Thread: PC Disasters

ProudNerd's Avatar Decanus
    The front lines searching for glory and honor.

Default PC Disasters

Whats the worst things that have happened while you were building pcs? Leaked watercooling? Wrong wires hooked up killing a mobo? bent pins on a cpu? Whats your worse accidents?

We have all made expemsive misteakes. I think having a thread about it will show noobs thats we all make misteaks and should be funny too.

Ive been lucky:

floppy drive it just stopped working, maybe becuse i put its cable in upside down

knocked the trey right out a dvd-rw walking past it but managed to fix it

Runined eithernet port by reefing out cable without uncliping it first while angry about pc not working

Dropped 4gb hdd, dead

Stupidly used the windows setup patition deleter to remove a usb flashdrives pataton thinking it was a hdd one for some reason couldn't even format it again it never worked

Whats yours?
    Last edited by Incinerate_IV; November 23, 2006 at 11:23 AM.

Why would you want to overclock a celeron? It woudl only make it suck faster...
    A day without blood is like a day without sunshine.
    Member of S.I.N.

Incinerate_IV's Avatar Burn baby burn

Default Re: PC Disasters

I merged the two threads, since they were pretty much about the same thing.

I made a lot of mistakes before, it's amazing my PC is still running.

The first time I built this PC, I forgot to put the screw on the motherboard that lifts the thing up (forgot what that's called), but basically, all my motherboard contacts were touching each other. I spend half a day wondering what's wrong. After I put the screws in, I was pretty sure the motherboard shorted, but it started up like normal. That was pretty scary.

The other one is when my cheapo power supply burnt out. The good thing is my other hardware is fine, the bad thing is my PC was down for about a week. Never buying cheapo power supplies again.

And then there's when my video card burnt out, I think I oced it too much.
    THE PC Hardware Buyers Guide
    Desktop PC: Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.8 Ghz | Swiftech Apogee GT waterblock + MCP655 + 2 x 120mm rad | Biostar Tforce 965PT | G.Skill 4gb (2 x 2gb) DDR2-800 | Radeon HD 4870 512mb | 250GB + 160GB hard drive | Antec 900 | 22" Widescreen

Civitate

I have done that as well, although to fix it all I had to do was to slot it back in.
    Under the patronage of Rhah and brother of eventhorizen.

Scarlett Letterman's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by ProudNerd View Post

Runined eithernet port by reefing out cable without uncliping it first while angry about pc not working
    I can sooo see myself doing this.

I bought a cheapo 350 W psu and paid for it later when it blew and took a gig of ram with it to computer parts heaven

signature by Alfonso VIII

Pent uP Rage's Avatar Tech *********

One of my favorites....Stupid Computer Tricks

under the patronage of Emperor Dimitricus, son of the Black Prince
    Before you post, see if your question has already been answered
    here

Well, first time I ever assembled my own computer I made a stuuuupid mistake. You know, when you're mounting the motherboard, there's the propeller bolts you screw into the tower to mount the board on? Yeah, well, I couldn't find two of them, thought what the hell and mounted it directly on the inside of the tower... Huge mistake there. The whole thing became current-carrying and short-circuited...

In hindsight, I don't know how the hell I could ever think it was going to work.

Amazingly enough, I was able to convince the shop that it was a technical error in the motherboard that caused, and they sent me replacement parts of everything, without even wanting to examine the system :o

Average British Student

Quote Originally Posted by Pent uP Rage View Post
    One of my favorites....Stupid Computer Tricks
    Thank you for that laugh. Finish the post with a quote

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former

SPARTAN VI's Avatar Campidoctor

I tried to fasten a heatsink to my old AthlonXP 2500+ without 1- thermal paste and 2- using zip ties. Yeah... that didn't work!

2016 TW: Warhammer Modding Winner!

SPARTAN VI's Building Progression Icons Mod
    Streaming Total War & Strategy Games - SPARTAN VI's Game Night

About two days ago after spending about 2 hours formating all my drives and installing windows... then managing to cut the power to the computer and finding that the primary hard drive had a boot error from the power cut.... reformat and reinstall!

back when i was 12, my gfx card fan was making a lot of noise so i stuffed blue tac into it and wondered why it overheat.

ProudNerd's Avatar Decanus
    The front lines searching for glory and honor.

Quote Originally Posted by monoxism View Post
    Well, first time I ever assembled my own computer I made a stuuuupid mistake. You know, when you're mounting the motherboard, there's the propeller bolts you screw into the tower to mount the board on? Yeah, well, I couldn't find two of them, thought what the hell and mounted it directly on the inside of the tower... Huge mistake there. The whole thing became current-carrying and short-circuited...

In hindsight, I don't know how the hell I could ever think it was going to work.

Amazingly enough, I was able to convince the shop that it was a technical error in the motherboard that caused, and they sent me replacement parts of everything, without even wanting to examine the system :o
    lol ive never done that always scared ill forget one day! I love businesses that just take things back without even bothering to look it was like that when i got my ps2 years ago it was broken so i took if back and they never even wanted to check that it was broken before giving me another one :S

Quote Originally Posted by SPARTAN VI View Post
    I tried to fasten a heatsink to my old AthlonXP 2500+ without 1- thermal paste and 2- using zip ties. Yeah... that didn't work!
    lol zip ties? Why not use the screws??

Quote Originally Posted by Knight_Yellow View Post
    About two days ago after spending about 2 hours formating all my drives and installing windows... then managing to cut the power to the computer and finding that the primary hard drive had a boot error from the power cut.... reformat and reinstall!

back when i was 12, my gfx card fan was making a lot of noise so i stuffed blue tac into it and wondered why it overheat.
    lo blu tack how was that going to fix the noise LOL!

lol at the del tree and cd things in that pc tricks thing. hard to belive peoepl are so dumb.

Why would you want to overclock a celeron? It woudl only make it suck faster...
    A day without blood is like a day without sunshine.
    Member of S.I.N.

When i was pulling the lever on the heatsink the motherboard said "crraaack" i was silent for a moment then, Ahh its nearly done. that was 2 years ago. And im still using that motherboard with no problem.

MSI ftw
    check my "only 1 settlement" thread

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30259

i was doin a new pc and the great moment of introducing the cpu in the mainboard came around, just that i had the cpu rotated 180 degrees... so i was like pushin it & pushin it to get it in, lucky me that those amd sempron's are tough
    it still works after 2 years of runnin at 75 degrees C , since the first time i put the cooler 180 degrees rotated as well... and the cpu wasnt being cooled on half of it and the computer was like hanging after 15 mins... , but hey, like i said, it still works
    kohan2 - kings of war gamer
    kohan lord

Quote Originally Posted by ProudNerd View Post
    lo blu tack how was that going to fix the noise LOL!
    Well, the sound stopped.

But so did the fan.... due to the large mass of blue tac slapped round it.