Thread: Do we know much / anything about the strategic game?

Default Do we know much / anything about the strategic game?

I was sceptical about this game when I heard the announcement (Rome 2 and Attilla burn out - I've become jaded with the whole company and their releases). I've not connection to the original Games Workshop game, so I just shrugged. I like fantasy but this was a fantasy world I have no connection to, so I was indifferent. I've recently been watching the battle videos that have been released and admit my "jading" starting to crack a little.

The simple fact is TATW is my favourite TW game. I love TATW because of the wonderful work that the modders put into creating a real Tolkien fantasy setting. I've watched these warhammer vids and admit, I'm impressed. I've no connection to the original, so I'm no lore fiend, but I'm watching battles between beautifully modelled orcs and dwarves. There's real variation - one faction isn't just a re-texturing of another faction etc. There seem to be real variation in looks and abilities between units, not just the standard rock, paper, scissors system I got bored with long ago. There's enough in these videos to be intrigued. (I won't use excited about a TW release, I have learnt my RII lesson and we've yet to see how the factions and units are marketed.....I won't be buying if it's broken down into DLC's).

However, there's no info about the strategic layer of the game. And that makes me worried. TATW is my favourite TW game/mod, not only because of the modelling and maps, but because the strategic game was built on Med II. The TATW strategic game has none of the shortcuts of the recent TW releases. You need to reinforce armies with new recruits, you need to plan your campaign turns ahead, it's unforgiving. If you don't plan, you fail. For me, it's involving and challenging. (Let's not digress into a to and fro argument about how RII and Attilla are better because these features got cut, the RII forum is full of them). Plus, TATW uses a rather great victory condition goal that's tied into the LOTR story, ie. destroying the ring - which is pretty damned hard.

I'm looking for information here, rather than an argument about which strategic style is better (the argument will never be solved) DO we know anything about the strategic game?

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

Default Re: Do we know much / anything about the strategic game?

Unfortunately there is no information on how exactly the strategic part of the game ( I take it you mean the campaign map by this ) will be. All we have at the moment are speculations based on an art map they released as part of a charity.

There are hints and bits and pieces all around the info they released so far regarding the campaign, like the "how lords work" thread. But we have nothing concrete.
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

scoicarius's Avatar Ordinarius

I wish we did know, but they haven't been very forthcoming with information. This is one of the things I dislike about CA.
    The Art of Warhammer Fantasy <-- link
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

As it was only announced six months ago and there is quite possibly another year to go until release, I really don't know how much info people are expecting.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

-Emile Cammaerts' book The Laughing Prophets (1937)

Under the patronage of Nihil. So there.

Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    As it was only announced six months ago and there is quite possibly another year to go until release, I really don't know how much info people are expecting.
    Something? Have a Rep OP was thinking the same thing. We know diddly squat about the campaigns.

Also sieges? If it's another cut and paste job regards towns/cities will be pretty poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Totalheadache View Post
    Something? Have a Rep OP was thinking the same thing. We know diddly squat about the campaigns.

Also sieges? If it's another cut and paste job regards towns/cities will be pretty poor.
    Got the release date on you? No, you don't. I guess they are doing what every other company that knows anything about marketing does and staggering info until they are near completion.

Sometimes when you watch a kettle boil it can seem pretty slow at times. That's a good time to do something else.
    'When people stop believing in God, they don’t believe in nothing — they believe in anything. '

Got the release date on you? No, you don't. I guess they are doing what every other company that knows anything about marketing does and staggering info until they are near completion.

Sometimes when you watch a kettle boil it can seem pretty slow at times. That's a good time to do something else.
    Aye, well said. The only thing fan pressure is gonna do is increase the chances of a Rome II scenario. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I wonder how much the people, complaining about the lack of information know about what is out there. If they do know it, they didn't told the OP, despite that was he/she asking for.

So here a short run-down of general informations and some details:
    Every race will have different Campaign features.
    The Empire will be close to a "classic" TW faction.
    The Greenkins are about momentum, they have to keep moving/fighting and avoid holds.
    On that note: greenskins TT rule animersity, will be not in the battles, but a factor on the map, influencing your troops loyalty and infighting.
    Dwarfs will have "grudges" that will act as missions they have to complete.
    They also have the ability to use tunnel bypasses.
    Vampire have some mention that they will a "dead base economy".
    The new family members are "lords", the new agents are "heroes"
    Lords can be combine into one army, which means that even if a lord is mandatory for a army you will have the ability to split troops.
    Last edited by ScipioGermanicus; October 21, 2015 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScipioGermanicus View Post
    Vampire have some mention that they will a "dead base economy".
    Taking inspiration from Greece there...

#topical

scoicarius's Avatar Ordinarius

You're right, it is a good strategy for building up anticipation. I just wish they engaged with the community more. For instance I'd be very curious to know more about their design vision and approach, and how they tackle various design challenges.

To give an example, this is an article by Mark Rosewater, one of my favorite game designers, who's had a weekly game-design article for over a decade now. Much of what I know about game design I owe to him.
    Last edited by scoicarius; October 21, 2015 at 07:28 PM.
    The Art of Warhammer Fantasy <-- link
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by ScipioGermanicus View Post
    I wonder how much the people, complaining about the lack of information know about what is out there. If they do know it, they didn't told the OP, despite that was he/she asking for.

So here a short run-down of general informations and some details...........
    The new family members are "lords", the new agents are "heroes"
    Lords can be combine into one army, which means that even if a lord is mandatory for a army you will have the ability to split troops.
    So is that something like R2 every army MUST have a general?
    I guess we'll be finding out more over the next months...as others have said, there's too little to say right now. OK. Just thought I'd ask. I won't be buying on release anyway.