Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: CA response

Default Re: CA response

Quote Originally Posted by Woody0 View Post
    No. I think the thin line between trying to sell a product and exploiting people would be too hard to regulate. Marketing is trying to get people to purchase your product by highlighting it's good points. Which can be considered lying by omission, since you are not mentioning it's shortcomings.

I would like to see consumer education and pressuring companies to think ethically when coming up with their marketing strategy.

Looking at the past and what legislation needed to get passed to protect consumers I do not see the way I would like working. You can find many examples across different industries needing legislation to get them to change.

Many companies' ethics come from the laws that tell them what they can do and what they can not do.

I just see trying to regulate marketing practices since it is a fine line being a real pain.
    I don't see how you can do anything other than letting the consumers fend for themselves, especially with luxury goods like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    I don't see how you can do anything other than letting the consumers fend for themselves, especially with luxury goods like this.
    1°/ Not the first time you mention that a TW game is a luxury good. It definitely isn't.

2°/ I don't understand why a luxury industry would be incompatible with any form of customer protection anyway

3°/ And some industry regulations would be relatively straightforward to put into place. Some simple rules about product quality and false advertising would largely prevent games from being released in a broken state. Such regulations are also sorely lacking for an industry of this size, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    quote a quick google later http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ion-unit-guide so yea, just extra units and fleshing out the barbarian faction. I knew my memory haven't gone bad.
    Look at the list again. Then look at the list for the RTW vanilla roster. Then maybe try playing them ? BI rosters are about as different from RTW rosters as Attila rosters are from RTW II. No question. Attila and BI are set in virtually the same period for god's sake, a few decades apart. At worst a couple celtic units were renamed and recycled, but that's to be expected for the time. The Germans, Romans, Sassanids, Huns, and Nomads all have completely new rosters. Uniforms, armor, colors, factions etc are all different. Was a great expansion for its time. Hell, FOTS and Shogun 2 had more variance between them than Attila does to RTW II, and FOTS required Shogun 2 to play!

you just said it could be anything, which is all I ever meant: The DLC could be massive or little, so what? At best it sounds like you say you really really really want chaos but don't trust CA even with steam refunds. Alright.
    All indications are it is a significant part of the game, have you seen any evidence that suggests otherwise? I thought I made it pretty clear this was about the pre-order incentives and the impact they have on the industry... Slippery slope and all. And no one should "trust" a business. Hell, even charities deserve scathing scrutiny.

What's the point of preordering without chaos? I see none. If they take chaos off the preorder, I'll cancel the preorder and wait for reviews.
    Rewarding a company that made a great game? You did read the part where I said "only if reliable reviewers strongly praise the game (to paraphrase)"? Maybe to play the game early (and pre-load) because you were looking forward to it?

You keep thinking I'm telling you to shut up. You guys have been on this forum for over a decade thinking you're going to change CA. I've only ever seen them buckle down even more. Good luck.
    Yeah might just be reading that into your posts. It is a sentiment I see a lot lately and I can get defensive when I hear that. Oh and I haven't been "trying to change CA" for a decade lol. Just recently, with this latest controversy.

I watched a bit of the video.
    Get back to me when you watch the whole thing. Start at 4:30 if you feel really pressed on time for some reason. Totally dismiss it if you want, but then our conversation is pretty much over. Imo it is a valid perspective. Agree to disagree and what not.

Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post

All indications are it is a significant part of the game, have you seen any evidence that suggests otherwise? I thought I made it pretty clear this was about the pre-order incentives and the impact they have on the industry... Slippery slope and all. And no one should "trust" a business. Hell, even charities deserve scathing scrutiny.
    There could be tons of DLC that is a significant part of the game. CA wants the money early or they want more for the game. If you don't want the stuff... oh that's right your philosophy is to whine about it while not buying. So yeah, keep doing that I guess. I'm just warning you I've never seen it work with CA.

Rewarding a company that made a great game? You did read the part where I said "only if reliable reviewers strongly praise the game (to paraphrase)"? Maybe to play the game early (and pre-load) because you were looking forward to it?
    Why preorder at all? Just wait until the entire community gets ahold of it. There's no fiscal reason for you to do so, only on the idea of a few reviews that you trust, not the entire playerbase finding whatever could be wrong with it. You can do that if you want, I see no reason to give CA money for nothing and less ability to know what's wrong with it, meanwhile possibly then exercising my steam refund privilege when I shouldn't have to.

Yeah might just be reading that into your posts. It is a sentiment I see a lot lately and I can get defensive when I hear that. Oh and I haven't been "trying to change CA" for a decade lol. Just recently, with this latest controversy.
    Yeah I didn't think you were for a decade either, it's just CA has been at the brunt of massive complaints forum wide for over a decade. I've never seen them change and people only seem to hate them more and more etc.

Get back to me when you watch the whole thing. Start at 4:30 if you feel really pressed on time for some reason. Totally dismiss it if you want, but then our conversation is pretty much over. Imo it is a valid perspective. Agree to disagree and what not.
    I did watch the rest of it. And yeah... He says whine and you'll get your way. Seems that comment was on the ball. I haven't seen that work with CA once, and I've been on this site for 12 years. It probably depends on the publisher, and the victories he listed apparently long-lasting or didn't seem that big really. Just half compromises etc.

In terms of what works and doesn't work, it might be that whining is really the most effective unfortunately. I'm by temperament not a whiner, I just calmly tell CA what I think like here: https://plus.google.com/u/1/b/113127...ts/HjdrRhrDwMK

Quote Originally Posted by frenchyvinnie View Post
    1°/ Not the first time you mention that a TW game is a luxury good. It definitely isn't.

2°/ I don't understand why a luxury industry would be incompatible with any form of customer protection anyway

3°/ And some industry regulations would be relatively straightforward to put into place. Some simple rules about product quality and false advertising would largely prevent games from being released in a broken state. Such regulations are also sorely lacking for an industry of this size, IMO
    Can you eat a hotpocket while complaining about blood DLC or preorder bonuses for something that is entirely entertainment? Yeah, it's a luxury/non-essential good or whatever you wanna call as far as I'm concerned. Are there regulators of this type for other entertainment industries? I've never heard of them, and I'd bet the gaming industry would get alot duller if we actually had "marketing fairness czars" in every publisher's marketing department. Bleh.
    Last edited by DavidtheDuke; November 06, 2015 at 08:00 PM.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Look at the list again. Then look at the list for the RTW vanilla roster. Then maybe try playing them ? BI rosters are about as different from RTW rosters as Attila rosters are from RTW II. No question. Attila and BI are set in virtually the same period for god's sake, a few decades apart. At worst a couple celtic units were renamed and recycled, but that's to be expected for the time. The Germans, Romans, Sassanids, Huns, and Nomads all have completely new rosters. Uniforms, armor, colors, factions etc are all different. Was a great expansion for its time. Hell, FOTS and Shogun 2 had more variance between them than Attila does to RTW II, and FOTS required Shogun 2 to play!
    I dunno how you can draw that conclusion. are you sure you didn't confuse it with a full conversion mod? I really don't want to have to prove this point by counting units and providing pictures for each one for comparison. too much work.
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

If they are willing to take the loss in revenue (which so far seems to be quite a bit judging by where the game has been in the Steam Top Sellers list), so be it.
    Don't you just love it when people twist the facts to suit themselves.
    "Mummy. I want a Big Mac because it has lettuce in it and lettuce is good for you."
    These people love to compare sales of a game that won't be able to be played for 6 months, to games that you can play immediately.
    So let's do a like for like comparison shall we. (or as close as we can get)
    Of all the pre-order games on Steam, Total War Warhammer has been top of the bestsellers for the past 2 weeks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warhammer sales.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	168.5 KB 
ID:	331963
    But, hey. Why let the facts get in the way of a good rant.

Oh, and by the way, Theo. How dare you, who has not purchase TW Warhammer, and thus has no consumer rights over the product, demand CA remove the Chaos Warrior Pack from the product I have purchased. On yer bike.
    Last edited by von stoker; November 06, 2015 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by von stoker View Post
    "Mummy. I want a Big Mac because it has lettuce in it and lettuce is good for you."
    These people love to compare sales of a game that won't be able to be played for 6 months, to games that you can play immediately.
    Of all the pre-order games on Steam, Total War Warhammer has been top of the bestsellers for the past 2 weeks.

Oh, and by the way, Theo. How dare you, who has not purchase TW Warhammer, and thus has no consumer rights over the product, demand CA remove the Chaos Warrior Pack from the product I have purchased. On yer bike.
    He wouldn't want it removed from what you bought/pre-ordered, he wants it put in the base game. That's his wish, doesn't mean he'll get it, but you'd not really be losing or gaining anything. I'd cancel the preorder, so I guess you're losing the annoyance of preorder to get the chaos pack specifically.

And the game is on the 6th page right now of top sellers. What that means in terms of actual units we can't tell, but I'd guess by page 6 sales can't be that much, especially for a AAA game. They will rise almost certainly in the 2 months or so to the release date. http://store.steampowered.com/search...&os=win&page=6

dunno how you can draw that conclusion.
    Alright, just off the top of my head. Comitatenses look nothing like RTW I Roman Legions. Vandal and Roxoloni Steppe archers are equipped differently from Scythian horse archers. No Frankish melee units look anything like Germanic Chosen Warriors. First game didn't have priests... Huns are completely original. You have a point with the naked fanatics and a couple of the low tier archers. Roman Cataphractii and Clibanrii are completely different from the RTW Greek ones, same goes for Sassanid vs. Parthian/Armenian. Carriage ballistas! Paladins. Foederati. Gallowglasses. Auxilla Palatina have no equivalent. Sassanid Immortals have no rome total war equivalent. You might find a few of exceptions among the lowest tier units but for the most part the rosters are unique compared to RTW I. Earlier you asserted that BI "just fleshing out the barbarian faction". It looks like you are lumping in the Huns, Nomads, Berbers and Sassanids with "Barbarians", lol. I realize if you ignore the details on some of these units they may look very similar to vanilla RTW units, but you will find most of them are equipped differently if you look at the actual clothing and outfits. FYI, the Huns, Roxolani, Berbers, Sassanids, and Sarmatians are not in RTW I, they are added into BI, and none of them are "Barbarians" in the most used sense (Celtic and Germanic tribes).

EDIT: Okay, I can see how you can lump most of these factions into the category "barbarians", but you can do the same with most of the factions in Attila too, so I don't see what you are trying to say...
    Sorry man you're just wrong on this point. Unless you mean the skeletons and animations are identical and the base naked models (without the skins and equipment) are similar. But then that is the case between Rome II and Attila as well. Lots of resources get recycled. The comparison between Attila and BI as expansions remains valid.

So yeah, keep doing that I guess. I'm just warning you I've never seen it work with CA.
    Alright, well agree to disagree. But I for one would hate to see the state of the industry if gamers never whined.

Oh damn, you're right! Can't argue with that.

He wouldn't want it removed from what you bought/pre-ordered, he wants it put in the base game. That's his wish, doesn't mean he'll get it, but you'd not really be losing or gaining anything. I'd cancel the preorder, so I guess you're losing the annoyance of preorder to get the chaos pack specifically.

And the game is on the 6th page right now of top sellers. What that means in terms of actual units we can't tell, but I'd guess by page 6 sales can't be that much, especially for a AAA game. They will rise almost certainly in the 2 months or so to the release date. http://store.steampowered.com/search...&os=win&page=6
    FYI, von stoker was being sarcastic .
    Last edited by Theo; November 06, 2015 at 09:05 PM.

Alright, just off the top of my head. Comitatenses look nothing like RTW I Roman Legions. Vandal and Roxoloni Steppe archers are equipped differently from Scythian horse archers. No Frankish melee units look anything like Germanic Chosen Warriors. First game didn't have priests... Huns are completely original. You have a point with the naked fanatics and a couple of the low tier archers. Roman Cataphractii and Clibanrii are completely different from the RTW Greek ones, same goes for Sassanid vs. Parthian/Armenian. Carriage ballistas! Paladins. Foederati. Gallowglasses. Auxilla Palatina have no equivalent. Sassanid Immortals have no rome total war equivalent. You might find a few of exceptions among the lowest tier units but for the most part the rosters are unique compared to RTW I. Earlier you asserted that BI "just fleshing out the barbarian faction". It looks like you are lumping in the Huns, Nomads, Berbers and Sassanids with "Barbarians", lol. I realize if you ignore the details on some of these units they may look very similar to vanilla RTW units, but you will find most of them are equipped differently if you look at the actual clothing and outfits. FYI, the Huns, Roxolani, Berbers, Sassanids, and Sarmatians are not in RTW I, they are added into BI, and none of them are "Barbarians" in the most used sense (Celtic and Germanic tribes).

Sorry man you're just wrong on this point. Unless you mean the skeletons and animations are identical and the base naked models (without the skins and equipment) are similar. But then that is the case between Rome II and Attila as well. Lots of resources get recycled. The comparison between Attila and BI as expansions remains valid.
    I know you took the effort but I just can't be bothered to put in that work I need to prove it to you but yes, I pretty much group the steppe tribes and the northern euro barbs together. and adding a few new units into a faction is not " a brand new roster"
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

I know you took the effort but I just can't be bothered to put in that work I need to prove it to you but yes, I pretty much group the steppe tribes and the northern euro barbs together. and adding a few new units into a faction is not " a brand new roster"
    No need for you to put in any work. Here are a couple examples I've found:

May edit with more as I find them.

RTW roman roster: http://totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/House...anUnits_01.png
    BI Roman Roster: http://totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Categ...Invasion_Units

RTW Germania Roster: http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/info/...ts/index.shtml
    Typical BI Alemanni Stack: http://i34.tinypic.com/jtlwtc.jpg

(I guess I can see your point with a couple of the shirtless Alemanni units. Other than that...)

Scythia: http://totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Scyth...anUnits_01.png
    Typical starting Sarmatian Stack (best I could find): http://rtw.heavengames.com/rtw/strat...es/index.shtml (first pic in the link, right click and hit "view image" to enlarge)

Parthia RTW roster: http://totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Parth...anUnits_01.png
    Sassanid BI roster: http://www.slavab.com/images/RTW/sassanids01.jpg
    Last edited by Theo; November 06, 2015 at 10:30 PM.

To give you a comparison I will use Rome 2 since I think CA/SEGA expects this game to perform at least somewhere near the sales it got.

When Rome 2 came out it stayed within or very close to the top ten for at least a week. It even made it to number for short times.

This game made it to around #5 then quickly fell out of the top ten. So it stayed in the top ten for less then 1/2 a day.
    It continued to fall to around 140's in the first week.

Attila sold around 500,000 copies and when it became available for pre-order it stayed with-in at least the top 100 the first week.
    I want to say it was in the top 50 but did not follow the game too closely. I do not remember for sure how long after the pre-order was announced when I checked it.

Even not knowing actual numbers we can assume it is not selling well right now. Sales for the first week after release can be predicted using the sales numbers for the first week of pre-orders.

Right now it is at around 125.

Now it could be several factors like time before release, games it is competing against, the Chaos DLC.

What I find amusing is the Season Pass for Fallout 4 has been out selling it by a very large margin. It has not fell out of the top 20 and has been in the top 10 most of the time and the first DLC is not planned for release until 2016.

Edit: forgot to add if you sort the list it no longer sorts by sales but by release date.
    Last edited by Woody0; November 06, 2015 at 09:37 PM.

Alright, well agree to disagree. But I for one would hate to see the state of the industry if gamers never whined.
    If they were all like me things would be better, but that doesn't matter because that's not the case.

FYI, von stoker was being sarcastic .
    hah, hard to tell given he went to the trouble of post a screenshot. I've seen crazier who are serious.

No need for you to put in any work. Here are a couple examples I've found:

May edit with more as I find them.

RTW roman roster: http://totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/House...anUnits_01.png
    BI Roman Roster: http://totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Categ...Invasion_Units

Scythia: http://totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Scyth...anUnits_01.png
    Typical starting Sarmatian Stack (best I could find): http://rtw.heavengames.com/albums/album10/horde1.jpg

Parthia RTW roster: http://totalwar.wikia.com/wiki/Parth...anUnits_01.png
    Sassanid BI roster: http://www.slavab.com/images/RTW/sassanids01.jpg
    is the bi one you link the new units or it's entire roster? the main factions of the BI expac were the 2 roman factions + the barbs. it should be a given that they either have an entire new roster or added alot of new units. But if it is the entire roster, that is actually a huge downgrade.

heavegames link is forbidden.

parthia and sass is basically a recolor job.

you are actually proving my case theo
    fear is helluva drug

Quote Originally Posted by Woody0 View Post
    Edit: forgot to add if you sort the list it no longer sorts by sales but by release date.
    Yeah, I stuffed that one up. Having a quick look through pre-order sales it is at no. 4. (with the top 2 out this week) As like for like as I can get.
    The point is, comparing sales of games you can play immediately, with a game you won't be able to play for 6 months is just skewing statistics to support you view.
    Last edited by von stoker; November 06, 2015 at 10:23 PM.

is the bi one you link the new units or it's entire roster? the main factions of the BI expac were the 2 roman factions + the barbs. it should be a given that they either have an entire new roster or added alot of new units.
    Erm... "Barbarians" + Romans + Sassanids are the only factions playable in BI vanilla. Going by your definition of barbarians, the same is true for Attila, minus its latest DLC. And yes, the roman links are for the entire rosters. The rest of the BI faction pics are the random units included in what few pictures I managed to find, if you only see new units it is because the majority of their rosters are new units...

heavegames link is forbidden.
    Type it into google if it isn't opening on your browser.

parthia and sass is basically a recolor job.
    If by "re-colour job" you mean new hats, armor, helmets, shirts, pants, equipment in general, plus new colors, then I guess you are right. Are you only looking at the horses? lol

you are actually proving my case theo
    Nope.
    Last edited by Theo; November 06, 2015 at 10:26 PM.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

That blog response didn't really explain anything, it's like they walked around in circles avoiding the core subject. Reminds me a lot of how politicians work semantics. Much talk, little sense.
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

because I don't want to fight 100 battles for 1/5th of a province. it may work in eu, but not in tw games.
    There is a difference between what you or I want, and what can be done. I'm merely arguing that it can be done and that I would prefer it. To me it's much more satysfying to conquer France in EU4 after sweating blood for one hundred years and making a huge joint military, economic AND diplomatic effort than just getting a stack and just choosing a random direction to steamroll, just jumping from town to town and conquering the entire Gaul in a breeze as in Rome 2.

I'm not trying to impose my personal ideal TW on the rest of you, I'm just voicing my preferences. And I think those preferences are actually feasible.

the change from risk style campaign map to the current 3D map is what broke the CAI
    I don't really get why are you defending the current system then.

but you can still recruit from any where in your own country. that is the huge difference.
    I don't see why that's such a big deal. And given that you say you prefer the EU system, I also don't see what stops TW from adapting it (I personally have no preference here. Being able to recruit the same units in all provinces adds nothing in my opinion, but that's not the feature I'm discussing).

I wouldn't mind it at all if future TW games switch to the 1 country = 1 focal point system
    Empire did that. I personally think that it goes against the concept of conquest, which after all is key to TW be it in a more literal or relaxed form. I found it a bit weird that if you were france and invaded Spain, you could pretty much annex no province other than the whole of Spain (ok, an Gibraltar )

just saying, because you would like something to happen, doesn't mean it will you can make a list of million things and non of them would ever come true.
    Well, I never said it will. I just voice my preferences in hope that they might come true, or at least influence the outcome in some way. If no one here would have voiced their concerns about the dlc policy, we would have got no official CA statement, for instance.

um did you follow attila release? I did. ca did alot of live streams. even change the player when the first one got alot of complains from viewers that the player sucked and youtube fans with alot of subs got free advance copies to make reviews 1 week before release date.
    I honestly didn't, but again, if that's the case, then good for us, you won't see me complaining. I have my doubts about the same happening Warhammer though. Call it expansion or full game, the truth is that Warhammer and Rome had a much higher relevance.

what is the point of complaining though in light of the choices and options? it makes no sense. unless you just like to complain? if you are just ranting, try to end or start your posts with /rant.
    Again, if we hadn't, we would not have got the statement.

I complaing because I want things to change. If I had no goal, I would not complain, but my goal is clear. I don't think I'm ranting. To me, ranting implies to be emotional, angry and unreasonable, and I don't think I am.

Yeah, I stuffed that one up. Having a quick look through pre-order sales it is at no. 4. (with the top 2 out this week) As like for like as I can get.
    The point is, comparing sales of games you can play immediately, with a game you won't be able to play for 6 months is just skewing statistics to support you view.
    Wow, maybe he is serious O_O?

No, he would have provided a link to the steam pre-order sales if he was serious.

EDIT: In case this guy isn't pretending, and is serious about comparing "like with like", here's a link to an article written shortly after Rome II became available for pre-order: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tot.../1100-6408521/

Get the impression Warhammer Total War has approached anything remotely near those numbers in it's first week being available for pre-order?
    Last edited by Theo; November 06, 2015 at 11:41 PM.

Wow, maybe he is serious O_O?

No, he would have provided a link to the steam pre-order sales if he was serious.

EDIT: In case this guy isn't pretending, and is serious about comparing "like with like", here's a link to an article written shortly after Rome II became available for pre-order: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/tot.../1100-6408521/

Get the impression Warhammer Total War has approached anything remotely near those numbers in it's first week being available for pre-order?
    The point is, comparing sales of games you can play immediately, with a game you won't be able to play for 6 months is just skewing statistics to support your view.
    Do you understand that. I mean do you really understand that. Because you seem unable (or unwilling) to acknowledge that simple fact.
    Last edited by von stoker; November 07, 2015 at 12:17 AM.

The point is, comparing sales of games you can play immediately, with a game you won't be able to play for 6 months is just skewing statistics to support your view.
    Do you understand that. I mean do you really understand that. Because you seem unable (or unwilling) to acknowledge that simple fact.
    A game being 5-6 pages down on the top sellers list less than a week after it becomes available for pre-order means it isn't doing too well selling, that is all I was saying. I never compared it to Witcher 3 or MGSV in sales. You're the one who brought it up and are now demanding I concede a point I never made.

Then I made a direct comparison to Rome II Week 1 pre-order sales, and you completely ignored it because it contradicts your... position.

Reply if you like, but I am done responding to you. I actually thought you were being sarcastic in your first post. You should really consider changing the way you express yourself if you want people to believe you aren't a parody... I'm honestly still not sure.