Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Creative Assembly Business Practice Discussion Thread (Warhammer I & II)

Default Re: CA business practice discussion thread

Honestly?I start to think that they are publishing unfinished and buggy games on purpose for a fast profit thinking "why the hell we should release the full game when we can split it in overpriced "dlc"(see:core's ingame parts like in Rome II) and wait for the free modders's works for get it better?".
    I know that a game company must survive with marketing but this policy it's really too much:they are tearing apart the whole fandom in this way.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg93 View Post
    Honestly?I start to think that they are publishing unfinished and buggy games on purpose for a fast profit thinking "why the hell we should release the full game when we can split it in overpriced "dlc"(see:core's ingame parts like in Rome II) and wait for the free modders's works for get it better?".
    I know that a game company must survive with marketing but this policy it's really too much:they are tearing apart the whole fandom in this way.
    I've heard they said something like they are going to fix the campaign map modding, so real overhauls like LoTR will be doable.

this might help too: https://www.change.org/p/total-war-a...ign-map-editor

they are doing a great job. Here are some machinimas: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Video-Content
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    I've heard they said something like they are going to fix the campaign map modding, so real overhauls like LoTR will be doable.

this might help too: https://www.change.org/p/total-war-a...ign-map-editor

they are doing a great job. Here are some machinimas: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Video-Content
    hello alqamar can you give a source for what you said in your first sentence? if possible
    BTW first post upon the TWH forum
    greetings atthias
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    hello alqamar can you give a source for what you said in your first sentence? if possible
    BTW first post upon the TWH forum
    greetings atthias
    yes maybe this is my first post on Warhammer. I am personally not interested into this universe, which may explains my absence

here is the source (THFE productions / Oakley) that requotes CA, in this regard a blog post of Darren TW, who joined CA some time ago, as most of you should know.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by alQamar View Post
    yes maybe this is my first post on Warhammer. I am personally not interested into this universe, which may explains my absence

here is the source (THFE productions / Oakley) that requotes CA, in this regard a blog post of Darren TW, who joined CA some time ago, as most of you should know.
    thanks but I meant it was MY first post
    same for me I don't like warhammer at all despite being a huge LOTR fan
    greetings atthias
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

ostendadler's Avatar Miles

Let's face it guys we are part of that 0.01% of Total War customers who could be considered hardcore fans. In the late 90's or early 2000 gaming was still a thing for geeks, nerds and weirdo's. Now its become mainstream and with mainstream comes the masses of casual gamers. Most of which perhaps heard of Warhammer or simply buy strategy games.

As much as I like to think the devs to be passionate people like us they are simply employees who follow directives. They have to produce quick, cheap and sell it nicely. All of us raised our arms in the sky when Rome II came out ( I bought 1 year after release to save myself the frustration.) but despite that its their best seller. This is how business is done nowadays. Profits first.

I've seen more and more crowdfunding projects in the gaming industry and I believe this is the kind of studio who will deliver awesome games like we love. Sadly probably not on the licenses we love (let's face the warhammer license must cost beaucoup money and that's why 3 games are being dev-ed). Think of it as the Hobbit movie. Did we need 3? Hell no but they sure made a fu ck load of money on them.

Video games is big business now. Let's face it we're just hopeless romantics and dreamers.

Down the line once the fashion of that game will wear off, mods will step in and all of us hardcore fans will just pogo in happyness in that tailor made content.

my 2cent. Love the community and long live twc
    "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

"If only all of Rome had just one neck."

"Everytime you pre-order a game, god kills a kitten"

Quote Originally Posted by ostendadler View Post
    Let's face it guys we are part of that 0.01% of Total War customers who could be considered hardcore fans. In the late 90's or early 2000 gaming was still a thing for geeks, nerds and weirdo's. Now its become mainstream and with mainstream comes the masses of casual gamers. Most of which perhaps heard of Warhammer or simply buy strategy games.

As much as I like to think the devs to be passionate people like us they are simply employees who follow directives. They have to produce quick, cheap and sell it nicely. All of us raised our arms in the sky when Rome II came out ( I bought 1 year after release to save myself the frustration.) but despite that its their best seller. This is how business is done nowadays. Profits first.

I've seen more and more crowdfunding projects in the gaming industry and I believe this is the kind of studio who will deliver awesome games like we love. Sadly probably not on the licenses we love (let's face the warhammer license must cost beaucoup money and that's why 3 games are being dev-ed). Think of it as the Hobbit movie. Did we need 3? Hell no but they sure made a fu ck load of money on them.

Video games is big business now. Let's face it we're just hopeless romantics and dreamers.

Down the line once the fashion of that game will wear off, mods will step in and all of us hardcore fans will just pogo in happyness in that tailor made content.

my 2cent. Love the community and long live twc
    Good post.

I don't get any of the rage some people seem to show at the idea of TW "going casual" but the idea that the extra money allows for worse business practices does annoy me. What's even more annoying is that they probably work on the many people who just don't give a second thought if the trailer looked 'awesome'. It's kind of the same frustration movie fans must feel at seeing a Michael Bay movie make a fortune.

On the bright side, not being obsessed with the latest flashiest game means I have learned of plenty of strategy games that I think are better than recent TW games since and are far cheaper.

Default CA business practice discussion thread

I was just wondering if I should avoid the official forums completely? I made a thread about the Dwarf Karaks and it got thrown out for being "aggressive and combative"

Slaxx Hatmen's Avatar This isn't the crisis!

Default Re: Are the CA forums known for closing threads criticizing the game?

Yup. This goes all the way back to the first few weeks after Rome Total War's release, when people complaining about the multiplayer not working and the crappy AI(My how things have changed...oh wait) got shut down by the mods. This is the first I've heard of them doing that prior to the release of the game in question though.

Why do you think TWC is the de-facto capital of the TW community? I've never even held an account over at the official forums.
    Under the patronage of Basileos Leandros I

Default Re: Are the CA forums known for closing threads criticizing the game?

There was already threads about it so you shouldn't be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaxx Hatmen View Post

Why do you think TWC is the de-facto capital of the TW community?
    A comparatively empty one, it seems.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

So, I've done my last haza on the official forms. As far as this customer is concerned it's a dead company and franchise. My preorder has been refunded and as far as promoting this game, all that I will promote is the disgusting practices of how the fanbase is treated. I never even knew...how bad this was...I mean, I saw the DLC and read about that but after my experience, and the disgusting attitude I was given by moderators...I'm speechless. Why are people giving them the satisfaction of buying this game when they literally have proven they are in it for a single purpose...I've played since Rome 1 and I'm angry at myself that I supported these people, this company...

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Why would some moderators influence your decision at all, they might or might not be asshats, but they are still just volunteers who dont work for the company.

The Moderators develop the game and are on the payroll of the company, apparently.

Get that cheque cashed, Pasan!
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Just had a look at their forums. My god it's like a fascist state. Essentially a place to pat themselves on the back consistently.

The way to get around this business practice is have patience. I haven't bought a TW at release since Empire, starting at Rome 1. I waited to see what empire was like was put off by reviews and decided to wait. I bought that and napoleon in a 2014 steam sale with dlc for very cheap. I also bought shogun 2 in a sale with all dlc for bargain price.
    Last edited by Påsan; March 27, 2016 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Påsan View Post
    Why would some moderators influence your decision at all, they might or might not be asshats, but they are still just volunteers who don't work for the company.

Because they treat you like ...We just had our thread threatened with being closed because we are once again being the "combative party" even though the one who pissed off so many people in the thread is purposely making up bs. No one supporting the thread said what this individual is claiming, he is literally taking someone's words twisting them in order to manipulate our thread and suggestions. Instead of going to the source of the outbursts by so many people the mod completely ignored it and targeted me and another, why would he do that? because I questioned a decision he made, because of that, I now just receive my condescending every single time. It's not all the moderators, it's a single individual that specifically is targeting some members. Hell, none of the other moderators I have a problem with, sure they are strict but they don't make threats and close threads based on , this guy...is making it personal. I've sent a staff member a message about them but I'm 100% certain it will fall on deaf ears. It influences my decision because customers have a right to share opinions... they have the right to confront individuals that are being manipulative and twisting the whole premise of what they are arguing. Hijacking a thread with a bunch of nonsense that was never said yet punishing the individuals that fight back against the hijacker is nonsensical. I work in politics, I don't need that twisting of words and meanings in a video game forum. If people have an outburst, delete it. I'm perfectly ok with admitting I do that, hell just look above. If you mods deleted it I would be ok with that because it's me not thinking rationally, I wouldn't get mad at you or throw a fit or take it personally, you're doing your job. But closing an entire thread where I've spent hours discussing and others have put tons of effort in because an individual has such a power complex...is absurd. If that's true Markas, it makes so much more sense why this is. They simply can't accept criticism. I have 0 love for that company, I'm still doing this because I care about the IP, if this crashes and burns it's bad for all us fans. If it was anything else other than Warhammer I would have been long gone, but that's not the case. We are stuck where we are and nothing can change that. I'm trying to make the best out of the situation but it's...like a mini north Korea.

Sorry if I make your guys eyes bleed I'm typing this on a phone at the office. Autocorrect is not very friendly.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; March 29, 2016 at 06:37 AM. Reason: merged consecutive posts.

Chris P. Bacon's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by Fritz45 View Post
    I was just wondering if I should avoid the official forums completely? I made a thread about the Dwarf Karaks and it got thrown out for being "aggressive and combative"
    I go on the official forums almost every day, there is plently of negativity and criticism. I would mostly chalk it up to them having a different style than TWC. For starters, naming your thread "Its not a discussion, Karaks are pathetic" and calling someone's post stupid and naive in your first reply isn't a good choice.

EDIT: Looking now theirs a 12 page long thread about people debating Karaks. Post there if you wish.
    Last edited by Chris P. Bacon; March 27, 2016 at 10:37 PM.

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Back to NTW time, I started a thread on their forum to gather support for a DLC with an expanded map.
    It was also closed immediately.

CA doesn't want discussion, they want only approval. And only for their current /future game

HigoChumbo's Avatar Definitely not Jom.
    Citizen

Blog Entries

~ Moved a few posts to the TW General Discussion section to prevent this from going too off-topic. You can find them here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...4#post14921804 ~

TotalFarce's Avatar Laetus

Love Total War, hate CA business practices, will not be pre-ordering.

So why do people think its CA thats doing this? Sega owns them. Why is it when EA buys a company and their games drop in quality its EA's fault but when Sega buys a company and the quality drops its the bought companies fault? How do we know its not Sega forcing them to release half finished games because TW is probably in their top 5 highest selling products and DLC is a thing now so they want as much DLC to make more money? Hell even Darren in his streams seems to dislike things Sega does, like that make war not love campaign being completely unbalanced to have dawn of war win because of the player base is much smaller and therefor the people playing it count much more than TW's base (think he said something like every 1 game in DoW2 is 3-5 games for TW).