Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Creative Assembly Business Practice Discussion Thread (Warhammer I & II)

Default Re: CA business practice discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Frost, colonel View Post
    Can they really drag it out that long, maybe with enough DLC in between the further 2 main map expansions/race releases and after their release?
    Well if your correct then we should get a very fleshed out Warhammer game indeed, with no feasible excuses for CA and Co taking extended short cuts and general liberties with the Warhammer world.
    Well, Starcraft 2's "trilogy" was over 6 years or so, so it seems possible.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidtheDuke View Post
    Well, Starcraft 2's "trilogy" was over 6 years or so, so it seems possible.
    Was this purely because of delayed timed releases, or also from large volumes of spaced DLC?

I don't know anything of Starcraft, but I do get the impression that the DLC for Warhammer could be very extensive if they wish it to be. In fact I wonder if there could almost be an element of collectability to it from a gamers perspective(particually if from a TT background), I mean it's quite a unique situation we have not seen before is it not?

Laetus

Hi all. Apparently the DLC is now free for week 1 purchases.

...still not buying unless CA starts supporting modding for the game...

I guess I'll have to wait for the next title for a modern LOTR or SoIaF Total War mod

Karnil Vark Khaitan's Avatar Praepositus

Was this purely because of delayed timed releases, or also from large volumes of spaced DLC?

I don't know anything of Starcraft, but I do get the impression that the DLC for Warhammer could be very extensive if they wish it to be. In fact I wonder if there could almost be an element of collectability to it from a gamers perspective(particually if from a TT background), I mean it's quite a unique situation we have not seen before is it not?
    not really its the warhammer game is properly going the same way as starcraft 2 did.

Im the Knight in Sour Armor http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...ghtInSourArmor
    Rainbow Darling rainbows Darling. Darling Rainbows!!!!!
    but on the same time modder with my first mod for Rome 2!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=286218945
    Hey Sparkle Sparkle Sparkle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDULtV9U2kA
    Quote Originally Posted by riskymonk View Post
    yea but mods are created by fans of the series. Games are created by university students who might not necessarily know or play the games/series they're working on

It's a unique situation in that all the races are intended to be implemented by the end of the trilogy, yes. It seems to be WHFB's swan song, really. I hope it's not the end but GW doesn't seem to care right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Karnil Vark Khaitan View Post
    not really its the warhammer game is properly going the same way as starcraft 2 did.
    Yeah, there has been a lot of Warhammer games. Blood Bowl is a good example of a solid game, but I can't imagine the sales for Blood Bowl 2 were that good since Blood Bowl 1, Blood Bowl: Chaos Edition had all been released. Dawn of War is the main franchise that has a really solid reputation, and that was because it was a great standalone game. We will have to see if they can keep that reputation going.

GW have never been able to modernize. I think stopping mods may be a bigger mistake than the DLC to death strategy. The problem is that once everyone has played the first one, there will be a lot of seepage and a lot of people will start to get a bit bored. Modding is a great way to keep the community together overtime with no extra costs. Warhammer TT itself lends itself brilliantly to modding too (Dwarf Karaks, house rules, random unit creation, even entire factions that never existed in the rulebooks, zombie apocalypses). So, I think the main problem with Total War Warhammer will be to keep fans interested in the Warhammer universe. I cannot imagine countless Empire Knight packs will keep the interest going. An expansion involving a new race, on the other hand...

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

Anyone seen this Youtube interview with some guy from CA about their reasons for Chaos as DLC?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpxP6FjmyFo
    Basically seems as though Chaos was always going to be in the game, but just as a end game bad guy that all the factions have to come up against, but then they decided to flesh them out and make them playable as an attempt to increase hype and pre-order incentives. The CA guy recognises that they screwed over the fan base with Rome 2's horrible launch and then this pre-order fiasco.
    Or as someone in the comment section summed it up,
    "Our publishers wanted to make more money so we had to find a way to do that. Then the fans kicked off so now we have this comprise where hopefully fans will pay full price for the game up front and anyone who buys it cheaper later on will have to pay for the Chaos Warriors separately. It felt like the best way to appear to be doing something but still make as much money as possible."
    Last edited by Commissar Caligula_; May 05, 2016 at 02:51 AM.

I really hope this game will be good. I personally don't trust CA over its past practices and terrible DLC model, but I still love Total War, and will keep a close eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by VxBoredxV View Post
    Anyone seen this Youtube interview with some guy from CA about their reasons for Chaos as DLC?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpxP6FjmyFo
    Basically seems as though Chaos was always going to be in the game, but just as a end game bad guy that all the factions have to come up against, but then they decided to flesh them out and make them playable as an attempt to increase hype and pre-order incentives. The CA guy recognises that they screwed over the fan base with Rome 2's horrible launch and then this pre-order fiasco.
    Or as someone in the comment section summed it up,
    "Our publishers wanted to make more money so we had to find a way to do that. Then the fans kicked off so now we have this comprise where hopefully fans will pay full price for the game up front and anyone who buys it cheaper later on will have to pay for the Chaos Warriors separately. It felt like the best way to appear to be doing something but still make as much money as possible."
    I think the Chaos stuff is clearly . CA have form here. So I am sceptical. Looking forward to this game but I am certainly of the view that CA are milking this for as much as they think they can get. Can understand some players not caring but I think fans should keep up the pressure.

Yeah its 100% CA milking this and nothing to do with SEGA making them do the preorder bonuses and DLC before they give them more money. Hell the way i see it SEGA could very easily stop giving them money for TW and want them to do more stuff like Alien Isolation since that did well and was well received if people stop buying TW because of petty issues with business policies that literally every company does when they don't have the luxury of being able to publish themselves or having to answer to corporate businessmen. Like i said before when EA buys a company and the games drop in quality because of it its EA's fault when SEGA bought CA and the games got less polished/DLC heavy its CA's fault.

Quote Originally Posted by sm1921 View Post

Time to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by badbomb View Post
    Yeah its 100% CA milking this and nothing to do with SEGA making them do the preorder bonuses and DLC before they give them more money. Hell the way i see it SEGA could very easily stop giving them money for TW and want them to do more stuff like Alien Isolation since that did well and was well received if people stop buying TW because of petty issues with business policies that literally every company does when they don't have the luxury of being able to publish themselves or having to answer to corporate businessmen. Like i said before when EA buys a company and the games drop in quality because of it its EA's fault when SEGA bought CA and the games got less polished/DLC heavy its CA's fault.
    I would be reluctant to say it was CA who is doing the milking here. Games Workshop have always been tight about their Intellectual Property and I would imagine they saw the opportunity here to place that right onto CA, especially with the trilogy of TW:W games which are scheduled. The game will sell well because Total War and Warhammer were made for each other and it should've happened a long time ago.

I just hope that now Games Workshop overhauled their TT game, this won't crossover into the Total War games and we will get games based on the Old World before Age of Sigmar. I stopped playing a few years ago and I have no intention of playing this AoS they're using now.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by sm1921 View Post
    Hi all. Apparently the DLC is now free for week 1 purchases.

I guess I'll have to wait for the next title for a modern LOTR or SoIaF Total War mod
    Well that was ironic.

Is anyone else sick of the arcadish button-mashing that the TW series has been slowly moving towards?
    I know I am, and I am sick of excuses like: "The AI cannot handle it" when it is their responsibility to make sure that it does. Hell, they get paid for it and yet they cut out features or replace them with incredibly arcadish or gamey ones (torches, towers on self-destructs, now pocket ladders....). No, I am really tired of lies, this game is not finished, this game will NOT be finished in time and they will sell us piece by piece(just look at chaos) while telling more lies(modding support when you can mod fewer and fewer things, hell now there's even IP for what you can or you cannot mod...).
    Let's be honest, the quality of the TW series has been going down and Warhammer won't be any better, especially since many will be blinded by their love of the Warhammer universe.
    I am simply tired of that, I am tired to be treated like a walking wallet, I am tired of seeing my favourite series become the equivalent of Battlefield, Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurelius Silvanus Tacitus View Post
    Is anyone else sick of the arcadish button-mashing that the TW series has been slowly moving towards?
    I know I am, and I am sick of excuses like: "The AI cannot handle it" when it is their responsibility to make sure that it does. Hell, they get paid for it and yet they cut out features or replace them with incredibly arcadish or gamey ones (torches, towers on self-destructs, now pocket ladders....). No, I am really tired of lies, this game is not finished, this game will NOT be finished in time and they will sell us piece by piece(just look at chaos) while telling more lies(modding support when you can mod fewer and fewer things, hell now there's even IP for what you can or you cannot mod...).
    Let's be honest, the quality of the TW series has been going down and Warhammer won't be any better, especially since many will be blinded by their love of the Warhammer universe.
    I am simply tired of that, I am tired to be treated like a walking wallet, I am tired of seeing my favourite series become the equivalent of Battlefield, Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed.
    Careful Aurelius Silvanus Tacitus you'll give yourself high blood pressure. Learn to care a little less, you'll live longer Yes the series has changed, that's inevitable, and many things that have content, get less content for the money over time, that's normal to.
    It's hard when your favourite series becomes less in your eyes, but what can you do about it?

Stick with the games and mods you like or find another series, or concentrate on other hobbies. Perhaps sit back on Warhammer, read reviews etc in several months, see what level of mods can get come out with the IP restrictions.
    Remember that CA were always going to have their hands a little tied with Warhammer when Games workshop came on board. We should count ourselves lucky CA have secured us any at all. There may well still be fun to be had for someone of your tastes, try less negativity.

This is a consumer world, driven by the need to make things and sell them, endlessly. Quite funny when you think about it. I don't know what it is like in Romania, but here in the UK, we get bombarded by business's that think we are nothing but walking wallets as you put it.

Stick with the games and mods you like or find another series, or concentrate on other hobbies. Perhaps sit back on Warhammer, read reviews etc in several months, see what level of mods can get come out with the IP restrictions.
    Remember that CA were always going to have their hands a little tied with Warhammer when Games workshop came on board. We should count ourselves lucky CA have secured us any at all. There may well still be fun to be had for someone of your tastes, try less negativity.

This is a consumer world, driven by the need to make things and sell them, endlessly. Quite funny when you think about it. I don't know what it is like in Romania, but here in the UK, we get bombarded by business's that think we are nothing but walking wallets as you put it.
    Kek, what a an abominable post. Not only do you start off with,
    "Dude just wait until some people who aren't even getting paid let alone associated with CA make their own game better with mods, it'll be fine when they apply a plaster over gangrene"

You follow it with
    "Dude Games Workshop is totally responsible for how terrible it will be and not CA's progressive casualization of the franchise at all, we should we glad they defecated on our plate (not even pushing out the full monty) rather than deliver gold"

And to cap it all off you defend this by saying
    "Lol we live in a consumer world, so I'm totally fine with CA porting out progressively more terrible produce"
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 23, 2016 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Deleted disruptive references.

Gnske, do you ever say anything remotely positive about, well anything?

Default CA...

Please fix features of your other titles before you release new games. It's been over a year and the Attila mod tools are still in beta, that's pathetic. I would never have bought that title if I had the foreknowledge that the mod tools would not be functional at this stage.

Thanks, Carry on.
    Last edited by stevehoos; May 23, 2016 at 09:05 PM.
    Shogun 2, no thanks I will stick with Kingdoms SS.

Default Re: CA...

SECONDED. CA I couldn't care less about Warhammer right now when incomplete games still go unserviced; RECENT RELEASES! Complete and support your games or you will see your faithful community shrink!

Edit: Yeah cause I've more to say, Lying to your fanbase about the potential of your product is not how you sell titles and you simply cannot go back on your word and assume we will all forget. This will reflect itself in te popularity of your games on this forum and if you all haven't noticed the trend here following Rome II then you are lost.
    Last edited by WAR monger; May 23, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
    [signature]

♘Top Hat Zebra's Avatar Praepositus
    That place you go to when the world becomes too much? I'm in the world. I'm why it's too much.

Default Re: CA...

Attila isn't a very popular Total War game, despite it's quality.

You guys can't find anything relevant or on topic to complain about, so you complain about a different game's mod tools.

Genius.
    Last edited by HigoChumbo; May 24, 2016 at 06:45 AM. Reason: continuity
    "Rajadharma! The Duty of Kings. Know you: Kingship is a Trust. The King is the most exalted and conscientious servant of the people."