Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: paleologos workshop link

Default Re: paleologos workshop link

It's good to see that you are back on business! I don't really get on too much on the details as they are barely perceptible in-game, but it's great to have this kind of criticism as you become a better artist overall. Seeing the overall comments you have been receiving.
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Araval's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by paleologos View Post
    The normal and glossiness map for the latest accessories are finished.
    I am currently working on the insignia patches of the non color coded arming coats.

This is a view of the preliminary version (just for Norway this time):

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I think I should add some stitching on it.
    Opinions?
    Stiching would do good I think. Can you try more faded or grittier colours for it?

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

Is there anyone who believes they would be better without faction insignia at all?

You could make a version without the faction insignia too (or a slave/mercenary faction unit without any insignia).
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

I think they would look much better without the insignia.

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

Blog Entries

It depend if you want to be accurate or not. If yes, I really don't think they had such kind of signs in battle to recognize themselves. Before uniforms appeared, it was more a simple sign like a small cross on the heart or behing the shoulder or a coloured armband.
    On the other hand, gameplay wise, it may help. But in that case, I think that it should be smaller.
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

I appreciate you all taking the time to post on this.
    I'll experiment and decide.

I am pleased to share with you the first in-game screenshots from the first test of the tweaked models, these are De Hautevile Normans:

My observations:

The first thing that hit me was that the game seems to be overusing that horizontal crescent shaped face guard.
    You can see in the first two images that way too many soldiers feature it but it was supposed to be a rare piece.
    I am orienting towards getting rid of it altogether as there is not way to control how frequently it will appear.

The second thing that I observe (first image) is that the slack pieces of the belts get intersected by the lower parts of the gambesons.
    That is never an intention.

The third observation is that some of the belt bags are flatter than what I would like.

The fourth observation is that the new hoses textures look very nice, though the UV mapping on a couple of them needs tweaking.

Five, the new belts look fine and the passive falchions also look fine.

Six, I think the normal maps on some of the canteens are more intense than ideal.

Seven, it seems to me that the gambesons might benefit from a slight toning down of their normals as well.

Eight, the new shoes look ok but it bothers me that they seem to sink a little through the floor.
    I wonder if I should raise the entire model a bit, or just the shoes.

Nine, I am thinking I should shorten the sleeves of the gambesons just a tad to avoid intersection with the elbow hook.

I am looking forward to the observations, comments and recommendations of fellow artists, gamers and friends.
    Don't be shy and don't worry about hurting me feelings, I have a thick skin.

kostic's Avatar Domesticus

Very nice rendering for the textures of clothes, shields and others ...

My opinion :
    The nasal fins (winged nasals) seem quite curious and impractical ...
    Your attention to detail should not make you forget the general aspect. A type of "rare" helmet reproduced in several copies in the unit becomes a "standard" helmet in the game. I had the same problem with certain helmets in my mod. To meditate.

Louis Lux's Avatar Into the Light
    Patrician

Great work. The things that stick out to me are the strong normals on the gambesons and the shoes intersecting with the floor. Shorter sleeves would look better too.

I'm curious about the equipment frequency, I would imagine having a lot more copies of the standard face guard would make the crescent one rarer.

The first thing that hit me was that the game seems to be overusing that horizontal crescent shaped face guard.
    You can see in the first two images that way too many soldiers feature it but it was supposed to be a rare piece.
    I am orienting towards getting rid of it altogether as there is not way to control how frequently it will appear.
    It probably works better when seen in 3d, but in some of those views it looks a bit like something odd painted on the face
    I'd either lose it as you suggested - or make it more of a solid colour, so it's more obviously a one-piece thing in front of the face...

I like the texture/normals for the padding on the gambesons - but if they're staying like that think it needs a manipulated shadow and/or highlighted ridge on the padding under the belts to make them look like they're interacting properly.

Quote Originally Posted by makanyane View Post
    It probably works better when seen in 3d...
    It does.
    What bothers me is that in spite of the great variety of nose guards the game's algorithm on occasion gets obsessed with one of the groups.

...but in some of those views it looks a bit like something odd painted on the face
    I know what you mean but it only looks like that in the screenshots.

I'd either lose it as you suggested - or make it more of a solid colour, so it's more obviously a one-piece thing in front of the face...
    I can't make it a solid color as they are UV mapped on the same part of the texture as the metallic parts of the helmets.
    I'll just delete the thing.

I like the texture/normals for the padding on the gambesons...
    Me too, I put a lot of work into them, yet -at least- the "lozenge" needs to be toned down a bit, the way I see it in the latest screenshots.

...but if they're staying like that think it needs a manipulated shadow and/or highlighted ridge on the padding under the belts to make them look like they're interacting properly.
    I know what you mean and I would have done it, if it was possible.
    It isn't possible because of the way they are UV mapped.
    When I release them you may download them and see what I mean.

In any case, thank you for posting here.

Akar's Avatar I am not a clever man
    Patrician Citizen

a 7/11 parking lot with Patron and LaCroix
    Blog Entries

All around very nice work, Paleo. I'm very impressed. But since you love nitpicking and pedantry, here we go

I would get rid of them, I'm not a big fan of their frequency or appearance.

Belt bags did turn out a bit flat.

Seven, it seems to me that the gambesons might benefit from a slight toning down of their normals as well.
    I think all of them look great except the white ones. Those are a tad bright I think.

Nine, I am thinking I should shorten the sleeves of the gambesons just a tad to avoid intersection with the elbow hook.
    I don't see what you mean i'm afraid.

Eight, the new shoes look ok but it bothers me that they seem to sink a little through the floor.
    I wonder if I should raise the entire model a bit, or just the shoes.
    Could always try both, I suppose, if it's not too much work.

Don't be shy and don't worry about hurting me feelings, I have a thick skin.
    ur fat and ur face is a butt

Check out the TWC D&D game!
    Message me on Discord (.akar.) for an invite to the Thema Devia Discord
    Son, Heir, and Wartime Consigliere of King Athelstan

jurcek1987's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Raise the shoes slightly higher, that's what I do in my models and shorten the sleeves yes. The gambeson looks fantastic in my opinion, so does the the entire model. The attention to detail is incredible

Thanks.
    I'll try raising the entire model first and see if that works.

Marble Emperor's Avatar Tiro

I have to second jurcek, the model looks beautiful, the texture work is just top notch. The face guard helmet looks pretty cool, although if it is meant to be rare, it might be better to reserve it for knightly units and higher tiers.

b0Gia de Bodemloze's Avatar Europa Barbarorum Dev

Wow amazing quality, congrats
    Under the Patronage of Veteraan.
    Proud member of Europa Barbarorum 2 team, developer of EBNOM, developer of EB 1.21, developer of Diadochi Total War, developer of Hegemonia City States and creator of one modpack for Megas Alexandros.

I put in some work to fix the issues that were noted before.

The annoying oversized face guard is gone, the hoses UV mapping has been fixed and the gambeson sleeves are shortened but it seems not enough.
    What I discovered is shoe related.
    I did raise the shoes but whether they will look as if they are standing on solid ground or not depends on the battlemap model of the ground or building.

I have some more work to do with the bone weights of the vertices on the beltbags and the belt slacks and then I'll tweak slightly the normals that need tweaking.

PeaMan's Avatar Winter Is Coming

The gambeson and its textures are looking great, good job my man.