Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Comandeer From Medieval europe ?

Opifex

Default Re: Greatest Comandeer From Medieval europe ?

I'm surprised no one has brought up El Cid, yet. An undefeated warrior, champion of Alfonso, carved himself his own private kingdom (Valencia). Arabic poets lamented something like: "He's the greatest warrior we'd ever seen, God curse him."

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty,
    the tranquility of servitude greater than
    the animating contest for freedom, go
    home from us in peace. We seek not
    your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch
    down and lick the hand that feeds you,
    and may posterity forget that ye were
    our countrymen."
    -Samuel Adams

Last Roman's Avatar ron :wub:in swanson

Quote Originally Posted by SigniferOne View Post
    I'm surprised no one has brought up El Cid, yet. An undefeated warrior, champion of Alfonso, carved himself his own private kingdom (Valencia). Arabic poets lamented something like: "He's the greatest warrior we'd ever seen, God curse him."

ahem:

Quote Originally Posted by me
    the Black Prince comes to mind, Belisarius, Henry V, El Cid to name a few.
    house of Rububula, under the patronage of Nihil, patron of Hotspur, David Deas, Freddie, Askthepizzaguy and Ketchfoop
    Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company
    -Mark Twain

Flavius Nevitta's Avatar Civitate

I would like to add Rudolph I. of Habsburg.

the battle of Duernkrut was a great victory for him
    RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

MINERVAE ET SOLIS INVICTI DISCIPVLVS

formerly known as L.C.Cinna

Steistas's Avatar Tiro

Alexander Nevsky
    William Wallace
    Member of B.A.L.T.S.

Don't overthink...

Sadreddine's Avatar Lost in a Paradise Lost

One more to add:

Muhammad Ibn Abi Amir, known as Al-Mansur bi Lah. That is, Almanzor.

No hispanic kingdom defeated him in his numerous campaigns against Aragon, Castille-Leon or Navarre, who were his vassals and paid tribute to him. Sacked Barcelona once, Burgos many times and Santiago de Compostela to provoke all christiandom in his most famous (or infamous) campaign.

And that if we don´t mention his also victorious campaigns in northern Africa while being at the service of the Caliph Al-Hakam II, before turning himself into the ruler of the Caliphate by manipulating the true Caliph into submission.
    Last edited by Sadreddine; December 07, 2006 at 08:23 AM.
    Struggling by the Pen since February 2007.

َاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ

Quote Originally Posted by L.C.Cinna View Post
    I would like to add Rudolph I. of Habsburg.

the battle of Duernkrut was a great victory for him
    Rudolf?
    OttakarII was better. Although he lost Durnkrut to Rudolf, he fought to his last breath like a lion. But the reason he lost is because his army was ournumbered. Rudolf had Imperium, Papacy, and Hungary on his side, while Ottakar had only his Bohemian crownlands, plus few Imperial and Polish allies.

When Ottakar led a Crusade against Prussians, Rudolf served in his army as a retainer. I think of the two, Ottakar was better. Just consider that he fought bitterly with his troops, even when they were routing. That shows guts.

The Story of Janosik <>Courtesy of Cracker Monkey and ARCHER29

Undoubtedly, Jan ˇi˛ka deserves some credit.

Also, one that I believe has remained unmentioned - Enrico Dandolo.
    Under the patronage of Valus; proud Client of the House of Caesars.

"Pax tibi, Marce, evangelista meus; hic requiescet corpus tuum."

"Tole', questa no la dopero piu'."

Sir John Talbot, 1st Earl of Shewsbury.

Talbot Link

Sadreddine's Avatar Lost in a Paradise Lost

I´m seeing here than it´s very difficult, if not impossible, to pick one general that almost all of us agree he is the best commander in the Medieval period. Granted, we haven´t got an Hannibal or an Alexander here.

Why is this? I have my own opinion on the matter but let´s see what you think of this curious thing...
    Struggling by the Pen since February 2007.

َاللَّهُ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ

how can you people forsake him? the man who fought for us Christians. The man who broke the hordes with his semi civilized germans. Charles Martel.

Charles Martel, the only man in history to have broken the back of the invader Islam. He is the wests Constantine. The saviour in alll but name. He should be a saint. How evil it is the church hasnt did such a noble deed to such a great man. Good germans Good weapons great battle. Bless his soul for saving civiliation. Bless you noble sir. May you rest in heven where the saints lay in the bossom of the lord.

Thank You +

look him up on wiki and read about what other historians thought of him.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

Vlad Tepes -> interesting tactics
    Saladin -> he intrigues me -> reading a book about him

on a personal note John the Blind, Count of Luxembourg and King of Bohemia (+ Crécy, 1346)

an able politician, and a noble heart. totally blind, he chose not to forsake his allegiance to the french king and rode into battle, to die. methinks the black prince took his motto 'ich dien' (i serve) as his own after the battle

(on a short note, he died by an arrow which penetrated his brains through his left eye and a lance/sword [don't remember exactly] thrust through his chest)

he's a national hero in luxembourg (my country you undoubtedly guessed already) and lies in honor in the crypt beside the ducal family of luxembourg...
    "Siehst du in des Waldes Grün feindlicher Gewehrmaschin?"
    - Peronje

"Der NKWD in Russland, der SD im Deutschland des Dritten Reiches und alle anderen Geheimpolizeiorganisationen ähnlicher Art sind Spielwiesen für Psychopathen, für Usurpatoren illegaler Macht über Millionen.
    Dort liegen die Krebsherde der modernen Gesellschaft."

aus "Holt Hartmann vom Himmel" Motorbuch Verlag Spezial 2007

blind and rode into battle? how the hell was he expected to fight? but god is that brave. stupid but brave. There is nothing like valient men.
    Without a sign, his sword the brave man draws, and asks no omen but his country's cause

Liberalism is a mental disorder

Rion's Avatar Libertus

IIRC he wasn't born blind, so he knew how to ride and fight, and it was his intention to just hack against the enemy from horseback.
    Edit: Here's my list (although I may have forgotten some):
    Jan Zizka
    Bertrand du Guesclin
    Robert the Bruce
    the Black Prince
    Saladin
    El Cid
    Henry V
    Last edited by Rion; December 09, 2006 at 02:32 AM.

Games Played:
    Emperor: RotMK; RoL; RoN - Gold Edition; Heroes I-V, with expansions; Cossacks: Anthology; AoE 1-3; AoE3: TWC; ; AoM: TT; Anno 1602; Stronghold: 1, Crusader and 2; KoH, Civ 3-4, with expansions; Rome: Total War - Gold Edition, Castlestrike, Medieval II: Total War, Stronghold Legends.
    Games im hoping to/know i'll get in christmas presents
    Dawn of War: Gold Edition, Dawn of War: Dark Crusade, Heroes V: Hammers of Fate (or Farmers of Hate ).

Of course Richard the lionhearthed the first after the fall of Jeruzalem who won a battle against saladin's forces

my favorite Gruuthuyse not important in global history but an important man in Burgundian history

Charlemaigne

actually I'm totaly agreeing with rigneck
    Last edited by Aether; December 09, 2006 at 08:22 AM.

Valus's Avatar Natura, artis magistra

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    Of course Richard the lionhearthed the first who won a battle against saladin's forces
    Not true, Saladin was defeated by Baldwin IV at the battle of Mont Gisard in 1177 which predates Richards crusade...
    But I have to agree that Richard was nonetheless one of the best commanders during the medieval age, though if he was the "best" I cannot tell....
    Last edited by Valus; December 09, 2006 at 06:30 AM.
    Under the patronage of Sųren
    The proud liege of Mimirswell, Proximus, Rhah, Phaedo and EmperorJulian

Former Moderator and Senatorii
    Member of the House of Caesars

In Arsuf with the landing of Richard the lionhearthed in 1191 he defeated saladin's army.
    He let his infantrymen surround his horsemen as a protective square, so that the tactics of saladin's army hit'n run wouldn't work, instead of making the english horsemen tired, they themselves had tired their horses on the infantrymen, so that the heavy horses of the english who were well rested would be capable of running as fast as the moorish ones. That was the tactic Richard used on Saladin's horsemen who had lighter and faster horses.
    Last edited by Aether; December 09, 2006 at 06:34 AM.

Senator

Bohemond of Taranto comes to mind, he was the mastermind behind all the battles during the first Crusade. Without him the crusaders would be annihilated.

Also Belisarius needs to be mentioned of course. And Charlemagne.

Quote Originally Posted by Valus View Post
    Not true, Saladin was defeated by Baldwin IV at the battle of Mont Gisard in 1177 which predates Richards crusade...
    But I have to agree that Richard was nonetheless one of the best commanders during the medieval age, though if he was the "best" I cannot tell....

ok you win :p

Edward the Longshanks

Henry of Grosmont's Avatar Clockwork Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Edvinsen View Post
    Edward the Longshanks
    As a ruler -no doubt. As a general, well, let's say, he was good.
    Zizka - In my opinion, one of the best that time.
    Lionheart sucked as a general and king. He was famous as a warrior and spendidng some time in jail for mureder. (and after this, somebody's saying, inquisitiors burned his heir. lol)
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxchamp
    John the Blind, Count of Luxembourg and King of Bohemia
    I would like to suggest you to read moe about him. Yes, they say he was chivalrous, but stupid, sorry.
    Henry V - yes. His campaign planning was good. The rest, everybody knows.
    The Black Prince - oops. One of the bloodiest and dreadest general of Medieval, possibly.
    Saladin - agreed.
    Alexander Nevski. Hoho. His victories were nothing, but russian propoganda. the same way, they denied vikings and vends, they exadurated numbers on both, Neva river and Chudskoe lake battles. First, they were swedish pillgrims and very few warriors, Alexander wanted to make an example of them. Second battle, his almost 6000 army, including his Druzhina, professional soldiers (retainers) around (they say it differenty 2400-4000), so, I won't put the numbers, against 1200 expedition corps (around 80-120 knights). Great victory. Yeah, right. And same goes to Dimitry Donskoy - russian rulers love, and always did to take their victories "slightly" different than it was. The only general, thr great one, genious, they had, was Suvorov, but first, has nothing to do with Medieval, second was infantile manic, writing Ekaterina was a whore (I would say slut) etc.
    Belisarius, Martel, Charlemagne and Ragnar Lodbrok should be included too.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast