Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Old feedback thread (Closed)

Default Re: [Feedback] Impressions, Critiques and Requests for 1.1

Just something I noticed, the combat seems extremely different. compared to last version. I'm not sure if this was intended (given that I only tried 1 experimental battle), but when my elite Sicilian hoplites charged downhill against a Legionarii that were slightly weakened by crossbows, my hoplites completely demolished the Legionarii with nearly no losses. Of course I understand that the hoplites had an advantage of fighting downhill and the Legionarii were weakened by crossbow (lost ~5 men), but doesn't this seem like too overwhelming of a victory for the hoplites?

Quote Originally Posted by falxguy View Post
    Hey Dresden, more of a question really. I am playing the Hannibal at the Gates Campaign with Rome (running DeI 1.1 with 4TPY, no PO garrison, reduced upkeep, and sack/liberate submods) and I am starting with an income of -1111. Is this supposed to happen? I can't tell if something is wrong or if the starting income is supposed to be negative. Thanks!
    I answered this in the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Actually, you may need to disband some of Rome's starting units in HatG. Although I thought I had fixed that earlier in terms of their starting income.
    We gave the ai an additional 1k boost for it. But it wasn't needed because the player is immediately back in the positive after trading with the four factions they don't start trading with and are able to immediately.

Also it was acknowledged most people would disband the bulk of the starting units.

It was at -2500 or so before, so we did make several of the main chain capitals be level II instead of level I. That might be what you're remembering fixing.

Decided to do a roman playthrough after the update and I noticed the unit cost and recruitment seem unreasonably high for anything better than the Rorarii. As of right now I don't see much of a reason to keep better units as Rorarii make up for their mehness with a 300 unit count vs the more common 200 with other more expensive units. Not to mention their cost allows me to keep enough armies to remain flexible and protect borders from potential invaders. As of right now I control Gual, Hispania, and Italia but my actual income isn't high enough to protect all my borders without avoiding better units. I tried a campaign earlier with the idea of using less better equipped units but was unable to protect myself from more than one threat at a time with multiple nations happy to take border provinces while I defended another side of my territory. The ability to maintain enough armies to defend yourself becomes impossible after becoming large enough without sacrificing unit quality in return.

Frankly it sucks looking at a bunch of awesome units that I can't afford and have no practical reason to use.

Unit cost for Rome's better units are frankly aweful. To actually field them you forfeit your ability to protect borders as you can't raise enough armies to protect more than one front at a time which becomes more and more apparent as you get larger. I'd like to use something other than Rorarii in my campaign but as it stands they are the only units that allow me to field the troops to protect myself and not go bankrupt.

Sorry for the double post I thought I lost my progress after the first post but it seems that the thread just didn't update on my end hence the second post. Seem I can't edit or delete my own post either go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by jbowon View Post
    Decided to do a roman playthrough after the update and I noticed the unit cost and recruitment seem unreasonably high for anything better than the Rorarii. As of right now I don't see much of a reason to keep better units as Rorarii make up for their mehness with a 300 unit count vs the more common 200 with other more expensive units. Not to mention their cost allows me to keep enough armies to remain flexible and protect borders from potential invaders. As of right now I control Gual, Hispania, and Italia but my actual income isn't high enough to protect all my borders without avoiding better units. I tried a campaign earlier with the idea of using less better equipped units but was unable to protect myself from more than one threat at a time with multiple nations happy to take border provinces while I defended another side of my territory. The ability to maintain enough armies to defend yourself becomes impossible after becoming large enough without sacrificing unit quality in return.

Frankly it sucks looking at a bunch of awesome units that I can't afford and have no practical reason to use.

you may want to see some of the player guides provided in the forum. other than that, instead of fielding armies (recruiting) that drains your treasury, build your economy and treasury and rely on mercenary units and garrisons to defend against invasions-- typically this is affordable and you can disband them without remorse after they've fulfilled their purpose. Just because you're rome doesn't mean you need to field scores of legions... yet
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by King Kong
    Hey moonflower, just wanted to say that your descriptions are indeed the best, so I will use all of them, of course. Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Moonflower View Post
    you may want to see some of the player guides provided in the forum. other than that, instead of fielding armies (recruiting) that drains your treasury, build your economy and treasury and rely on mercenary units and garrisons to defend against invasions-- typically this is affordable and you can disband them without remorse after they've fulfilled their purpose. Just because you're rome doesn't mean you need to field scores of legions... yet
    I'm aware of the guide recommending mercenary recruitment. If you read my post carefully you would see that I did not complain that the game was hard but that most units were useless due to cost. Why do they exist if they are not feasible to use?

Quote Originally Posted by jbowon View Post

Try to secure your border through diplomacy and client state rather than pure crude forces . Normally you only keep 1-2 standing armies , and those armies don't have to be a full 20-slot army , you basically can't afford that much . Army consists of 40-50 % elite , 30 % levy and the rest are merc with merc+ levy only mustered when war starts.
    Currently running a Antigonidai campaign, I only use 1 standing army of 16 slots , 2 local generals with whole thracia, half Macedonia and 1/3 Illyria (not really big). Client state-ed Ardiaei , Athen , millitarry allied with Sparta and Getae , NAP with Scordisii + Pergamon and only war with Crimea

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by RomanSparta View Post
    Just something I noticed, the combat seems extremely different. compared to last version. I'm not sure if this was intended (given that I only tried 1 experimental battle), but when my elite Sicilian hoplites charged downhill against a Legionarii that were slightly weakened by crossbows, my hoplites completely demolished the Legionarii with nearly no losses. Of course I understand that the hoplites had an advantage of fighting downhill and the Legionarii were weakened by crossbow (lost ~5 men), but doesn't this seem like too overwhelming of a victory for the hoplites?
    Hmm during testing I remember that even Spartan Homoioi had problems with legionares, but I think that is mostly due to a bit too high charge value that hoplites now have. I will look into it
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by tivihong View Post
    Try to secure your border through diplomacy and client state rather than pure crude forces . Normally you only keep 1-2 standing armies , and those armies don't have to be a full 20-slot army , you basically can't afford that much . Army consists of 40-50 % elite , 30 % levy and the rest are merc with merc+ levy only mustered when war starts.
    Currently running a Antigonidai campaign, I only use 1 standing army of 16 slots , 2 local generals with whole thracia, half Macedonia and 1/3 Illyria (not really big). Client state-ed Ardiaei , Athen , millitarry allied with Sparta and Getae , NAP with Scordisii + Pergamon and only war with Crimea
    Germany and Gaul always seem to hate me while forming up into ahistorical blobs of hyperaggressive nope. By the time I can consolidate power and push north a regional power that hates me has already formed. Ironically enough Carthage is always very nice and loving when I play Rome and makes a good trade and alliance partner until I inevitably encircle and betray them.

Antioco III's Avatar Libertus

First of all, thank you for the amazing work guys. You are bringing rome 2 to a whole new level But you know that. I want to mantion something abou the seleucid campaign that has always bothered me, even in previous version of DEI. The fact is, you are actually making us play as seleucids in their political situation a century and a half after the start date of the mod. Those many client states in the east are ludacris. Even bactria was still seleucid at the time, but i can understand at least that one is an indipendent nation for gameplay purposes. You spent so much effort in trying to make seleucids (as other major factions, as you said) last longer, when you could have done it just by report them as they actually were in 275 BC. Parsa, Parthava, Hairava and Drangiana SHOULD NOT even exist, at least at game start. Those were seleucid territories in all senses. Even the capital of Media, Ecbatana, that right now is part of Atropatene (making it a regional power, which was not!) was a seleucid royal capital! Even Parthia by that time was Seleucid. I and dont mean it was a client state. Like i dont mean Bactria was a client state. They both was seleucid satrapies (in the historical sense, non in the messed up game sense, where satrapies mean client states). They were seleucid territory, administred by seleucid governors. As i said, i can understand that Bactria and Parthia are not part of the seleucid empire for gameplay purposes, so i can accept this unhistorical fact, if u decide not to make them client states. But please, consider the idea of getting rid of those other eastern satrapies that has absolutely no reason to be there. Ive done lots of campaigns with DEI and i its always like this: someday, u will have to fight you easter satrapies that simply decide not to follow u in war, creating an eastern campaign that is simply absurd. You want to simulate the (and i still have issues here, but i'll shut up) difficulty in keeping the eastern region? Damn, add some public order malus, add higher cultural differences... U dont have to create so many unhistorical factions in places that by the time were under DIRECT seleucid rule. I have just started my first campaign with 1.1 as seleucids so i cant report their behaviour if they were AI controlled, but you said you boosted them. I dont want to repeat myself, but couldnt you "boost" em by giving them an historical situation? ive always read Divide et Impera want to be as historical accurate as possible so... let me know what you think about it. I have a lot (a lot) of minor issues about the whole eastern situation (factions behaviour, units, regions) in the game, from asia minor to taxila, but lot of em are CA responsability and anyway they dont ruin the whole gameplay experience. But the seleucids situation, at least for me, does

I find exhausted units hard to kill even with fresh units. Is this intentional? It's like their defense stats aren't being lowered...

I also saw a loading screen tip that says that fatigue gives you morale penalties but this doesn't seem to be the case.

Praise to the noble people who made this great mod possible:

Last night I started DEI 1.1 out of pure curiosity, knowing that my computer is not able to produce more than average 20 fps even in low and medium detail levels and small units.
    I do not know what you guys did. I don not how it might work: I receive a stable average 45 fps now in medium and high detail levels and bigger units!
    Thank you so much for that!

Patrician

Exhausted units are being killed by fresh units at rather fast pace. Exhausted units have their defence lowered to 0.5 of base value and their attack reduced to 0.6 of base value. AI can't manage exhausted units so penalties that are higher make battles easier. Also on anything above normal AI units recieve stats bonuses so they are harder to kill.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Exhausted units are being killed by fresh units at rather fast pace.
    You're right. It's just that AI gangs 5 units on one place so it takes awhile...

Patrician

So make use of tactics and give them some space, rear/flank charge, shower with missiles, there is plenty of options The worst you can do is to just send all units into melee and wait.

Foederatus

can we get an Updated Resource Map? I went to conquer Persia and I noticed Gor no longer had the trained slaves node like its always had.

How big of a role is Rome supposed to play in the Macedonians Wars campaign? So far they seem somewhat under powered since they don't have a steady income or military training center. Or does Rome get scripted reinforcements later in the campaign? Playing as Macedon it feels as if the Aitolian league is a far bigger threat than Rome.

Biarchus

Definitely the most interesting and immersive campaign I have ever played in a Total War game. DEI Team has outdone itself.

You really have to pay attention to every detail on the campaign map.

For the first time in a Total War game I actually have to formulate a grander strategy.

I can't wait till my head to head partner is finished with his current semester at school so we can jump back into a wonderful mp campaign.

Love the mod, Thank you so much DEI.

I was wondering if it was possible to make rebels regional instead of factional?