Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Creative Assembly Business Practice Discussion Thread (Warhammer I & II)

Incontinenta Buttox's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default Re: CA business practice discussion thread

They say you can place a frog in a pot of water, place the pot over a flame and the frog will not detect the temperature rising, because the process is gradual, so he'll sit there and happily cook to death.

DLC is the flame, gamers are the frogs and some are happily sitting in the Total War pot.

It began with a few factions, most frogs didn't care, it went on with blood effects and still the frogs sat motionless, oblivious to the implications, then they started witholding content that was already in the game and charging players to unlock it... and still the silly frogs sat there with stupid grins on their faces...

Not all the frogs were silly, some frogs objected and said 'hold on a minute, what's all this? you never used to charge us extra for all this? for £30 we used to get the complete game and a printed manual and a disk all in a nice box.'

But the frogs in the pot ignored the concerns of others, they started to enjoy the warm water they were sitting in. In fact they turned on the concerned frogs and screamed at them to shut up about the flames!

Then the map was divided into 3, an 'Inception' style DLC policy was introduced, DLC's for the DLC, the games began to resemble a jigsaw puzzle, every piece had a price tag
    and as the steam began to rise the frogs in the pot sat silent, happily being boiled alive.
    Last edited by Påsan; April 12, 2016 at 04:50 PM.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinenta Buttox View Post
    They say you can place a frog in a pot of water, place the pot over a flame and the frog will not detect the temperature rising, because the process is gradual, so he'll sit there and happily cook to death.

DLC is the flame, gamers are the frogs and some are happily sitting in the Total War pot.

It began with a few factions, most frogs didn't care, it went on with blood effects and still the frogs sat motionless, oblivious to the implications, then they started witholding content that was already in the game and charging players to unlock it... and still the silly frogs sat there with stupid grins on their stupid faces...

Not all the frogs were silly, some frogs objected and said 'hold on a minute, what's all this? you never used to charge us extra for all this? for £30 we used to get the complete game and a printed manual and a disk all in a nice box.'

But the frogs in the pot ignored the concerns of others, they started to enjoy the warm water they were sitting in. In fact they turned on the concerned frogs and screamed at them to shut up about the flames!

Then the map was divided into 3, an 'Inception' style DLC policy was introduced, DLC's for the DLC, the games began to resemble a jigsaw puzzle, every piece had a price tag
    and as the steam began to rise the frogs in the pot sat silent, happily being boiled alive.

Don't cut yourself on that edge

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Incontinenta Buttox View Post

It began with a few factions, most frogs didn't care, it went on with blood effects and still the frogs sat motionless, oblivious to the implications, then they started witholding content that was already in the game and charging players to unlock it... and still the silly frogs sat there with stupid grins on their faces...

Clever and dumb at the same time. Not bad.
    Last edited by Påsan; April 12, 2016 at 05:17 PM.

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

what if the frogs were made of awesome!

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

This guy was over at the steam forums telling us how he knows the budget concerns and actual price points appropriate for games. Probably sees the financial statements even, I'd wager. He's a real expert, a demonstration of the thought and investigation one can give a product of entertainment in the modern world.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14934465
    this post made me think about something
    if CA would pull the chaos DLC [read cut content IMO] back into the main game and you would get early access if you pre ordered would you prefer it over the current pre order DLC policy and pre order it?
    I know I would
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...1#post14934465
    this post made me think about something
    if CA would pull the chaos DLC [read cut content IMO] back into the main game and you would get early access if you pre ordered would you prefer it over the current pre order DLC policy and pre order it?
    I know I would
    If they did something similar for the next game from the very start, and keeping the refund option in mind, could be.

Now, nop. I'm not fond of possible "we take it out to later give it back and make it look like we care and listen to the community" strategies. And I don't mind looking like a conspiracy theorist there.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; April 14, 2016 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HigoChumbo View Post
    If they did something similar for the next game from the very start, and keeping the refund option in mind, could be.

Now, nop. I'm not fond of possible "we take it out to later give it back and make it look like we care and listen to the community" strategies. And I don't mind looking like a conspiracy theorist there.
    If you were CA, how would you Fix the Chaos DLC Debacle? I would put Chaos back in base game and grant early access to Pre-orders and blame all the BS on Sega or GW. May lack accountability/responsibility but it may very well be true. It may not erase the damage but it would control it.

What is everybody's opinion on CA's options on "fixing" this?

Quote Originally Posted by Campaigner View Post
    If you were CA, how would you Fix the Chaos DLC Debacle? I would put Chaos back in base game and grant early access to Pre-orders and blame all the BS on Sega or GW. May lack accountability/responsibility but it may very well be true. It may not erase the damage but it would control it.

What is everybody's opinion on CA's options on "fixing" this?
    Yes blame it on their parent company who gives them their funding and the company lending CA their IP. Super smart

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Well, GW even tried to sue MTW2 mods, plus loads of other stuff, so they aren't exactly pristine company when it comes to their practices ;P
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P. Bacon View Post
    Yes blame it on their parent company who gives them their funding and the company lending CA their IP. Super smart

Would Sega Care? I think they only care about the numbers. If taking the blame resulted in greater profit they would do it. The deal with GW is already set in stone. If CA throws them under the bus I doubt GW would have any recourse. Why would they even attempt anything? CA Will Be Printing them money for a while now. From what I understand they already through GW under the bus regarding the Mods why stop there? Credit where Credit is due. If no ulterior force is responsible blame it on the incompetent Project Director that made the call. Or just take responsibility as a whole and go from there. The purpose of the post was damage control how can they do it?

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

They stop there? Why not also eat babies? or Kittens?

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Well, GW even tried to sue MTW2 mods, plus loads of other stuff, so they aren't exactly pristine company when it comes to their practices ;P
    When did they do this? I know the Westeros mod was taken down, but Call of Warhammer seems to be going strong on here. I'm still surprised GW did nothing about it, especially after the Westeros one was taken down.

As for others debating whether to blame CA or not for actions you do not like them taking is a moot point really. CA is wholly owned by SEGA and wondering/caring whether or not they are at fault for decisions made is a bit like feeling sorry for the clerk at a fast food restaurant because the manager is a jerk. Still giving the place money isn't going to change the situation and the jerk manager won't care as long as you're giving him money.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    As for others debating whether to blame CA or not for actions you do not like them taking is a moot point really. CA is wholly owned by SEGA and wondering/caring whether or not they are at fault for decisions made is a bit like feeling sorry for the clerk at a fast food restaurant because the manager is a jerk. Still giving the place money isn't going to change the situation and the jerk manager won't care as long as you're giving him money.
    I think Sega are unfairly maligned and have been instrumental in maintaining the platform of PC gaming. From what I've read they seem to have a pretty hands-off approach compared to the more omnipresent EA and Ubisoft, and don't at least force the worst examples of DRM like *shudder* Uplay on their games. Not wishing to damn them with faint praise but I much prefer them to EA, Ubi, Activision or Blizzard, for example. I wouldn't trust the DoW IP with any of the latter, either.

Most issues people have with CA I think can be reasonably laid at CA's door. When CA was with Activision we saw the exact same problems as with Sega- not enough time in development, deficient (or non-existent) battle AI etc. To use your analogy of a fast food restaurant I tend to see it as a hands-off manager that trusts in his employees only to find they have been altering clocking cards, inflating sales numbers and serving food that looks nothing like it does on the back-lit menus.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Default Total War: Warhammer Pre-Order & DLC Angry Rant!

Explanation for those DLCs???
    Last edited by Påsan; April 18, 2016 at 02:35 AM.
    ''When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace''.Jimi Hendrix

Default Re: Total War: Warhammer Pre-Order & DLC Angry Rant!

I did not like this at first but this blog perfectly explains it and im on board with it (I pre-ordered)
    https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...orders-and-dlc

You're right we need more DLCs

Trust me I would rather the entire game come out all in one for a cheaper price but if it means a much more expansive and fleshed out game then i'm fine with it.

That sarcasm was either really badly executed or non-existent.

joedreck's Avatar Artifex

If you create mods, so you understand DLC a little bit. Surely not that DLC which are ready at release. DLC is nice to add stuff there was no time for it. Im modding, so I know how it is. You do Main things and never have enough time to add all ideas. After Release you want also add the other things, so create Updates. For a mods this works, but CA have to pay for team, tax, offices aso.

So DLC is nice to add things, but not things are already finshed at realease and just hold back to Let pay us after Release again. CA already did it, so no question about ...
    Edictum mod adds new edicts to Rome II. http://www.twcenter.net / YouTube: Edictum Mod / Click here for Edictum Mod on steam
    Vote Brain Slug for president.

Habelo's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Regarding DLC, do not forget that the bigger audience now adays are kids. How the hell do you think they will know anything about principals? Why complain? Why buy? I like wood elfs cause they look like Robin Hood.