Thread: On Why Cavalry Always End Up Better When Charging Spearmen From The Front?

Default On Why Cavalry Always End Up Better When Charging Spearmen From The Front?

Yeah, I meant, it might be rational if an elite heavily armoured cavalry taking down the footmen of Harad or Orcs even from the front, but while we're at it, even the lowliest Rohan Spear riders are also fares greatly when directly taking down spearmen from the front.

Usually this kind of thing are suicide in another mods I've played so far, but it was all started by Spears of The Shadow dominant Adunabar army attacking my all cavalry army as Rohan. After spending most of the Scouts arrows, I decides to sacrifice three Rohan spears and wheeling up the others to overwhelm the spears from the flank.

and somehow the 62-64 men Rohan Spear cavalry charging down into braced heavy spears... and I watch in awe as they only suffer small casualities (all has more than 57 men left in each unit), while the Spearmen get immediately slain in almost a third of their numbers (in 40s from 60s heavy spears, and in 60s from 100s with the grim spear). Keep in mind that the Rohan spears charged from the front and I'm not charging the rest of the cavalry yet (they do later and they broke, resulting in heroic victory)

I remembered playing another mod and usually, this is the very recipe of cavalry suicide, but still, for somewhat reasons (Decidedly Tookish battle difficulty), the Adunabar spearmen took a very loopsided casualities even when they're bracing for the impact (usually, in another mod, the bracing spearmen means they will take little casualities while the charging cavalry is utterly slaughtered)... so?

*And yes, maybe this is Rohan's speciality or things... I end up simply charging from the front more afterwards...

Default Re: On Why Cavalry Always End Up Better When Charging Spearmen From The Front?

Usually spear units have the light_spear attribute, which reflects the charge bonus back to the mounted unit, if the spearmen are 'braced'. That attribute also comes with specific hardcoded bonuses (+8 vs all mounts, -4 vs all infantry). We wanted greater flexibility for our bonuses/penalties, so we removed it and replaced it with direct attack bonuses vs certain types of mounts. That makes spearmen in DoM worse when it comes to receiving charges compared to how things work in vanilla. There are other factors in play though, such as unit stats, cavalry/infantry mass (which helps units push through one another), etc, and this is something we can review, if they seem unbalanced.

Default Re: On Why Cavalry Always End Up Better When Charging Spearmen From The Front?

Oh well, that explained the result though.
    So that was deliberate mod features here then? I also noticed that most cavalry actually has bonus vs riders too, so maybe this mod was more into Cavalry countered with another cavalry rather than the usual "Spearmen braced in good formations protect against cavalry attack?".

MasterOfNone's Avatar RTW Modder 2004-2015

This area of stats (cavalry and spearmen) has also changed quite a bit since the open-beta was released...
    "One of the most sophisticated Total War mods ever developed..."
    The Fourth Age: Total War - The Dominion of Men

oh well, I do hope that at least the heavier version of spears will get the ability to absorb cavalry charge without getting slaughtered. Looking Easterling Warband broken over a light cavalry charge is reasonabe, if stretching, looking at how Spears of The Shadow basically devastated from receiving a frontal light cavalry charge is ridiculous.

But yeah, right now, playing this mod means you're best using another cavalry unit to tie up enemy cavalry before sending spearmen to stab them down once they are bogged down in fight, and not the otherwise (use spearmen to hold things before flank with another cavalry)