Thread: Questions of a beginner in EB

AntonisTheGreek's Avatar Senator

Default Questions of a beginner in EB

Hi EB players,
    Recently I downloaded EB,and I have some questions about it:
    Why are the bodyguards of Koinon Hellenon so tough?It was very difficult for me to kill them while playing as Makedonia.Also,they were killing or routing my entire army
    How do I raid settlements?
    Now I'm playing as Rome.Is it a good choice for a beginner?(My first faction was Makedonia,I couldn't take all the cities of Koinon Hellenon in Greece,and I eventually got conquered by Epeiros)
    What are the easiest and hardest factions to play as?
    Why Greek sounds so weird in this mod?

Tiro

Default Re: Questions of a beginner in EB

The bodyguards of Koinon Hellenon are quite strong. Playing as Makedonia I had no problem to defeat them, though. As a matter of fact, Koinon Hellenon as a whole isn't that strong. And almost every battle there's at least one Makedonian unit routing. When you think you may or might loose the battle, you have to push through.
    After you capture a settlement, you have three options to choose from. I always choose to exterminate the populace (in EB it's called "to enslave" AFAIK). The buttons have the same function as in RTW, but they got another name.
    For a beginner Rome and the Ptolemies are ment to be the easiest. Epeiros can be a good choice (if you have already a certain RTW experience), but then you have to conquer Pella and Demetrias in the first turn of at least the first two turns (you have a spy and elephants to make that possible). Never start as Pontus, Armenia, the Arverni, the Sabyin...
    The Greek in EB is meant to be ancient Greek, but the pronunciation is not totally correct.
    Proud winner of the first XCmas contest of the Extended Cultures mod (XC)
    “War does not determine who is right - only who is left.” – Bertrand Russell
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
    “Where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.” – Heinrich Heine
    "You know you're a history fan when you still get upset thinking about the Library of Alexandria." – unknown

Quote Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
    Playing as Makedonia I had no problem to defeat them, though.
    How do you defeat them then?

After you capture a settlement, you have three options to choose from. I always choose to exterminate the populace (in EB it's called "to enslave" AFAIK). The buttons have the same function as in RTW, but they got another name.
    So I select the last option,right?

The Greek in EB is meant to be ancient Greek, but the pronunciation is not totally correct.
    I know that this is ancient Greek,but did it really sound that strange? And if the pronunciation is not totally correct,how it should be?

Ryoga84's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by AntonisTheGreek View Post
    How do you defeat them then?
    Usually I pit them between a spear unit in Guard mode and then attack them on the flank with a heavy unit, then if I have an heavy cavarly, charge the rear of the unit.
    Beware, they are among your worst guests.
    ====== "Worst English User" 2012/2014 Award Winner =======
    ===========Running for the 2015, support me.===========
    Uchronia Barbarorum v1.05 , ahistorical submod for Europa Barbarorum 1.2 WiP
    Another Story: The Greek Wars v1.0 , submod for The Greek Wars 1.1 WiP
    4th Age +1, v1.0 , submod for Fourth Age: Total War 2.6 WiP

I know that this is ancient Greek,but did it really sound that strange?
    I think so, yes. Certainly different from modern Greek. You also have to keep in mind that there are several dialects of Ancient Greek to choose from.

And if the pronunciation is not totally correct,how it should be?
    Sometimes the /x/ sound (usually transcribed in English as kh like in "Kazakhstan") sounds like /kx/ in EB, which is more Swiss German than Greek (or anything else). This is very likely unintentional, but typical for native speakers of English - they have a very hard time getting that particular sound right. Also, I think there were some inaccuracies with the diphthongs and/or other minor issues, according to what team members said at a later point.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    I think so, yes. Certainly different from modern Greek. You also have to keep in mind that there are several dialects of Ancient Greek to choose from.
    I think that during the Hellenistic era,the era EB is set in, all Greek-speaking people spoke the Hellenistic Greek language.If the mod was set during the classical antiquity,then yes,we would have a selection of dialects.

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    Sometimes the /x/ sound (usually transcribed in English as kh like in "Kazakhstan") sounds like /kx/ in EB, which is more Swiss German than Greek (or anything else). This is very likely unintentional, but typical for native speakers of English - they have a very hard time getting that particular sound right. Also, I think there were some inaccuracies with the diphthongs and/or other minor issues, according to what team members said at a later point.
    Why didn't they get Greek people to do the Greek voicepack then?
    But yes,I can agree on what you say about the diphthongs.When I first heard how the names of some units were pronounced like,I thought "Wait! This is not how diphthongs work!" Except if diphthongs in ancient Greek didn't work like they do in modern Greek.

Some more questions:
    Why the chariot units run amok?
    It seems that I can't recruit Roman units in northern and southern Italy in my campaign as Rome.What's going on with the recruitment in this mod?
    Is there a berserker unit in this mod?
    Why there's a canal in Egypt,similar to the Suez Canal of our times?Did such a thing exist in the Hellenistic era?

Why the chariot units run amok?
    In my opinion, is because in several battles, routed units of chariots (especially scythed chariots) charged their own troops for the sake of running away. The "run amok" trait is the most similar approximation in the RTW engine.

It seems that I can't recruit Roman units in northern and southern Italy in my campaign as Rome.What's going on with the recruitment in this mod?
    I suppose you are still in the Camillan Era (if you click on one of your cities among other buildings you will see a "card" with Camillan Era written on it), in the Camillan Era you cannot build factional barracks in regions besides you initial ones. If you click on the "building" the flavour-text will explain some of the historical motivations.
    For the sake of moving on from the Camillan Era, you need to reach the Polybian Era (from the EB FAQ):
    The Polybian Reforms happen due to a change in equiptment and tactics that were adopted or adapted due to wars with Carthage and Celts.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read:
    -At least year 242
    -Hold 2 of these cities (Segesta, Mediolanum, Patavium, Bononia)
    -Hold 2 of these cities (Lilibeo, Messana, Syracuse)
    OR
    -Wait until 210BC
    (You get the new units only after upgrading your MICs.)
    by the way, there are some interesting local troops, so in the meantime you can build some regional barracks and recruit Ligurians, Greek and Bruttians

and remember to activate the scripts, always.

Is there a berserker unit in this mod?
    Nope, no berserkers in EB. But there are celtic and germanic fanatics, avalaible as mercenaries.

Why there's a canal in Egypt,similar to the Suez Canal of our times?Did such a thing exist in the Hellenistic era?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_of_the_Pharaohs

Tiro

A little attempt for a right pronunciation of ancient Greek:

Α sounds like a short or a long German A
    Β sounds like a B (a Modern Greek ΜΠ) and not like a V
    Γ sounds like a French G
    Δ sounds like a D (a Modern Greek ΝΤ) and not like an Icelandic DH (English “these”)
    Ε sounds like a short E
    Ζ sounds like a DZ
    Η sounds like a French Č or Ę
    Θ sounds like an Icelandic TH (English “thinking”)
    Ι sounds like a short or a long German I or like a German J
    Κ sounds like a K
    Λ sounds like an L
    Μ sounds like an M
    Ν sounds like an N
    Ξ sounds like a KS
    Ο sounds like a short O
    Π sounds like a P
    Ρ sounds like an R
    Σ sounds like an S
    Τ sounds like a T
    Υ sounds like a German Ü or like an English W
    Φ sounds like a French F
    Χ sounds like a German CH without the optional German J
    Ψ sounds like a PS
    Ω sounds like a long O

ΑΙ sounds like a
    short or a long German A followed by a German J
    ΑΥ sounds like a short or a long German A followed by an English W (or even like a German AU)
    ΓΓ sounds like an English NG
    ΕΙ sounds like a short E followed by a German J (or even like a French Č or Ę)
    ΕΥ sounds like a short E followed by an English W (or even like a Norwegian Ř)
    ΗΙ sounds like a French Č or Ę followed by a German J
    ΛΛ sounds like an L and is thought to have sound once like an L followed by a German J
    ΟΙ sounds like a short O followed by a German J
    ΟΥ sounds like the German U
    ΩΙ sounds like a long O followed by a German J
    Last edited by The_Judge; October 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” – Edmund Burke
    “Where they burn books, they will ultimately burn people also.” – Heinrich Heine
    "You know you're a history fan when you still get upset thinking about the Library of Alexandria." – unknown

Tiro

How you defeat the bodyguards of Koinon Hellenon: A Spartan does not ask how many enemies there are but where they are. Use every spear or missile unit you have to weaken them from all possible angles and finish the job with your cavalry. They will die eventually.

The differences between Greek dialects were never that huge. Sparta liked the Η but Athens changed the Η into an Α after an Ε, an Ι or a Ρ. Almost every Greek dialect used a ΣΣ (instead of the ancient ΤΣ), but Athens prefered a ΤΤ.

The recruitment viewer is essential to know the recruitment options in EB.
    Last edited by The_Judge; October 23, 2015 at 01:15 PM.

Imagine how difficult would be for someone(even Greeks) to pronounce correctly ancient Greek...

About the KH bodyguards:Sometimes I think that routing the Gaesetae is easier than routing these...

routing the Gaesetae IS easier than routing KH bodyguards

The Gaesetae are a celto-germanic assault troop, therefore they can be routed with precise charges and a good deal of missile troops, they are made for squashing their adversaries, not resist.
    On the other side, the KH bodyguards are diehard line infantry, trained and heavy disciplined, they can die, but they will not route. And they better be this way, because the Koinon Hellenon must leverage on the Family Members, it's their only superior unit (Spartans aside) at gamestart.
    While from the north are coming armies and armies of Makedonia's and Epiro's phalanxes, beyond them only barbarians, on the east the fearsome Successor States are waiting for you, while on the West the two mediterranean superpowers are struggling for supremacy - and the winner will be stronger than both- , only your Family Members stands at the gates of your cities. They (and their chosen troops) are your main stronghold, and all the tactics of the starting greek armies must make the better use of them.

So we understand that playing as KH is difficult,right?

2 more questions:
    Is there any artillery in this mod?
    Why the mercenaries are so expensive?

2 more questions:
    Is there any artillery in this mod?
    Yes, in certain provinces for certain factions (including all Greeks. Also, for Romans after the Marian Reforms). For example, in Rhodos (IIRC). The Recruitment Viewer will help with that.

Why the mercenaries are so expensive?
    Because they're mercenaries.

1. Yes, there are: for the romans they are usable from the polybian era onward, and only in certain regions (I remember that the polybian artilleries should be recrutable in the main Greek-speaking areas of the time... outside the Hellas I remember Syracuse and Massalia, but please please refer to the Recruitment Viewer)

2. Because they are fighting troops ready at any time, so you should be ready to pay them more than you local enlisted troops (some mercenary troops start even with one or two levels of experience, of course, the cost even more).

And where I can find this Recruitmen Viewer?

usually, is installed with Europa Barbarorum, with a link on your desktop

Boriak's Avatar Senator

I never use artillery. Too expensive and you really don't need to rush the way you have to in other mods where there will be a script that will fill some cities with quality troops (garrison script).

I tend to save about 50k in silver just so that I can afford mercenary units and not go bankrupt every turn. I tend to go for the greatest contrast between native and mercenary units. For example, if playing a Hellenistic faction, mercenaries will be Gauls and Africans.