Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bèta version of RTRVII Platinum released!

20ninescene's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Bèta version of RTRVII Platinum released!

Question:
    How did you determine its a CTD because of export_descr_character_traits.txt if there are no crash dumps?
    Well the game doesn't crash when I use an older version of the file

I'm going to analyze the bonus/penalties section and see if I can figure out a way to slim them down without changing functionality.

My personal take on it is to remove those extra bonuses so that the UI doesn't look terrible. But I'll poke around with it before concluding that is the only option.
    Thanks but that might cause bugs and/or reduce the functionality of the building (since the effect of the building depends on local resources, farms, e.t.c.), another (and in my opinion better) approach would be to write the correct bonuses in the description of those buildings and explain the mechanism how the building works. Ps: some buildings in Roma Surrectum have also this sort of bonuses.
    Last edited by 20ninescene; April 16, 2016 at 02:54 PM.

Well the game doesn't crash when I use an older version of the file
    Yeah thats what I figured, I suppose a poormans crash detection is better than none.

Let me see if I understand the way the granary is intended to work.
    Its supposed to do:
    0.5 happiness bonus (always) (1 in the file)
    0.5 growth bonus (always) (1 in the file)
    -10% tax penalty (always)
    And then conditionally
    0.5 growth bonus if ANY of the following are true
    grain_farm level (1,2,3) AND NOT luxury_res_gath (1,2,3)
    rewritten as:
    0.5 growth bonus if (grain_farm level 1 AND NOT luxury_res_gath1) OR (grain_farm level 2 AND NOT luxury_res_gath2) OR (grain_farm level 3 AND NOT luxury_res_gath3)

Or is it supposed to be cumulative?
    0.5 growth bonus at level 1 farms,
    1.0 growth bonus at level 2 farms,
    1.5 growth bonus at level 3 farms?

Lastly, how do you edit your post? I don't see an edit button anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by endymon View Post
    Yeah thats what I figured, I suppose a poormans crash detection is better than none.

Let me see if I understand the way the granary is intended to work.
    Its supposed to do:
    0.5 happiness bonus (always) (1 in the file)
    0.5 growth bonus (always) (1 in the file)
    -10% tax penalty (always)
    And then conditionally
    0.5 growth bonus if ANY of the following are true
    grain_farm level (1,2,3) AND NOT luxury_res_gath (1,2,3)
    rewritten as:
    0.5 growth bonus if (grain_farm level 1 AND NOT luxury_res_gath1) OR (grain_farm level 2 AND NOT luxury_res_gath2) OR (grain_farm level 3 AND NOT luxury_res_gath3)

Or is it supposed to be cumulative?
    0.5 growth bonus at level 1 farms,
    1.0 growth bonus at level 2 farms,
    1.5 growth bonus at level 3 farms?

Lastly, how do you edit your post? I don't see an edit button anywhere.
    It's supposed to be cumulative and you need to post more in order to be able to edit your posts.

What about if you flip the bonus around. Instead of listing it on the granary, list it on the grain_farm itself?
    This way it would only list 1 level of bonus at a time, and since the grain_upgrades itself, you would never have the bonus being applied multiple times.

I tried it and it seems to work OK. But there is still an issue with the text that now appears on the grain_farm, where it wraps around because of the "luxury resource" (luxury_res_gath) whatever that is. I'm not sure why that limitation is in place or how to fix the wrapping text.

I've also not been able to figure out whether granary level 2 bonuses are correct.
    Here's the line:
    population_growth_bonus bonus 1 requires building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials1 livestock_pasture1 and not building_present_min_level hinterland_raw_materials1 grain_farm1
    Why would you want the granary level 2 to NOT get a bonus if grain_farm is present?
    The bonus restrictions/requirements for granary level 2 just don't seem to make sense. So I left those unmodified.

I also made a similar bonus inversion for minor tracks/roads.

It is working But there is still an issue with the text for roads because of
    "settlement<newline><newline><newline>settlement" as the description text
    This causes very strange wrapping issues. I'm not sure if there is a good way to fix that.
    I think the best way to handle it is to give the minor tracks in mini-regions a +1 trade bonus (instead of +0 currently)
    That way ALL roads in ANY region give a small trade bonus.
    THEN, add the REAL trade bonus onto the settlement buildings (id_1, id_2, id_3) etc.
    Since the "increase tradable goods" text never tells you how much of a bonus it is anyways, there is no need to modify the description.

I've attached my modified file

Also I noticed another error:
    -- Sacred Grove of Toutatis population growth bonus is 0% all levels..... I assume it should be 5%?
    I was going to correct it myself, but I don't see the error in the exprt_descr_buildings.txt file, so I'm not sure what is causing it.

I was digging through the character_traits file and found this:
    -- well supplied triggers for won battle, or capture settlement... are all the same regardless of level. Shouldn't the change of becoming well supplied be different depending on how decisively you won?

Also with the special buildings (that you made indestructable) did you also make changes to the "village" blacksmith and other base level trade buildings? At a minimum these should not have any sell value.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Your changes seem good except there are a few small issues:
    -You should NEVER use the tab character in EDB, this will cause bugs.
    -The bonus/penalty for all grain farms should be the same since the different grain farm buildings aren't levels of the same building, instead you should regard them as different slots.
    -You forgot to comment out the bonuses of the upgraded granary building.
    -You forgot to give bonuses/penalties to the livestock_pasture and fishing_grounds buildings.

Anyway thanks for your contribution

Well I'm glad to know I had a good idea at least.

So the grain_farm1 + grain_farm2 + grain_farm3 buildings all exist in the town at the same time? Interesting.

I didn't even try to make changes to the level 2 granary or the fishery/pasture
    Let me see if I understand.
    the level 2 granary will have all the granary2 bonus + all the granary1 bonus? Is that correct?
    Is that why granary2 gets bonuses to fishing and livestock instead of grain_farm?

Do you have a known working version of the character_traits file (the one that is crashing)?
    I could try doing a binary search (merging the broken and the working files) to locate the offending line.
    Unless you've already fixed that.
    I was going to try based off the patch3 version of RTR7, but that had many thousands of lines altered. I was hoping to start from a more recent version than that.

Well I'm glad to know I had a good idea at least.

So the grain_farm1 + grain_farm2 + grain_farm3 buildings all exist in the town at the same time? Interesting.
    Well no actually, each slot has 9 different building options and once one option is chosen in a certain slot that option can't be chosen again in another slot.

I didn't even try to make changes to the level 2 granary or the fishery/pasture
    Let me see if I understand.
    the level 2 granary will have all the granary2 bonus + all the granary1 bonus? Is that correct?
    Is that why granary2 gets bonuses to fishing and livestock instead of grain_farm?
    No both buildings should get all extra bonusus, the diffrence is that the large granary gets larger base bonuses (and penalties).

Do you have a known working version of the character_traits file (the one that is crashing)?
    I could try doing a binary search (merging the broken and the working files) to locate the offending line.
    Unless you've already fixed that.
    I was going to try based off the patch3 version of RTR7, but that had many thousands of lines altered. I was hoping to start from a more recent version than that.
    Yes I do and it's not an older version but a more recent version but some traits don't work properly yet because I deleted some parts of the file, I'll send you the newest version with ctd and without:

With ctd:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b...ew?usp=sharing

Without ctd:

Export_VnVs:

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Are you using this tool to check your EDCT files:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=2657

Squid's ATVTW checker is a valuable tool. I wouldn't be without it.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Yes I use this tool, unfortunately it can't find the cause of the ctd =/

So I spent about an hour testing for the CTD here are my results.

I tested with my save game (1-2 turns into the game as rome)
    I found that the "no_ctd" file still caused a crash, just a few turns later (start of 279BC) than the "yes_CTD" version
    I do not currently have a version of the file that does not result in a crash at some point.

I found that a crash always resulted immediately at the start of turn AFTER loosing a battle (autoresolve? important?) during an AI turn. This happened on different turns depending on which siege was attacked (tried 2 different ones as rome)

I did have a minor success though. When commenting out 19885 - 20018 the "yes_ctd" file lasted until approximately the same time as "no_ctd" file

I also tested a game as one of the spanish barbarian factions. I just started a new game with no_ctd.txt and ended turn a few times... doing nothing at all except interacting with the script helper popups.
    Still got a crash as soon as winter/spring 279BC started.
    So I don't think this crash is related to my save file at all.

I've attached my revised txt file, as well as my save game just in case.
    Save #5 is a test of loosing a battle during AI turn.
    Save #4 when used with no_ctd can last until 279BC
    CTD test.zip

I hope this is of some help.

I think I uploaded the wrong file, since the no ctd version differs from the file that I intended to upload
    edit: if I'm right this version causes no ctd: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b...ew?usp=sharing
    edit 2: This version should also cause no ctd's: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_b...ew?usp=sharing
    Ps: I suspect that the ctd is caused by a trait rather than a trigger.
    Probably one of these traits causes the crash:
    -Personality_Hasty
    -Personality_Conceited
    -Personality_Shy
    -Personality_Confident
    Last edited by 20ninescene; April 25, 2016 at 09:55 AM.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

There is a CTD that Squid's tool cannot find in the EDCT.......and it's hard to figure out what it is. The best I can describe it (because I've had it happen a few times) is that a trigger (and it seems to always BE a trigger) is trying to do something or trigger something that is logically impossible'. Since the EDCT is basically a script with a bunch of 'yes, no, if this, then that' statements, the triggers have to follow a logical path to give a trait or an advancement in a trait. So for example, is a trigger trying to give a trait to a character who cannot have that trait because he's culturally excluded? Squid's tool may find that error, but as you can see, it is an illogical trigger. Also, if you have a file that works and one that doesn't, use a tool such as 'WinMerge' (which I use all the time) to compare the two files to each other. I've found a lot of errors just through comparing what I did to one file with another one that was working.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

I've been trying to find the lines that cause the ctd with winmerge for several weeks and I did many attempts to fix the ctd, but it seems that multiple lines cause a ctd and most of them have one of these four traits in it:
    -Personality_Hasty
    -Personality_Conceited
    -Personality_Shy
    -Personality_Confident
    I've inspected those traits and it's triggers and I checked the spelling too but everything seems okay
    Anyway thanks for trying to help me,
    Can you give me some more examples of such ctd's caused by a trigger that is trying to do something logically impossible?
    Last edited by 20ninescene; April 27, 2016 at 09:40 AM.

Hi everyone, I've just found a way to create two different types of forest per climate, here's some proof:

The trees on the left of the screen are oak, beech and some birch trees, the trees on the right of the screen are birch trees only.

I'm now trying to unlock a 3rd forest type
    Last edited by 20ninescene; April 28, 2016 at 06:58 AM.

I've been trying to get this mod working and I cannot. It CTDs immediately after the splash screen comes up. The dialogue box claims that a barbarian_city_underlay.cas or something like that is missing. I'm running a Steam version of Rome since my disc version does not work on Windows 10. This was on the Rome Alexander installation.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Piett View Post
    I've been trying to get this mod working and I cannot. It CTDs immediately after the splash screen comes up. The dialogue box claims that a barbarian_city_underlay.cas or something like that is missing. I'm running a Steam version of Rome since my disc version does not work on Windows 10. This was on the Rome Alexander installation.
    Hmm, I got this too, was thinking I must've messed up something. Haven't tried installing a second time to check, though odd we got the same error if it was just me being bad.

Well I've decided to abandon this project but I might upload the latest files so that anyone who wants it can continue this project

We're a couple weeks late to the party? What did you have left to do?

Mausolos of Caria's Avatar Royal Satrap

Oh, why did you abandon it, is it too much work? What will happen with all the nee planned units?
    "Pompeius, after having finished the war against Mithridates, when he went to call at the house of Poseidonios, the famous teacher of philosophy, forbade the lictor to knock at the door, as was the usual custom, and he, to whom both the eastern and the western world had yielded submission, ordered the fasces to be lowered before the door of science."

Pliny the Elder, Naturalis Historia, 7, 112

Well I decided to mod less and spend more time on playing bass another reason why I gave up is that annoying ctd that needs many turns of testing for every change to the EDCT file, but I'll upload it this weekend so that someone can continue to work on it

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast