Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 2015 Total War Mod Awards! Nominations OPEN!

CA Developer Icon The 2015 Total War Mod Awards! Nominations OPEN!

Hey everyone I’m pleased to announce the 2nd annual Total War Mod Awards!
    This year we’ll be celebrating some of the best mods of 2015 from Total War: ROME II and Total War: ATTILA.

The Total War Mod Awards were created to highlight the innovative achievements of the vast Total War modding community. This year there are 6 categories which players can vote for, plus the coveted CA Legacy Award which will be chosen by Creative Assembly staff.

The 2015 Total War Mod Awards categories are:
    • Best Unit
    • Best Overhaul
    • Best Graphical
    • Most Innovative
    • Best Map
    • Players Choice
    • CA Legacy

The nominations will last until 3rd of November at 5PM GMT. Players can nominate their favorite mods (one nomination per category) and the most popular six in each category will get drafted into a final shortlist.

Voting for the final winners will then commence on the 4th of November by our judges panel. However, The Players Choice award will be thrown back out to be voted on by the community. The Players Choice award is hosted by ModDB, so if you are a modder, we strongly advise creating a page for your mod here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/add as the voting will be done through their site.

The only rules for submitting a mod for nomination is that is must have released within the last year, OR had a significant update within the last year.

Nominations can be made now using the following link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2015ModAwards

Alongside the Mod Awards, we here at CA are hosting the 4th annual mod summit at the studio. Some of the most prominent modders in the Total War community have been invited to the studio to discuss key areas of mod support for the future, in particular how new mods can be better promoted and to take an advanced look at some forthcoming content.

Any questions let me know!

Below I’ve included what each category represents in more detail:

Best Unit Mod
    Awarded for an outstanding mod that changes the way units work, look or introduces entirely new ones. This mod might expand existing faction rosters in new directions, seek to rebalance factions for a desired outcome or attempt to create interesting face-offs and influence campaign and battle behaviour by equipping factions with new recruitment options. It could introduce new armour styles, weapons or entirely new units all together, displaying excellent technical and/or creative modelling skills based on diligently researched historical reference, imaginative flights of fantasy or exciting ‘what-ifs’.

Best Overhaul

Awarded for a mod that subtly or dramatically changes the way the game plays or feels almost from start to finish. Though the largest mods are likely to be included in this category, the judges will give equal weighting to small mods and tweaks that intelligently and ingeniously alter gameplay through small or light-touch alterations. This includes mods that introduce new subsections of the time period, explore interesting ‘what-if’ scenarios or alter the flow of the game to introduce extreme and challenging circumstances or highlight specific historical events or areas of authenticity.

Best Graphical

Intended to celebrate a strong aesthetic vision, this award will go to a mod which is judged to best visually impact the game; either in a small but important area which introduces a striking effect or a wide-ranging modification that changes the entire look of the game from start to end. Regardless of the size of the mod, in particular the judges will be expecting a clarity of artistic vision and a strong focused sense of what the author seeks to achieve with their changes. While credit will be given to those mods that introduce minimal or well-optimised overheads to hardware requirements across the board, the judges will also be looking out for ambitious mods that make good use of higher-end hardware.

Most Innovative
    This category seeks to celebrate those mods that think outside the box and add new things to the game in clever and ingenious ways. This includes the utilisation of the Assembly Kit in ground-breaking or unexpected ways, discovering new work-arounds, being the first to accomplish a new type of modification or open up new areas of the game to fellow modders. This award intends not only to acknowledge the inspirational work put into a specific mod, but also the good character and community spirit of the author, with the judges paying special attention to the manner in which the author promotes, communicates and shares his or her findings with the rest of the modding scene.

Best Map

For Total War: ATTILA only, the best map category focuses on innovation, creativity and polish when it comes to designing and creating unique maps to be played on. Both gameplay and aesthetics are taken into account here.

Players Choice
    The Player's Choice award represents the overall collective best in the eyes of the player. Cast your nomination for what you feel is the best mod out there for Rome II and ATTILA released or updated significantly in the last year. Once all the nominations are through, we'll **** the most popular 6 mods back out for the community to vote on, to decide the ultimate Player's Choice Award.

CA Legacy
    This award is a bit different from the others. The awards focus on ROME II / ATTILA as our most recent titles, but we would also like to make a special mention of the incredible mods that have been (and still are being) produced for our older titles. Feel free to recommend a mod from a previous game to us, but this award will be decided by a team of CA developers as a mark of deepest respect to a specific mod author or mod team who have gone above and beyond for one of our older titles.

-Darren

Default Re: The 2015 Total War Mod Awards! Nominations OPEN!

Hey Darren

Talking about Legacy

£49.99 for a game
    6 month pre-order DLC for a vital faction

CA legacy since ME2 has been t
    reating customers with utter contempt

Done, hope FOTE and DEI win some awards.

Hannib4l's Avatar Foederatus

DeI FTW

Ancient Empires Attila. Not ready yet, but it has already been the first to be able to basic mod the BAI and add in an entirely new faction from scratch.

Please AE, Medieval Kingdoms was modding Attila hardcore even before Attila's AK came out. Plus yours truly founded the techniques that allow modders to bring in external models into Rome 2/Attila.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sassanid-unit-mod
    Don't forget my mod guys!
    The download link is in the description
    download links :
    part 1 :
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/b5...ipsm9jg/ui.rar
    part 2 :
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/m4...anid_units.RAR
    Last edited by Shapur e Sassani; November 04, 2015 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by warman222 View Post
    Please AE, Medieval Kingdoms was modding Attila hardcore even before Attila's AK came out. Plus yours truly founded the techniques that allow modders to bring in external models into Rome 2/Attila.
    So were we...

In any case, as far as I am aware unfinished mods cannot be added in for an award.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Fair enough, though the Rome 2 version of MK is eligible so there you go. Also to clarify my remarks are in harmless fun, I actually have to give kudos to ABH for one of the main people who helped me with learning startpos editing.

Quote Originally Posted by Shapur e Sassani View Post
    http://www.moddb.com/mods/sassanid-unit-mod
    Don't forget my mod guys!
    The download link is in the description
    download links :
    part 1 :
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/b5...ipsm9jg/ui.rar
    part 2 :
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/m4...anid_units.RAR
    I wanna be in the mod awards too

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Shapur e Sassani View Post
    I wanna be in the mod awards too
    Its okay to not be the finalist, I mean no one was gonna beat DeI, not a chance for overhaul mod.

Also, begging for votes doesn't help your case much, just put your work out there and it will get rewarded eventually.

AoB didn't win for example, yeah I'm a little upset but I didn't expect any mods besides Radious, DeI and AE to win anyways. They are just really popular overhauls.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontfearme22 View Post
    Its okay to not be the finalist, I mean no one was gonna beat DeI, not a chance for overhaul mod.

Also, begging for votes doesn't help your case much, just put your work out there and it will get rewarded eventually.

AoB didn't win for example, yeah I'm a little upset but I didn't expect any mods besides Radious, DeI and AE to win anyways. They are just really popular overhauls.
    What about medieval kingdoms?

They were modding rome 2 before quake was released!

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Tyso3 View Post
    What about medieval kingdoms?

They were modding rome 2 before quake was released!
    this reference is going over my head, sorry

Read upwords, it will make sense.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

DeI will most likely get players choice award but...
    the best overhaul mod possibly not.
    If they base it on the entire mod including what was judged in the last awards then it prob will win.
    if it is based only on what has been released in the last year then it would be a lot less likely.
    ae is shaping up to be a big overhaul but only the battle system has been released and can only be judged so will it's reversion to a more simple battle mechanic really be capable of winning the " overhaul" category when competing against mods that have modded both campaign and battles and have added units or roster overhauls as well.
    Im wouldn't be surprised at all to see MK for r2 win it considering the sheer amount of content it has released, if it was released in the appropriate period.
    also don't forget FotE and radio us for Attila. I think there are a number of strong chances for best overhaul and its far from a forgone inclusion... Unless like stated, it is the whole mod and not just what has been added this year.
    Last edited by Magnar; November 07, 2015 at 02:28 AM.

Yes because DEI 1.0 or 1.1 releases this year were not significant.

Oh wait.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Tyso3 View Post
    Yes because DEI 1.0 or 1.1 releases this year were not significant.

Oh wait.
    i didn't say they weren't significant but it relative. is dei 1.0 to1.1 bigger than 0.0 to 0.9x ? Or more to hat I was saying is DeI 0 to 1.1 less significant than 0.9x to 1.1?

i also didn't say that based on those updates it shouldn't win only that There would be more competition based only on those updates vs the mod as a whole due to the relative amount of content.
    Or are you saying that whatever dei does is the best by such a large margin that there could never be any existence where another mod could be more deserving of the overhaul mod award? Is it that hard to imagine that there are other mods out there also doing significant releases? CAC is another I didn't mention who released their 1.0 this year as well.

Not at all, I appreciate the works of other modders, Hell i am one of them. Many mods have risen and fallen, Last year i can remember Vae Victus was the next big thing that everyone was talking about it, This year generally it has been DEI, and post release it was radious.

The problem is that due to CA and their 'most modifiable game to date' which doesnt contain CAMPAIGN MAPS, a massive part of any overhaul mod, all we have had are 100's of little mini mods, which create a more and more complex mod list for the users, when one mod becomes out of data it crashes the whole game, then people need to identify which mod is breaking their game.

So people turn to overhaul mods, these large mods that change a lot so they do not have to download 50 mini mods. And those mods the ones that people talk about. Some mods look amazing, i For example cant wait for AE on atilla, but without a release of note, people have nothing to talk about. Medieval kingdoms is a nice idea and would look amazing when its done, but without a release beyond a unit pack for custom battles only, most people would not give two figs.

Overhauls need to be large, updated regularly and talked about to be popular (in my opinion) and the only true overhauls (according to my standards) that feature that kind of notoriety are Radious or DEI, since both change the campaign and battle mechanics so much they can be considered an overhaul.

DEI just happens to be my now favorite of the two.

DEI 1.1 Was a significant release for me due to the Supply system, something that does something that no modder has done or even attempted for Rome 2. It is truly something unique that even CA didnt bother with. Also it changed the Wrath of Sparta campaign into something interesting and diverse, Something which nearly all people can agree that campaign lacked in.

Magnar's Avatar Artifex

Yes I agree with you for the most popular award.

i was more referring to best overhaul category though

also, an overhaul is not necessarily just bunch of mini mods combined. The benefit of an overhaul is that all the aspects are working towards a common goal and it allows things to be done that would not be possible in mini mods eg interaction of custom mechanics with each other or multiple mechanics removing a entries from a common table.

eg a build, edict, trait overhaul can all be interconnected and achieve that which is not possible with just a trait overhaul.
    Last edited by Magnar; November 08, 2015 at 04:27 AM.

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Realize mate, when Warhammer is release in couple month, most user will be migrate like cow herd trust me
    Last edited by Junaidi83 de Bodemloze; November 11, 2015 at 04:35 AM.
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast