Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Default Re: Tarantino's The Hateful Eight

Most of you are sleeping on this epic movie.

Hateful Eight is, hands down, better than Django and is one of my favorite Westerns of all time (my Dad was into westerns and I have seen many from old John Wayne classics to modern pulp westerns).

The acting and dialogue is top notch. I am completely baffled Mad Max (which sucked in everything except some decent action sequences) got so much love from the Academy which usually hates on braindead action movies with poor acting and a horrible plot filled with holes.

Sam L Jackson is vintage. Kurt Russell is compelling. Bruce Dern captures his character perfect. Michael Madsen is great to see back in a Tarantino role after Reservoir Dogs. JJ Leigh is great but the real star IMO is Walter Goggins. Absolutely one of my most favorite actors of all time. Underrated but he is superb.

This movie (like Creed) got neglected by a stupid circlejerk Academy. Sad, since last year the Academy actually nominated some great movies for Best Picture but this year they fell back into their typical social alliance BS that loses them any credibility.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

Manco's Avatar Dux Limitis

Seriously? Mad Max is superior in every way.

Typical overrated Tarantino flick. Usually the action and dialogue makes up for it, but there was hardly any action and the dialogue was simply boring. It wasn't witty or snappy, it wasn't dramatic and most of it was irrelevant, it was just a bunch of guys talking. He's trying so hard to recapture the magic of Buscemi's rant that he's become a masturbatory writer.

Jackons is his usual one note character, Roth's and the 'Mexican''s sole function was doing a funny accent, and except for Leigh and Goggins no one got any worthwhile dialogue.

And once again, under the guise of a homage, Tarantino makes a cartoon of a genre.
    This doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Leone's and Eastwood's Westerns.
    Some day I'll actually write all the reviews I keep promising...

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

^Tarantino is not a good director, but primarily he sucks as a writer, and he is a half a trick pony plot/character wise. Had he won the oscar for Pulp Fiction, people likely would never had heard the end of it
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Very enjoyable movie in my opinion, very unique which is what you expect from tarentino. Some great quirky characters in there too, with kurt russel and Jackson stealing the scene in the beginning like you would expect and then Walton Goggins character emerges towards the end from what was initially a pretty stupid goofball character.

Movie was plenty compelling, perhaps a bit too long, and well acted. Not the best tarentino film, not as good as Django unchained or Basterds. But good none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by Manco View Post
    Seriously? Mad Max is superior in every way.
    It blows my mind people actually thought Mad Max was an Oscar caliber movie. This is definitely a case of the Academy doing what that little club does - awarding their little favorites and dissing the outsiders. The dialogue in Mad Max was not good at all. The acting was inferior to The Force Awakens and Hateful Eight IMO let alone the best performances of the year. And the entire 'plot', and I use that term lightly, was ridiculously over the top and illogical in the extreme.

I think this debate is going to move past Hateful Eight so I'm going to start and Oscar thread since there isn't one and I'll finish my post there:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...6#post14814786
    Last edited by chilon; January 15, 2016 at 03:35 PM.
    "Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs," I said. "We have a protractor."

Under Patronage of: Captain Blackadder

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Anyone see that Netflix has released a "miniseries" version of this with new footage?

Since I haven't seen the original yet I cannot compare but I think I remember seeing it's an hour or so of cut footage added in.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Anyone see that Netflix has released a "miniseries" version of this with new footage?

Since I haven't seen the original yet I cannot compare but I think I remember seeing it's an hour or so of cut footage added in.
    I'd heard it was just an extra 10 minutes or so, and the other 50 minutes was legitimately just title sequence/recap at the start of each episode, and credits at the end of each episode.

Miles

Saw the original, back when it was in theatres. Spent the entire film waiting for them to get to Red Rock, and they never get there. At least that episode of Itchy and Scratchy with Poochy didn't take 2 and a half hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post

Do you know if they get to Red Rock in the version with new footage?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12