Thread: Unbalanced wealth between cities/provinces

Icon5 Unbalanced wealth between cities/provinces

Hi guys, after having been beaten up in my last three campaigns with Rome in difficulty Normal/Normal I noted something:
    The wealth of the AI cities is far superior to mine at the beginning of the game (and even after actually).
    For example, this screenshot was taken a few turns after the campaign start, we can see that Genua (level 1 city with no improvement) has a wealth of 689 while Arretium, an equivalent city, has only a wealth of 144.

A single city has a wealth equivalent to the one of the whole province Italia! This is confirmed by the "provinces" window that shows the fact that AI provinces have a far more important wealth.
    Now I understand better why the AI can go around with several full stacks and navies while I struggled to defend my borders. Is it an intentional feature of DEI (maybe only specific to Rome)?

P.S These are the mods I use, theoretically none should have such a drastic effect:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=523249674

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Default Re: Unbalanced wealth between cities/provinces

Yes it is intentional. AI would be much weaker without and it is still very easy as Rome even on vh.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Feel free to ask if you need any advice, or read the basic strategy posts floating around the forum. You have to be doing something very wrong if you're struggling with Rome on normal.

It's not easy because I use the mod DEI Better Campain AI. With this mod, AI is absolutely not passive and form alliance against you.
    In my last campaign we were basically one half of the world against the other, the faction in my alliance started to by conquered so in the end I had the whole world against me.
    Try it, it's really hard but politics are very dynamic and entertaining.

The better campaign ai mod doesn't make things significantly more difficult for Rome. Infact, for me it actually made it easier because I didn't have to waste any time figuring out who I wanted to kill next.

Factions were just lining up at my doorstep to die.

But back onto the thread question.

What you're seeing is the AI's bonus income. Their city technically isn't making that much money. The minor AI factions get about a 500 per turn boost to income.

Take that 500 income boost away, and you'll have the same numbers in their cities as you have in yours.

Keep in mind 500 is only the upkeep of 2-3 good quality units, or 5 levy quality units. It isn't as much of an advantage as you might think for the AI.

Is the AI getting these bonuses even at easy difficulty? If not, I guess I'm just so terrible at the game that it feels like they are...which really is entirely possible, to be honest. If they ARE getting campaign bonuses, however...why? It's easy mode, so the AI being weak isn't a problem, right?

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by BMLlednar View Post
    Is the AI getting these bonuses even at easy difficulty? If not, I guess I'm just so terrible at the game that it feels like they are...which really is entirely possible, to be honest. If they ARE getting campaign bonuses, however...why? It's easy mode, so the AI being weak isn't a problem, right?
    I wouldnt be surprised that they also recieve some kind of bonus even on easy and this bonus will increase with the campaign difficulty. Without these bonusses the AI would simply crumble and you wouldnt just have an easy game, it would be plain boring as the AI would lose without you attacking them.

If you have problems with the mod try reading some of the guides. Though some are written for certain factions most of them would also apply to other factions aswell. --The use of dignitaries to increase income for a province while helping with public order and/or culture.
    -The use of generals as governors of cities, giving them traits to increase public order, income etc.
    -Battle tactics to decrease the amount of troops lost
    -Guides on how to build up provinces to become power houses

Actually the AI receives penalties on easy even with DeI.

Which means if you're losing as Rome on easy difficulty....

Well, we're here to give you tips if you have questions.

There are some bonuses even on Easy but not many, just very basic stuff. But compared with Normal (which is the basic setting), they do basically get penalties.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan_Moscavich View Post
    Which means if you're losing as Rome on easy difficulty....
    Well, we're here to give you tips if you have questions.
    Well, actually I'm losing as Egypt on easy difficulty. Rome seemed like the boring generic option. I'd ask for advice, but first I'd need to figure out what to ask for help WITH. Just saying "everything" isn't particularly useful. I'll try again when I have more time and see if I can pin down what I'm having the most trouble with.

You guys are just funny, so as Rome with 5 cities and rich(historically) Italia province (with gives me 950 gold per turn after building some improvements and Magna gives me 350) i'm at the same income as Genua with gives 1400!!!

This is stupid and ruining Rome campaning, as Carthage 1 year ago playing on DEI i didn't had any problem, as Egypt too but Rome is ** up in you'r mod Dresden, how i can conquer a city protected by 3500 field army and 3200 Garrison (another very bad thing in DEI, HUGE garrisons) .

Guy's and please don't start with you'r tips becuse i'm a veteran strategy player- and most of strategy games were TW ones, this is just stupid, if i woud like to play on hardcore level i woud pick some city state and play on vh/vh but playing on normal/hard and having a IMPOSSIBLE task to conquer a one villige protected by 40 units having much worse economy(this isn't balance, balance is when bigger,stronger factions are not massacred like they were in orginal Rome2 after relase).
    All Orks is equal, but some Orks are more equal dan uvvas.

If we had AI income equal player income the game would be a joke and there would be no challenge at all.

Yes Rome is a power house, and even more so in 1.1. But, we have also done a ton of campaign testing and balancing in 1.1. I think you guys will be pleasantly surprised.

Edit - Also, the bonus income for a faction is given to that faction's capital. That is why a single AI faction will have that income listed for their city, as that is where the income bonus is applied.
    Last edited by Dresden; October 25, 2015 at 08:30 PM.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Don't get me wrong, i think you'r mod is the best one on scene and i know how ** up are the limitations of Rome2 engine and how it suck it self... it woud not be a problem for me if i coud add to a 4000-5000 gold to Rome at begining of campaing or 700-800 income bonus in italy province, but there are no cheats for Rome2 so i think my campaing will be nightmare, but i'll try.

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

But there are.. you can easily add an extra income just by a small change in the db files

Thanks but theres a new version of DEI, 1.1 and after i did read new changes...i'm gonna play the hell out of this mod tooday after i come back from trening, gonna find the way (but i did read that the minor factions were weaken in some steam topic so good for me ).

Thank you so much!

Junaidi83 de Bodemloze's Avatar Dont Mess With Me

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    If we had AI income equal player income the game would be a joke and there would be no challenge at all.
    Not agree at all. The good Campaign AI is the AI that able to beat human player with the same exact money player have , the true AI testing itself was tested with both condition bonus set as 1 mean there is no bonus at all. And by that we can clearly see how the AI behave and what tweaks should be done, either from budget, cai logic etc etc.

If the AI able to beat player with no bonus at all , and that will be masacre for human player if the AI get some bonus. This is the basic concept of modding CAI. Bonus itself only work to faster the process.

Same like chess game, the AI is being able to beat player with same amount of piece. The game will be joke however, if AI only smart because its have money. Strip the bonus and we can see how well the AI perform its job.
    Modding is like accursed wine, you try a sip and you ended empty the whole glass
    Under Proud Patronage of Shankbot de Bodemloze

The AI performs poorly without the bonus, are you disagreeing that unmodded vanilla Rome II CAI is good when it has zero bonuses? What are you even saying?