Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Screenshots / Empires' Maps Thread

Boogie Knight's Avatar Biarchus

Default Re: Screenshots / Empires' Maps Thread

As suspect as that first gif is, j.a.luna is absolutely right; those units are incredible. So how about it? If they're accurate, they have a place in SSHIP, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by jurcek1987 View Post
    The problem is there are no armour upgrades in BC, so I only took their elites otherwise I would have imported the likes of Scoutatoi aswell.
    dont understand this, you cant import them or you dont want because there are no other versions ? (like 3 diferent versions of scoutatoi)

i agree there's kinda too much armor around but honestly i still prefer most of Claudillo's stuff, also some units are also less shiny in this new version, like spathari's shield is much darker now, the armors in general are actually a bit darker i think, i still use the 6.4's cataphracts tho

Playing as Regnum Hungariae, early era. Roleplaying as much as is possible without the aid of Forced Diplomacy and the Next Heir submod. I make it my aim in campaigns now to try to keep my starting dynasty's House in power for as long as possible. This makes suitable marriages and the propagation of sons a serious priority, much as it was during the time these people lived. Naturally the passing on of both name and bloodline is the ideal, but if the line can only be passed on through a daughter then so be it; the blood will still run true. Any relation, so long as they're of the true dynasty, is acceptable. Naturally if no heirs can be produced at all and the only solution is for the crown to pass to a ruling noble then that's what has to happen. Sometimes it's unavoidable. But every measure must be taken to avoid this.

Which is what makes situations like this all the more galling.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Hungary has had a shaky twelfth century so far. In the scramble for expansion, they have fought hard but won little. Their main achievement was the successful crusade to Damascus, though this was led by the treacherous cousin of the king, who plots even now from his little eastern fiefdom to usurp the entire kingdom upon the death of the incumbent monarch. To combat this threat the king will need heirs; two sons he had, but his eldest has fallen. The fledgling Principality of the Serbs, ill-content with its lot, squashed as it is between the unparalleled might of Constantinople, the vast, fertile lands of the Magyars and the treacherous Adriatic sea, seeks to spread its eagle wings; and it is over Hungary that the shadow falls.

Their hosts pour across the plains where once the Avars roamed, pillaging and foraging to sustain their horde. But it was in the quiet, coastal town of Zara that their advance was first checked, and it was in this action that our tragedy unfolded. Unknown to the Serbians (or they surely would not have come there) the king, there to oversee the construction of a port outside the town, lay in their path. A strictly devout man, he was at prayer when the alarm sounded; the Serb approaches. Bereft of his army, he rallied what soldiery he could, militiaman and mercenary, and rode out with his entourage to meet them in arms. His eldest son, Geza, rode with him. He was fourteen. The king and his men carried the day; but victory came at a cost.

They buried Geza the next morning. There was little that could have be done; there in sight of the sea, the quick cavalry of the enemy overwhelmed him. They struck before the lines could be reformed after the first clashes. His sword and lance, bloodied and broken from his route of the enemy's axemen, were buried with him. None among his retinue saw the dawn; they fell beside their lord to a man, loyal to their prince and mindful of their duty. No thane should outlive his lord. But little of that is salve to the aching heart of a bereaved father.

Now the king makes ready to ride. There will be no peace for the Serbians. No salvation, no forgiveness. They came because they smelled Hungary's weakness. But they had not counted on Hungary's wealth, nor His wrath when roused.

The mines and workshops of Carpathia thrum with the hammers and picks of the craftsmen. The horsemen of the great plains saddle their mounts and string their bows. The people of Zara, delivered from the power of the Serb by a valiant and wrathful king, drill tirelessly with spear and shield. In Szekesfehervar the nobles gather at the call to arms and the rumour of reward; the treasure horde is thrown open, and the king has much to bestow upon those horsemen who would find glory in war.

Either the ruler of Serbia and his sons will die, or the king of Hungary will perish with his hands on their throats. Such is the fury of a father.

Al Adil's Avatar Foederatus

These days before 758 years Mongols burnt Baghdad to ground and killed about one million muslims ending Al-Khilafah Al-Abasiya.
    this is very sad and depressing

The screenshot is from my zengid campaign (H/H)

Will evil Mongol Buu capture Baghdad or will he be defeated? Next time on Dragonball Zengid!
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

The English were frightened at the skill of the French!

I'll also be posting my Georgia campaign soon, though so far it hasn't been going to well for me.

Lol! New French crack ninja squadron in action. I think I'd run from that, too.

My Hungary campaign utterly fell to pieces. I feel your pain.

Here's my game as France, looking to be pretty fun. At game start, France was in shambles - an extremely incompetent king, with barely any control of France proper, and a traitor vassal in one of the cities who was only barely kept in line. The king struggled to assert his authority on the upstart independent cities, but his lack of trust in his other vassals, militia, and all his other vassals has resulted in England and HRE partitioning the rest of France faster than he could, leaving only Flanders to France.

In order to get time to secure it's borders, France has signed an alliance pact with the HRE, who only utilized it with impunity to expand into rightful French lands. As a result, the pact ended up being shaky, with both sides eyeing each other's territory jealousy, waiting for a moment to strike. Such a moment was provided to the HRE when the English, having secured their nortern border from the Scottish by signing an alliance, have officially attacked France, intented on bringing France into submission. However, the HRE failed to utilize that moment, and the English efforts were foiled when the bulk of their forces was defeated by the French at Rouen, liberating a part of Normandy, and the English asked for peace, which was reluctantly accepted due to the fear of the Pope intervening.

That fear was not unfounded, as the English have achieved an all but total dominance of the Curia, which would have made it much more difficult to oppose them. The French desperately started looking for other measures to strengthen the realm against foreign threats, as the English-controlled Pope called a Crusade - one on which the English didn't officially embark themselves.

However, beset on all sides by powerful enemies as it was, France has found an uncanny ally for itself. As the Pope directed his efforts to the Holy Land, he had ignored the fact, that in a short amount of time, the Moors have, for most part brought the Iberian Penisula into submission, subjugating the kingdom of Castille, which had the kingdom of Portugal as it's vassal, therefore making Aragon the last standing bulwark of Christianity. But instead of putting Aragon under their foot, the Moors have launched a daring raid right past their land - which was aimed at the English-held part of France.

Under ordinary circumstances, there would be no reasoning with infidels who dared to invade the French rightful lands. But as things were, the French king saw an unique opportunity to weaken the alliance of England and Aragon, which would probably oppose him again once they had dealt with the Moors. Although an outright alliance was likely out of the question, the French have discreetly started to send monetary aid to the Moors, which was more than welcome.

Now the big dilemma is what path France should take to restore it's power and glory. Should it join the Moors in a campaign to cripple the England's influence? Or maybe try and find a compromise with the English, turning it's efforts towards the infidels instead? It is a difficult choice.
    Last edited by nvm; February 07, 2016 at 03:57 AM.

have anyone feel a florin bathe like this?

Man, that makes me want to play France again. I stopped after the non-save game compatible hotfix was released, but might start a new one. Gotta love that old-timey feudalism.

Here's my Georgia campaign lads and lasses. I finally settled on this campaign since I wanted to try something new and I also wanted a front row seat when the Mongolian invasion arrives (hahahaha I'm dead).
    With only two settlements, the kingdom was in need of some really serious expansion.
    I quickly mustered an army of about 1,800 men and forced marched towards the settlement of Ani which was situated in Armenia. To the Caucasus Mountains to the north and the Caspian Sea to the east I drove southward to expand my pathetic kingdom!

Georgian troops at the siege of the city of Ani.

Unfortunately I guess the Georgians didn't think this one through...

Behold the power of a General's body guard!

Quite a disastrous siege in my opinion, but hey at least I don't have to deal with the Mongols anytime soon.

Edit: A little bonus pic
    "I suspect a traitor amongst us..."
    Last edited by TheCataphract; February 07, 2016 at 03:36 PM.

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Ouch, that was one costly siege. I'm currently playing Georgia myself, such a cool faction with some terric units, gotta love those bodyguards. A great addition to this game.
    Generally I never assault settlements directly if they're so well defended, the losses are almost always unacceptable. I do two things: either I besiege the settlement without attacking and wait for them to surrender or sometimes reinforcements come to relieve the siege and then I destroy both armies in a field battle, or if I want to capture it quickly, I besiege them with a smaller force with cavalry, horse archers and some basic fodder so they sally out. This is what I did at Ani, I sent the army from Tbilisi with the king and the garrison immediately counter-attacked. First you need to achieve cavalry supremacy, I attacked their cavalry with mine own after I harassed them a bit with my HAs. Their infantry will engage yours, archers will stay just outside the city and will be an easy prey. After I destroyed their cavalry I sent my light cavalry and HAs after the archers and charged my heavy cavalry at their units attacking my spearmen from behind and they routed in seconds.

This is much more acceptable, the vast majority of my losses were my fodder spearmen which can be replaced easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by nvm View Post
    Now the big dilemma is what path France should take to restore it's power and glory. Should it join the Moors in a campaign to cripple the England's influence? Or maybe try and find a compromise with the English, turning it's efforts towards the infidels instead? It is a difficult choice.
    Hopefully you get excommunicated and ganged-up on for your heresy.

Although you should instead invest your money in your army and take the fight to your enemies, maybe take whatever the Moors seize from the English and take it for yourself
    FREE THE NIPPLE!!!

@Jurcek
    I'll be sure to take heed of your advice and hopefully I won't run into another grueling siege!
    Though congrats on your heroic victory!

tmodelsk's Avatar Tiro

This spearmen unit was ordered to hold position and they did it, survived frontal heavy cavalry charge ..... :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0020.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	334679

Renovatio Imperii Part Two: From the Ashes

After abandoning a late Georgia campaign after 30 turns because I got tired of fighting endless Mongol stacks, I've tried playing late era ERE on VH/VH. The starting situation is pretty hopeless, you start with an empire (I'm not even sure you could call it that) consisting of a grand total of two regions. To make matters worse, they're both cities which means I can't recruit professional units and they don't make nearly enough money for me to afford mercs. So, no decent units and very little money, it looked to be a very short and painful campaign. To be honest I never intended this to be a serious campaign, I only wanted to test it. Fortunately some unexpected turn of events turned the tide dramatically.
    Like in the early campaign, you start at war with Rum, but the situation is completely reversed. Here Rum is the bully (they control most of Asia minor) and you are at their mercy. I managed to defeat a few puny armies they sent against my puny empire. Had they sent anything substantial... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ycDWywGls. They rejected all my desperate pleas for peace and I could only afford maybe half a stack of unupgraded milita, not nearly enough to withstand a serious assault, let alone try to reclaim Greece. Then I got a lifeline. I was offered to become their vassal which I accepted without hesitation. This admittedly is a humiliating ordeal, but like they say, beggars can't be choosers. The only thing that was hurt was my pride. Well that and you lose some money every turn, but that is easily preferable to a desperate war for survival.
    So, with my... cough... Empire secure, the road was open for me to begin repairing the damage done by the Angeloi and the treacherous crusaders. I began by recapturing my glorious former capital of Konstantinoupolis, now held by rebels. I had to leave some units and my emperor behind because plague struck Nikaia. The garrison, which had a 2:1 advantage in autocalc, sallied out immediately.

My heir won the battle almost single handedly by relentlessly charging until everything was either dead or broken.

Celebrations were held in his honour.

So in 1244, Konstantinoupolis was back in the rightful hands of the Romans and the Emperor proudly moved his flag back in the city after exactly 40 years of exile.
    Next up, Korinth, held by the Empire of Epirus, one of the splinter states which emerged after the 4th crusade in 1204. Their holdings dwarfed mine considerably, they held Peloponnese, Macedonia, Albania and, you guessed it, Epirus.

That was the main army which was camped in the region, the fortress was then left almost unguarded and fell easily in 1248. Arta followed a year later.

But Epirus still had formidable forces in Macedonia, so I positioned a small army on a river crossing, hoping to invite an attack and it worked.

My two units of Gasmuli (crossbowmen) killed over 350 enemy soldiers each. Thesallonika, now completely vulnerable, fell by the end of the year.
    In the mean time I was attacked by Serbia but by that time I already had two strong armies and I began systematically retaking lost regions one by one. Within the next few years I fought 6 separate engagements. Mikhaēl VIII Palaiologos, by now Emperor, fought the largest battle in the war near Triadica in 1259, where the main part of the Serbian army was destroyed.

The Emperor, by now a hugely experienced and successful general, together with his companions managed to inflict over 500 enemy casualties while capturing a similar amount.

Dyrrachion, the last remnant of the Empire of Epirus fell in 1260.
    You've got to admire the parking brakes on that siege tower.

Niš fell in 1263, together with the King of Serbia, Veliki Župan Desa Mlsvljvić or something. The fifth Serbian king in as many years.

Parting shot™

The Serbian king died under a hail of crossbow bolts.

By 1266, the last remaining pockets of resistance were eliminated and Serbia was wiped off the map with the annexation of Ras.

Looking back, it would probably had been wiser if I'd made Serbia my vassal and keep them as buffer instead of destroying them, because immediately after capturing Ras I was attacked by Hungary and Venice. I managed to secure a ceasefire with Hungary for a whopping 20k but I have no intention of affording the same courtesy to Venice. Venice will be demolished to the last brick for their role in the 4th crusade.
    With having completed my conquests in the west, I turned my attention east. I was still officially a vassal of the Sultan of Rum and I first attempted an honourable gesture by offering him 20k for the cancellation of our agreement. They refused so I declared war. I didn't concern myself with diplomatic repercussions, seeing that my reputation was already terrible. First I went for Attaleia and I'm besieging Angora and Sis as we speak.

This is what the map looks like:

Mongols are of course the greatest power in the known world. I have an alliance with them but I don't expect them to honour it once our borders meet. Georgia, Zengids and Crusaders are on their last legs. But, as opposed to all my early campaigns, England seems to be holding their own.

After my Hungarian debacle I decided to try a faction in a part of the world I was little experienced in; the Levant. Having played a Long Campaign as Egypt in the vanilla game, I decided to give the Crusaders a try; I'd heard they were tricky and they never seem to last very long in any campaign.

Learning from the punishment I received in my last few campaigns for turtling early, I adopted a policy of hyper-aggression from turn one, immediately laying siege to the Fatimid-held castle of Ascalon. I was defeated soundly by a releiving force, but the survivors made a stand outside the city during which the garrison rode out to join their rescuers in what they expected to be a whitewash. They were annihilated, and the crusader king, His Grace Roi Foulques, rode into Ascalon unopposed. Bad news for the inhabitants, who were butchered indiscriminately.

For the next few years we settled into a game of to-and-fro with the Fatimids who tried in vain to recover their castle, while investing and reducing their holdings to the east of the Red Sea and waiting for the king's son, the rightful descendant to the throne of Jerusalem, the young Prince Baldwin (or Baudouin) to come of age and learn his craft as Crusader. Shortly before his fourteenth birthday, the Holy Father called a Crusade to Damascus. No idea why. We hadn't asked for it and it certainly hadn't bothered us. We enjoyed an accord with the Zengids, and were reluctant to make war upon another neighbour while the Fatimids remained a threat. The Zengids were not strong, but their position threatened our most vulnerable areas. A force was raised, hesitantly, but before we could strike our French brothers and fathers seized the city from the Zengids and fulfilled Christendom's latest goal.

The Zengids, whose position had threatened our northern holdings, were crippled by the loss of their largest and richest city. The opportunity was too good to miss. Opportunistic? Possibly. Dishonourable? Undoubtedly. But honour is not reserved for infidels, no matter how harmless.

Such was their state when we launched our first tentative strike. Their lands in northern Syria would be the first to fall; then on, if necessary, to Mesopotamia.

But about the time this was launched, the very Caliph of the Fatimids himself emerged from Egypt with a phenomenal host to besiege Ascalon. While not normally a cause for alarm, the fledgling Prince Baldwin was trapped inside the fortress, recently arrived to assume his first command. Roi Foulques, newly departed from Jerusalem to make his way north to fight the Zengids, wheeled around in full panic. He summoned all the men he could, every retainer and noble lord granted a fiefdom in the Holy Land. It was not many, but with it he launched a raid nonetheless on the rear elements of the Caliph's host. Their target: the camp of the Caliph himself.

The result was bloody beyond precedent. Faced with losses of all but a quarter of his force, lesser commanders would have fled. Even the Roi might have chosen to withdraw from such a bloodbath in ordinary circumstances. But such was his desperation to protect his son that he stayed, mercilessly subjecting the men beneath him to the worst depredations a cornered, fearless force has to offer. The Syrians - what was left of them - were singled out for particular reward once the dust had cleared. Only they, and a small company of pressed archers, remained with the king and his men to see the grizzly task to conclusion. The outcome was a most costly victory, but not one without reward: they had captured the Caliph alive.

The orders of the Roi, regarding every prisoner taken, every civilian of every settlement captured in that vast desert land, were simple: death. After all, were they not God's servants? But even he knew the value of a Caliph, especially one so mighty. He set the most appropriate price: a king's ransom. The Fatimids either did not have the cash to pay, or simply wanted rid of an unpopular leader. That was bad news for the Roi, and worse for the Caliph.

They left him swinging from a tree, alone in the desert. The Crusaders lacked the rope to subject all their captives to the same fate, so they used their swords and spears. When the blades began to dull and the shafts to splinter, they beat them to death with rocks or drowned them in the river. Such was the will of the Roi.

All that remained was to take on the main body of the Caliphate's forces. Father and son rode out together, seized the high ground, and carried the day with minimal extra loss.

This time, there was no offer of ransom.

It was with great relief that the Roi departed Ascalon, his son left suitably in charge under the care of his cousin, and turned his attention back to the north to a most pleasing state of events.

According to his wishes, both Raqqa and Aleppo had been put to the sword and the torch by the conquering heroes: Joscelin de Courtenay and Raymond de Poitiers. Similarly to the south, though the commander had fallen to a Fatimid assassin, his men had completed the reduction of a pox-ridden little town in the desert called Mecca.

There were no survivors.

The Zengids, broken, are in full flight across the desert, pursued not by horsemen but by a stout little man carrying that most dangerous of tools: a book. They will be invited to accept vassalage. If they refuse, they will be destroyed. The Crusaders now look to the west: the cities of the Caliphate are rich beyond measure, and weak beyond redemption. One might pity their people, were they not infidels; pity is reserved for the Righteous.

Praise the Lord.

Sounds like an enjoyable campaign. Those Egyptian cities will be easier to capture than hold, I suspect. I'm surprised Damascus hasn't rebelled yet. Personally, I would keep Zengids as buffer so you won't share a border with the Great Seljuks, the strongest faction east of Constantinople. Well, at least until Egypt is pacified. Try to capture Sis to guard the northern flank of Antioch, plus you'll get access to some very good Armenian units.

Quote Originally Posted by jurcek1987 View Post
    Sounds like an enjoyable campaign. Those Egyptian cities will be easier to capture than hold, I suspect. I'm surprised Damascus hasn't rebelled yet. Personally, I would keep Zengids as buffer so you won't share a border with the Great Seljuks, the strongest faction east of Constantinople. Well, at least until Egypt is pacified. Try to capture Sis to guard the northern flank of Antioch, plus you'll get access to some very good Armenian units.
    It certainly is enjoyable! After a few disastrous campaigns, I've not had this much fun for quite a while, nor this much success. I'm looking forward to the campaign for Egypt, I've already captured Damietta (screenie to follow later/tomorrow) and performed the required unpleasantries. I briefly managed to vassalise the Zengids, but their alliance with the Fatimids meant that the relationship was broken within a turn as the Egyptians launched another, this time smaller, attack on Ascalon and the Zengids unsurprisingly stuck with their own. I'm hoping now to crush the Fatimids and re-vassalise the Zengids, as you say to create a buffer between Outremer and the big, looming blue mass on the horizon.

I hadn't considered trying to take Sis. I secured an alliance early with the Seljuks of Rum. On a previous campaign I made a tentative strike at Sis on the way back from a Crusade and got ruined; those Armenian units are terrifically powerful (and make great mercenaries). I had no idea you could actually recruit them from a city. That rather bumps it to the top of my priority list.

And I'm absolutely loving your Roman campaign. I tried to rep you but I've done it too recently, and then didn't want to double-post. I've only briefly experimented with them in SS, and it's easy to see why people feel the way they do about them. Are you going to do more episodes?

Really really nice writeups jurcen and boogie knight. Boogie Knight's sounds a bit cruel though.