Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Creative Assembly Business Practice Discussion Thread (Warhammer I & II)

Default Re: How are people enjoying Total War: WARHAMMER?

Not letting us create Lord of the Rings and Witcher mods is big turn off for me. They literally deleted my witcher mod thread

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Quote Originally Posted by Athos187 View Post
    Not letting us create Lord of the Rings and Witcher mods is big turn off for me. They literally deleted my witcher mod thread
    It was kinda obvious third party IP related mods wouldn't be allowed though. We barely got modding in the first place, in the EULA for Warhammer it says you're not allowed third party stuff and Warhammer is renowned for being overly protective of their IP (Spots the Space Marine).

Are you going to try making your Witcher mod for a different Total War, eg Attila or something?

Is this the attitude of the new generation? This entitlement to do whatever you want with whatever you want???
    Be grateful that game publishers/ creators allow mods in the first place. There is a mutual benefit, but some people should learn to be grateful for what they can do, not whine about what they can't do.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

I find something odd in the poll. Something that SHOULD allarm CA/SEGA.
    The majority of the voters haven't play it yet.
    Also I keep looking the TW games sectors visiting numbers.
    Medieval 2 TW/Kingodms
    Rome I
    sectors contiune to have the biggest vissing numbers.
    Few possible conclusions could be made.
    TWC members belong to the hardcore of TW gamers and that is why they prefer "historical" titles.
    The majority of TWC members might did not like how TW games transformed in the last titles. TWC members know well that a game -no matter how good it may be- soon enough gets borring and only Mods make it interesting in time again and again.So the lack of full modding tools in the last titles made TW hardcore players to turn their back on them.
    Another reason could be the lack of good recent PC engines for many people that do not allow players to "load" recent titles , espesialy Warhammer. CA/SEGA prommised to repeat the textures weight mannagement of Shogun II but it forgot that prommise.
    I hope CA/SEGA will hear the hardcore players that are the basis of their income in almost every new title release and LEARN.
    Personally I can not judge Warhammer because i haven't played it. I only judge games that i have tested. But from my prospective, numbers TALK.
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    I find something odd in the poll. Something that SHOULD allarm CA/SEGA.
    The majority of the voters haven't play it yet.
    Also I keep looking the TW games sectors visiting numbers.
    Medieval 2 TW/Kingodms
    Rome I
    sectors contiune to have the biggest vissing numbers.
    Few possible conclusions could be made.
    TWC members belong to the hardcore of TW gamers and that is why they prefer "historical" titles.
    The majority of TWC members might did not like how TW games transformed in the last titles. TWC members know well that a game -no matter how good it may be- soon enough gets borring and only Mods make it interesting in time again and again.So the lack of full modding tools in the last titles made TW hardcore players to turn their back on them.
    Another reason could be the lack of good recent PC engines for many people that do not allow players to "load" recent titles , espesialy Warhammer. CA/SEGA prommised to repeat the textures weight mannagement of Shogun II but it forgot that prommise.
    I hope CA/SEGA will hear the hardcore players that are the basis of their income in almost every new title release and LEARN.
    Personally I can not judge Warhammer because i haven't played it. I only judge games that i have tested. But from my prospective, numbers TALK.
    I'd say these numbers are skewed as TWCenter has a low reputation on Reddit for being a circle jerk of hate for TW Warhammer, and thus fans of Warhammer don't congregate here. For the 2016 Mod Awards during the nomination phase only 2 players nominated mods for Warhammer (myself and Radious). I don't know why more TWCenter people don't own Warhammer, perhaps due to the lack of modding or because it's not historical.

Nevertheless, in the broad scheme of things I've got no doubt Warhammer is the best selling Total War, it caters to Fantasy fans and to newcomers (not that I like Warhammer).

I'd say TWC is much more popular for older titles because there's an established community, and TWC is much more modding orientated than Reddit.

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Quote Originally Posted by Caligula the Mad View Post
    I'd say these numbers are skewed as TWCenter has a low reputation on Reddit for being a circle jerk of hate for TW Warhammer, and thus fans of Warhammer don't congregate here. For the 2016 Mod Awards during the nomination phase only 2 players nominated mods for Warhammer (myself and Radious). I don't know why more TWCenter people don't own Warhammer, perhaps due to the lack of modding or because it's not historical.

Nevertheless, in the broad scheme of things I've got no doubt Warhammer is the best selling Total War, it caters to Fantasy fans and to newcomers (not that I like Warhammer).

I'd say TWC is much more popular for older titles because there's an established community, and TWC is much more modding orientated than Reddit.
    I wont disagree. Lets supose that Warhhamer funs finally got in to their hands a TW style game for their beloved storyline and game style.
    Question.
    Is CA/SEGA ready to ignore TW historical titles funs that financial suport the company for many years inorder to win another audience?
    In the link you provide the "modding" issue comes to life.
    Despite the STEAM feature , there are NO actuall averhaul mods since ETW. So the old and stable TW hardcore population sticked in to old games that could still enjoy.
    It would be interesting if CA/SEGA would "dare" to continue in to fantasy titles (that need copyrights) risking to lose a great deal of its suporters that bought almost all its games from Shogun I to Attila.
    It would be interesting indeed ...
    TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

CA/Sega had repeatedly stated that they are continuing to develop historical titles.
    I believe the number of unique buyers was about 50%. This indicates a strong market for both types of titles.

In defense of my earlier comment, I dont feel entitled to make 3rd party IP mods. Its simply the fact that I'm not allowed to and the lack of consistency in the Warhammer universe itself (empire is 15th century and bretonnia are 13th century, no one in there right mind would prefer archers over gun powder units) that makes me more likely to play Attila.

Other than that its actually a fun Total war game.

Nothing compares to the awesome mods this site has, however, if CA continues to not allow us to properly mod the games then this site will eventually become irrelevant.

Regardless, Attila has another 3 or 4 good years in her.

The Total War subreddit have done two polls, at the moment of writing this there's 1000 less votes in the first poll than the second.

Poll 1 - Which was the first TW game that got you hooked?
    The biggest amount is 35% (746 voters) saying Rome 1.
    Only 9.6% (206 voters) say Warhammer is the game that got them hooked/the first game they played.

Poll 2 - What is your favourite TW game?
    In contrast, this poll has Warhammer as the most popular game with 48% (1656 voters)
    Rome 1 has 7% (256 voters), whilst Medieval 2 has 15% (533 voters).
    For me, it was Shogun. Years later, I discovered an bought Medieval War. Unfortunately, my old computer could not play the game. A few months later, i bought a new laptop and I finally played. I misplaced the disks and I had switched laptop. SEga told me without the key, they couldn't help me. I went to re-buy the game and only found ETW and NTW. Chose ETW for the scope. (I didn't even know about any other game, including Shogun II, until I came to this forum).
    I like ETW for the time period. The only disappointment is the BAI has not improved since Shogun. It blew away the previous game that was similar to it at the time. Since then, it needed to be tweaked.

Perhaps TWCenter needs a facelift and to catch up to the modern times and what people are demanding? Even though I've nearly got 700 posts here there is quite a lot of confusing stuff and it's not entirely user friendly. We'd need a task force of newbies, OG people, Hex Council, Curia members and stuff like that to do it.
    I have been saying this for over two years now.
    For now, I made big changes in the sites wiki (ETW wiki)to help organized things. I have plans for other improvement as well.

Ygraine's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Is this the attitude of the new generation? This entitlement to do whatever you want with whatever you want???
    Be grateful that game publishers/ creators allow mods in the first place. There is a mutual benefit, but some people should learn to be grateful for what they can do, not whine about what they can't do.
    I think it's a safe bet to say at this point that modding actually made the Creative Assembly more money in the long run. If they changed their DLC strategy from simple "generic" culture packs (where modders can make a better job) to new and/or expanded features (like more new campaign maps) then modding wouldn't be seen as a "potential problem" for DLC revenue.

Besides there's nothing wrong in having some "entitlement" on what you spend your money on. One could turn your argument around against CA or any other developer/publisher too and how they feel "entitled" when making decisions towards their customers and fans. Besides feedback will (hopefully) increase the chance of CA catering to what the fanbase wants in their next product.

In any case, I hope that both Warhammer and Rome 2/Attila gets new DLC content which preferably consists mainly of new or expanded features/new maps and the like, instead of the afromentioned "culture packs". It would be a win/win.
    (2nd position - Gameplay Mods-category - 2016 Modding Awards.)

Haven't played it and am not going to.

As other people have pointed out, the departure from historical settings to fantasy was kind of a stab in the back to all the people who have supported the franchise since the beginning. However, diversifying the franchise might have made economic sense and in the end, that is what matters to a company.

That being said, my biggest gripe with CA is their game engine. If the next historical title doesn't deliver a new engine with proper multi-core support, I'm done with TW games.

I can say with almost certainty that the title will definitely have TW3 Engine with Warscape graphic engine. The difference will be 64- bits (Like Warhammer) instead of 32- bits (like Attila).
    My understanding is that CA barely used the extended 64 bits. My impression is that CA will stretch the capacity more with the next historical title. To be a little on topic. Warhammer has been praised for having much better visuals, especially the battle sequence. If CA would expand on that, then the next historical title could be much better. Moreover, Attila, despite using the older 32 bit was still praised. The moddability, the chief source of complaint, will probably be similar. In a nutshell, despite the lack of popularity here, the game has been praised by those who do enjoy fantasy. It isn't the content that they are praising, but much of things that previous titles were criticize for. I think if CA does not "rush" through things (e.g. Empire, Rome II) and take their time to produce quality work (Napoleon, Attila, and Warhammer) then I think you will be happy with the end results.

Default Re: Creative Assembly Business Practice Discussion Thread (Warhammer)

Err current pricing on steam raises a few eyebrows. Does it not?

About normal; on he high end when it is first release, but the sale prices are generally pretty good. It doesn't take long for prices to be on sale for 66- 75% off.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    About normal; on he high end when it is first release, but the sale prices are generally pretty good. It doesn't take long for prices to be on sale for 66- 75% off.
    Well for me to price it as this the new content is going to have to be a significant improvement.

But yeah think I had the usual shock of seeing Steam prices...

Default Re: Creative Assembly Business Practice Discussion Thread (Warhammer I & II)

I don't think they are charging too much. Compared it to a movie theater, you pay $5-$10 to watch a 2 hour movie. Now the game + DLC is around $135, How many hours of entertainment do you get? 100? 200? 500? do the math. playing for 100 hours should be at least $250. I don't know about you but I feel these games are underpriced. A very good deal. Granted they are making far more money than the game actually cost, but so do movies. CA could easily be charging more, cutting more for 'DLC whoring' and making way more money if they wanted to. WHY? Because the game is GOOD! And you would still buy it. It's funny to me seeing people who bought the game and the DLCs yet still complain about overcharging. If you really thought they were charging too much you wouldn't buy it.
    The way I see it, games are in the place movies were at in the 80s, easy to make because the quality is not held to a high standard. But give it a few more years, gaming is becoming more popular and more competitive, prices will go down and quality up.
    Specifically on DLC, I like DLC. If someone buys the game and doesn't like it, they won't buy the DLC and probably no other games in the series. If CA put it all in one package and charged $135 then you're screwed.

Default Re: Creative Assembly Business Practice Discussion Thread (Warhammer I & II)

The 80's used cutting edge technology at the time to produce the special effects you see. It took a great deal more time and effort to produce them as well. This is way before CGI technology.
    The value of the game is equal to the value that people are willing to pay for the game. Also movie theaters do not make money on tickets, they make money on concessions.

...making good money, but not good games.

After about a decade, I'm still playing m2tw.

They need to hone in on the ideal campaign/battle mode designs and then crank out theme parks.
    DLC is unnecessary and what the heck does it even mean? Downloadable content? Isn't that everything? That's a gimmick as a business model.
    Modders can spend the time on naked cavalry. And if the community is divided on design decisions like agents having skill trees, make sure that modders can cut that nonsense out and replace it with an objectively better game design.
    They just need to keep fine-tuning, balancing, and modding.

As it stands, campaign mode is garbage and battle mode is passable.

There is no reason for me to pay any money on a game i won't play.

Edited:
    Do you have any idea how much variation there is?
    There are so many places with so many time periods of so many scopes, all the while pursuing the ideal simulation of kingdom management and battles.
    There is so much work to do.
    1) Pursue the ideal simulation of kingdom management and battles through each iteration.
    2) If you do not design the game to have sliders for different preferences, then leave it to the modding community. Make sure it's possible to mod these designs.
    3) Keep cranking out what is effectively your own mods and sell it. People who have their own preferences mod the game to their liking and thus profit. You sell the game and thus profit.
    4) Keep cranking it out like an ice cream company that improves the ingredients and increases the variation of flavours while letting people take the ice cream home to add sprinkles or turn it into a float.
    Last edited by Faith; November 21, 2017 at 04:01 PM.

So modders have worked out that its possible to make 3D models, test them in Total War Attila, and then do some binary/HEX editing, and import them into Total War Warhammer.
    Do ya reckon CA or Games Workshop will crack down on it and start banning/removing Steam Workshop mods? There are a few Lord of the Rings maps such as Minas Tirith and Helms Deep on the Warhammer 1 Steam Workshop that they never got around to removing.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213