)
    The Age of Peace - A TW: Warhammer Empire AAR
    Blood Red Eagle - The Sons of Lodbrok Invasion of Northumbrialand [complete]
    Machines - A Sci-Fi Short Story [complete]

Hurray finally another great update

Sent from my Smartfren Andromax AD688G using Tapatalk
    My name is John, Tribune of Legio Ripenses IX Tertiae Italica and loyal servant to the computer generated Emperor, Julianus Flavius Augustus "The Apostles". And I will have my vengeance again The Quadi tribes, barbarian scums who decimated half of my legio in Mediolanum City Siege almost a year ago and Gratianus Flavius "The Traitor", the former Caesar who convince a half of precious my legio to his petty scheme rebellion just 3 months ago in this save game or the next
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IB:Restitutor Orbis Signature courtesy of Joar

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

I still check it now and then, it's a great read.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

The Chronicles of Cimmeria

Chapter 2: The Last Leukonides
    Interludum II

While Hegesippos and his companions waged war in Armenia, another conflict was grew more severe at home in Cimmeria. Apatourios, regent in the arkhon's absence, was doing all in his capacity to contain the power of the cult of Aphrodite-Ourania and to combat the ambition and gravitas of its leader, high priestess Eurybia. The priesthood of Aphrodite had gained great political and economical influence during arkhon Spartacus' reign and with the advent of Hegesippos legacy, this was meant to change.

But as in war, political conflicts are often decided in long struggles. And as Hegesippos campaign in Armenia achieved impressive results by taking Armavir and Trapezous, the conflict at home was undecided still...

¤ ¤ ¤

202 BC, Several miles south-east of Paniardis

Agape always felt a certain degree of uneasiness when being with the high priestess, but this occasion took things to another level. She slipped back and forth on her chair, desperately trying to avoid any noise. The tent was in complete silence, but Agape felt a severe tension between the participants of this meeting. I really do not belong here, she secretly thought. It was dark outside, and only a couple of torches lit the inside of the tent made of dark, heavy fabric.

"Do we have an agreement then?" The voice of the high priestess was firm and sharp like usual, just like her intellect. Agape was siting behind her, and her master did not reveal any movement except for her jaw when addressing her discussion partner.
    The man on the opposite side of the table was dressed in purple cloth that was crested with golden ornaments. He sported a long, curly beard that was remarkably groomed. Perhaps treated with expensive oil and perfume from Egypt, Agape thought.
    "It seems we do." The man revealed a faint smile, but his dark eyes framed with coal were hiding any true emotion. The fact that he did not seem to be intimidated by the high priestess only made him appear more mysterious. What power did he truly hold?

They had come her two days ago, to the far south-eastern reaches of the Cimmerian realm, to the steppes of Paniardis, where the allied Skythian tribes were protecting the lands of arkhon Hegesippos. It was here, where high priestess Eurybia intended to negotiate with her partners from foreign lands. First, the Egyptians had come with an entourage of diplomats and guards. Then, the Parthians had appeared, represented by the man now carefully mustering the high priestess herself.

Agape had accompanied her master as part of her retinue, as usual, to serve and to attend her needs. Normally, however, Agape preferred the silence of Aphrodite's temple, and she had only little experience in the presence of men. Let alone with discussions of political and diplomatic reach.

The man waved at one of his assistants, a young foreign looking boy with equally dark eyes but a paler skin. The boy brought a sealed scroll of papyrus that the Parthian diplomat carefully handed to Eurybia.
    "All lands south of the caucasus and east of Armavir."
    Eurybia nodded and then added.
    "And no hostilities with the Egyptians."
    "Agreed, no hostilities with the Ptolemies." The man nodded. Then he added: "This is the official statement set up by myself as the diplomat of his majesty King Arsakes. Enclosed you will find all items we agreed on previously."
    Eurybia's slender fingers opened the scroll. With gentle but determined strokes she unfolded the document. Her elegance and authority was breathtaking. After another moment of silence in which Eurybia studied the document, she finally looked up again.
    "All is settled then."
    "Allow me one question, high priestess." The Parthian diplomat pursed his lips. And without waiting for Eurybia's reply, he continued.
    "Why this... rebellion of yours? Your kingdom is so powerful. The mighty Hayasdan have fallen before your King, and Cimmeria now controls huge parts of Armenia and the Euxenos. Why..."
    Eurybia held up one hand to signal the diplomat to stop talking. Agape could not see the high priestess' face but she could only assume the stern look that must have brought the diplomat's tongue to halt.
    "It is none of your concern. But I guarantee you that I personally vouch for my part of the alliance. Hegesippos will fall. For I am the will of my goddess, and no king stands above it."

Shortly after, the discussion came to an end and both parties retreated into their tents. Agape had dressed her master into a proper nightgown and was brushing her hair. She looked into the silver mirror in front of her and almost startled when she felt Eurybia's gaze upon her. The high priestess must have felt her insecurity.
    "Fear not, child. Embrace these times, for the gods are on our side."
    "Yes, high priestess."
    Eurybia's gaze became more indulgent.
    "It is necessary, you know. We need to do this to protect the people of Cimmeria. To stop this endless warmongering. Hegesippos is the bane of this world, he will bring us all to an end. The goddess has shown me, I have seen it."
    Agape slowly nodded. I do not know such things, she thought. Politics and diplomacy were above her position. But she trusted the high priestess, and she would do whatever was asked of her.

The next morning, the Parthian delegation had left Paniardis. The artificial tent city that had been build in the middle of nowhere had disappeared as quickly as it had been raised. Who were left were the followers of Eurybia, and as Agape joined Eurybia outside their tent, they were greeted by men clad in the finest armor and weapons: the Chosen of Aphrodite. Expensive mercenaries, all decoyed by the riches of Aphrodite's temples. Their spears were glittering in the early morning sun, and they all looked up to their master, ready to unleash their force upon the enemies of Aphrodite. Eurybia had initiated the deployment of these mercenaries as a preparation for her schemes. As a preparation for war...

¤ ¤ ¤

202 BC, Pantikapaion
    Apatourios felt particularly stressed these days. He had tried to combat the stress with wine and woman, both of which gave him a certain degree of pleasure, but were unable to fully diminish the burden he was carrying. We define happiness by the absence of pain, by the absence of grief. That had been what Demetriades had said. What had become of his old friend? Demetriades had left Pantikapaion the previous year to go further east. To help spreading the word, as he had put it.

Perhaps the old man had been right. Perhaps diverting activities were not enough to achieve true happiness. But how else was he supposed to cope with his current situation? The conflict with the priesthood of Aphrodite Ourania had become more and more severe, and he could feel his political gravitas slipping through his fingers with every passing day.

One of his servants entered Apatourios' study and interrupted his thoughts.
    "What?" He snarled at the intruder.
    "Pardon, my lord. A message from the supervisor of the stoa in Olbia." The stoa in Olbia, its great market, and one of the most important trading centers in Cimmeria, was supervised by Archistoses, a former merchant who was now working with the city's administration. His task was to assign boothes and stalls for merchants to make their business at the stoa. What did he want?
    Inpatiently, Apatourios read the message.

I am sorry to inform you... hopefully, this will not cause any discontent... I have decided to resign my position in favour of the priesthood of Aphrodite Ourania in Olbia...
    In an impulse, Apatourios chucked the scroll through his office.
    "This is an outrage!" He shouted, frightening the poor servant boy awaiting his orders.
    "You! Bring me a messenger."

This was yet another blow by the cult, and yet another setback for his attempts to confine the priesthood's influence. The fact that the priesthood would now be in control of the assignments for the stoa in Olbia gave the cult even more power, even more money. He had tried many things over the past months, even years, to combat Eurybia's plans and schemes. But whenever he had gained control of an economic or administrative aspect in Cimmeria's politics, Eurybia would strike from another angle.

He had to send a message to Hegesippos. He had to ask him for help...

Campidoctor

Whoahoa! Major developments as this whole situation at home comes to a head. But the Sevon Septons and the Crown are the two pillars of...! oh, wrong show. Wonder how this version is gonna play out. Papa's not gonna be happy off campaigning, building his legacy. Now has a full on rebellion to contend with in his own lands. I hope she gets hers! *shake a fist*

Awesome read. Man this makes me want to play, too bad i'm at work. Well written great detail! +rep

Hey everyone,

I had announced an update for today July 31st, but I won't be able to make it. Work on my other AAR (Age of Peace) has taken up my writing/AAR time recently. Everything is already prepared for the next update for the Cimmerian AAR, but I didn't have the time to actually write it down.

Bear with me guys and stay tuned.

Cheers,
    Z

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Quote Originally Posted by Zeion View Post
    Hey everyone,

I had announced an update for today July 31st, but I won't be able to make it. Work on my other AAR (Age of Peace) has taken up my writing/AAR time recently. Everything is already prepared for the next update for the Cimmerian AAR, but I didn't have the time to actually write it down.

Bear with me guys and stay tuned.

Cheers,
    Z
    Very excited to see this is still going. I lost track when Hegesippos pursued his Greek love so I have to catch up.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Hey!

Thats a really nice AAR. I found it two days ago and used every sparetime to read. Even on work when we had breakfast or lunch

I was nervous when I hit the button for the fourth side because I knew your story would end soon. But when I saw how it ended I was shocked. Can you please bring this story to an end?
    To be honest: it is the best novel I read in a long time.
    Mainly because of the atmosphere - my opinion.
    Sure the story is great and the charakters interesting but above all your style of writing got me. And english isnt my native language. Especially the second chapter. When I sit down and read this Story with my phone I feel like sitting in a library with a heavy book on the table studying history again.

So TL;DR please continue this story!

So long

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234