Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ab Urbe Condita "VI" Information & Download Thread

Zipzopdippidybopbop's Avatar Barred from the Local

Default Re: Ab Urbe Condita V4 Information & Download Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anon2 View Post
    I really like this mod because it improves vanilla gameplay and doesn't overhaul everything/make everything too micro-intensive. I have noticed a couple bugs though: 1) the AIs for the Britons, Thrace and Numidia don't do anything, they just sit around in their starting cities until they are killed and don't even go after rebel settlements 2) you can't view settlements on the battle map, not that this is particularly necessary but it is still a nice feature from the original game 3) reinforcements never arrive on the battle map, at least for the AI.

It would also be nice gameplay-wise if there was difference between the Roman stage 2 and 3 barracks after the reforms.
    The AI for these factions don't do anything anyway - limitation of the game engine unfortunately. You CAN view the settlements on the battlemap, so I'm a little confused here. Finally, reinforcements DO arrive in battle - the game (since vanilla) doesn't send in reinforcements if your PC has difficulty processing the amount of troops on screen: - until you kill more men they won't arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Almughavars View Post
    Excellent game but just to say one thing to be finally fixed. Why the roman faction in the year 280 b.c, it's call "The Roman Empire" and not "Roman Republic"? For history accuracy instead, should be fixed and renamed as "The Roman Republic". Thanks!
    I can change it easily for you if you'd like, and attach it as a personal extra, but I kept it as "Empire" because the name cannot be changed ingame, and since the Roman Republic was technically an "empire" (not monarchical, but certainly oligarchic, with more of an autocratic pattern developing before Augustus).

Quote Originally Posted by Gildenmeister View Post
    @all: somebody told me, what the problem is: if there is a fleet in the harbour or you build a ship in the same round, you get the ctd. Without it, there is no problem.

G.
    Thanks for identifying it. Is this a problem with vanilla/normal Rome, or just with my mod?

@Gildenmeister

Following on from my last post; I just played a few turns of a Rome campaign and built up the port to the max (with a fleet located inside) - I trained a unit for the next turn and the game didn't crash. Are you sure this CTD can be replicated?

V4.1 is up by the way; added a few fixes mentioned in the posts, as well as an attempt at encouraging a more aggressive display from the weaker factions (i.e. the Britons, Thrace, Dacia etc). I've also re-skinned some Sabaean units, so feel free to play and enjoy!

Eyo'

Link here (or in the first post of the thread);

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ab-urbe-co...#downloadsform

Default Re: Ab Urbe Condita "Platinum" Information & Download Thread

OK! After a solid 2 months or so of working on this mod I can happily say that the final version is out and ready for release! Check the first page for download/installation details.

Ab Urbe Condita v5 (or "Platinum") contains a major list of changes, including;

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    - Settlements can now be renamed ingame; just click on the settlement you own, bring up the basic details and click the settlement name on the tab.

- Many reskins and several new units (expect to see changes to most factions ingame, with particular emphasis on mercenaries, elite units and Romans).

- New officers for the post-Marian Roman units.

- Several new Arabian temples for the Sabaeans, and a Temple of Poseidon for the Greeks.

- Campaign tweaks (more land and money to Parthia/Numidia, with a few more starting troops for Numidia). Also tweaked AI core attitudes to prompt more aggression from Numidia and Britannia.

- Few unit stat tweaks - i.e. unarmoured units having "armour" stat removed etc.

- Landbridges added to Pillars of Hercules, Corsica/Sardinia, Britannia/Gaul, Britain/Ireland, Scandinavia, Sicily and the Bosphorus to encourage AI expansion there. Also moved Nicomedia's position slightly on the campaign map in order to create a Eurasian "bottleneck" between Nicomedia and Byzantium - you or the AI must take either city if it wishes to expand into Europe or Asia!

- Text fixes for many units and improved Campaign Descriptions for every faction.

- Doubled the amount of loading screens!

- Lots of new custom battles.

- Every pike unit in the game now uses the new and improved animations; they look more professional, as well as being more physically and historically accurate!

- New descr_formations_ai file added (based on Sinuhet's original):- the AI has been given double the amount of formations to choose from in battle, so expect to see a greatly improved AI response to your moves, and differing AI tactics on the battlemap.

- Added new improved campaign map textures, new tree models for the campaign map, new lighting effects in battles and fixed some climatic areas (i.e. Babylon and the Nile Delta - both aren't pure deserts, but were more fertile. These changes can be seen in both the campaign and battlemaps).

- New routing banner textures (courtesy of the RTR team).

- The mod is now contained within a fully automated installer (making it much easier to install); also comes with a handy desktop shortcut on installation.

Feel free to PM or post a comment here if you have any questions or issues with the mod. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; September 25, 2016 at 12:19 PM.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

Good work on this, the installer works a treat and will surely help those less capable. Sinuhets formations is also a good idea, I have added or experienced them in other mods and they do make a difference imo. Other changes have added nice improvement too. Although I understand the reason for the landbridges (AI expansion), from my personal gameplay/immersion/realism point of view (building ports/ships for invasions) I don't use them. It's early days in my test campaign (do you have a suggested difficulty balance? vh/vh is insane lol) and I have found minor bugs here and there but I think they are from the base game. I don't have a large following but I will be showcasing the mod on my youtube channel when my present campaigns finish or sooner if I can find some extra time. Thanks for a great mod.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 26, 2016 at 03:33 AM.
    My personality is who I am....my attitude depends on who you are!!!
    RTR: Imperium Surrectum Team Member/adviser/tester
    RTR Project Group member/RTR8_4.0 beta tester.
    RSII_WWC Team Member/tester.XC_5 Beta tester
    My TW youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/SaulTyre

Thanks for the reply mate, and be sure to send me the Youtube link so I can see it myself! - aye I play VH/VH personally, as I enjoy the wave after wave of enemy attacks. If it's a bit much for you, try toning it down to H/H. Playing a campaign as Rome at the moment, and I've managed to subjugate Western Gaul, Illyria, Italy and N.Africa. Hispania is proving to be a pain, and I'm dreading the conquest of Greece (the Greeks, having conquered Macedon, are now a powerhouse). Parthia is also fast becoming the power of the East, having conquered half the Seleucid Empire....

As for landbridges; I added them simply to aid the AI. I have already seen vast improvements; the British (in a prior test) conquered all of Western Europe, the Thracians invaded Asia, the Carthaginians conquered Northern Africa and Spain etc.

The AI is much more active in this game; Numidia took ALL of Mauretania/N.Africa in my current game, Thrace has expanded northwards and Dacia has expanded into the lower Balkans (although they've been pushed back by Greece).

As for the bugs, unfortunately I am stumped. Since using Steam I find that the game is much laggier and more unstable (it now crashes after certain battles due to memory limit, I think). Moreover, the dreaded "capture settlement" CTD still occurs, albeit rarely. I've taken great pains to try and minimise the occurrence of that particular bug (both of which are caused by the devs rather than the mod itself). I won't be giving up anytime soon, so if you find anymore bugs please let me know!

Hope you enjoy the mod =)

PS - If you have any pics of the mod please share them in the Pictures thread, cheers!
    Last edited by Zipzopdippidybopbop; September 26, 2016 at 08:05 AM.

The most frequent bug is when the siege equipment and unit get stuck on the boundary line in front of the settlement, you have to start play before you can put it right. I have had this before on other mods and it seems to be the base game to blame. I'm cool with the landbridges for the AI which is a good idea, I just don't usually use them for my own movement. I don't use steam either btw, I had an issue where I politely disagreed with them and they threatened to suspend my account so I ditched them. My personal opinion is that the disks are better anyway, I don't get lag even with high settings (never use highest) I customize unit size to 100 men and keep grass on low or medium, I also turn off event cutscenes and rarely have ctd's now, even the "capture settlement" I will post you a link when the I start the campaign, I'm considering playing as the Britons btw but faction choice really depends on whether it suits a Let's Play, I prefer to choose a faction that is not popular with other tubers and to give a bit of diversity. This is the link to my channel trailer. https://youtu.be/wzMNRPRtOic
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 26, 2016 at 03:04 PM.

Weird, I've never noticed this siege bug you mentioned....

As for picking a faction, may I suggest Baktria, Thrace, Numidia or Spain. All have been fleshed out and have decent units - the Spanish have some tough semi-barbarian spearmen and swordsmen as elite troops, Thrace has a strong hybrid of savage infantry, pikemen and horse archers, the Numidians have the best skirmishers in the game, legionaries and really tough elite troops, and the Baktrians have the Western/Eastern hybrid; a phalanx, lots of skirmishers/missile cavalry, not to mention the possibility of India.... and the troops recruitable there (i.e. Indian elephants, which are something like double in number to their normal counterparts).

PS - released a tiny update, fixing a few details I omitted (glitchy banners, odd formations in descr_formations_ai, text descriptions and some barbarian units being "disciplined").

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzopdippidybopbop View Post
    Weird, I've never noticed this siege bug you mentioned....

As for picking a faction, may I suggest Baktria, Thrace, Numidia or Spain. All have been fleshed out and have decent units - the Spanish have some tough semi-barbarian spearmen and swordsmen as elite troops, Thrace has a strong hybrid of savage infantry, pikemen and horse archers, the Numidians have the best skirmishers in the game, legionaries and really tough elite troops, and the Baktrians have the Western/Eastern hybrid; a phalanx, lots of skirmishers/missile cavalry, not to mention the possibility of India.... and the troops recruitable there (i.e. Indian elephants, which are something like double in number to their normal counterparts).
    Funnily enough I had a look at Spain, I am drawn to them for some reason in mods, Lusotannan were great to play in EB 1.2 as were the Gallaeci in Roma Surrectum, I will defo chk out the others, thanks. btw here is a screenie of that glitch just left click on the thumbnail to enlarge.Attachment 340800
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 26, 2016 at 06:02 PM.

Wow; I have never encountered that bug in my game before. How odd!

What version of RTW are you running it on? Does it occur with other mods? Try a flat re-install of the base game then slap AUC back on top and see if the bug still occurs maybe.

Aye give the Spanish a go; their infantry is pretty decent like!

Aye it has happened in other mods, that's why I said I thought it was a bug in the base game. I have Anthology (3 disks) and this is a fresh install.
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 26, 2016 at 06:41 PM.

Nope, I've never encountered it before..... most peculiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipzopdippidybopbop View Post
    PS - released a tiny update, fixing a few details I omitted (glitchy banners, odd formations in descr_formations_ai, text descriptions and some barbarian units being "disciplined").
    Errrm this might seem like a dumb question but where is this patch?

Same download; I just replaced the original installer on Mod.db with the new updated one

Honestly it's my first post ever on this forum and it must be legendary. I don't know why there are not many feedback but u must know that u done a great job here. I played many mods on MTW2 and Rome but this is just perfect. Balance between vanilla and historical gameplay is just a pleasure. Great ideas with simple choices can be much better than complicated systems!

Quote Originally Posted by gasas View Post
    Honestly it's my first post ever on this forum and it must be legendary. I don't know why there are not many feedback but u must know that u done a great job here. I played many mods on MTW2 and Rome but this is just perfect. Balance between vanilla and historical gameplay is just a pleasure. Great ideas with simple choices can be much better than complicated systems!
    I'm glad you're enjoying it mate! If you want you can fire a few pictures onto the Pictures thread and share your experiences =)

Zipzop have you any signatures for AUC laddie? btw your mod is quickly becoming a big favourite as I experiment more, even competing with my absolute favs RS III & FATW: Dominion of Men 3.2
    Last edited by Saul Tyre; September 28, 2016 at 06:29 AM.