Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win10, 7, 8 fixes

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

Default Win10, 7, 8 fixes

Following the introduction of Windows 10 many players of Rome Total War have been unable to start their favorite game. When clicking on the launcher they get a message saying "log in as admin and try again", but doing so didn't start the game neither. With the recent update of 08/09/2015 the same problem is reported also for Windows 7 and Windows 8, and as a result the original installation of many old games is not working, including Rome Total War and our mod Rome Total History.

The reason for this inconvenience is described in detail in the following page (dating from early august): https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...61d40d4?auth=1

Microsoft has adressed the concern only after a month offering the following solution: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3086255

From this it appears clear that they have no intention to take further steps in order to make our old games compatible again, and thus every player ís left to find a solution of his own.

Since the problem affects first of all the disc version of the game, as far as I know, there are currently three viable solutions:

1. Redeem your non-CD-version of the game on Steam

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    Here is a guide line how to redeem the CD key on Steam, never mind its for M2TW.

2. Reactivate the disabled driver following the Microsoft instructions

This appears to be working only in Windows 7 and 8, and Microsoft warns that there may be security issues.

In short, you need to open a command prompt with administrator rights. To do so click on start and write "cmd" in the search field. Then a window with the programme will pop up. Right click on cmd and select "Run as administrator". Allow the programme to alter your computer. When the black screen pops up type the following lines:

Quote Originally Posted by Grimwred View Post
    To get RTW working, open a command prompt as administrator and then type two following commands :

sc config secdrv start= auto
    sc start secdrv
    You should press Enter after you type each command.

When you start your first battle with the new version, you may find that the performance is quite underwhelming, but after a minute or two it will catch up and be as good as the original.

These solutions work fine with Windows 7 and Windows 8, but under Windows 10 there may be more problems, as discussed here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...and-Windows-10

I hope this was helpful. Let me know if you encounter difficulties or have other solutions.

This solution offered by Philidelphos in the RTH forum.

Solution #3 should also fix the problem with Steam versions of RTW\BI\Alex.
    But be sure to back up the originals...or better yet (as I have, both the RTW and Alex directories elsewhere).

Also, see here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tice-please%29

or here:

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-windows10-FIX
    Last edited by Tango12345; June 07, 2016 at 05:47 AM. Reason: illegal activities reference removed

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

Default Re: Win10, 7, 8 fixes

I will add and offer here something I've obviously mentioned before - but will, of course, give everyone a full solution if it is practicable for you and you own the disk(s).

Get an old PC - it doesn't need to be special. Fastest (single core is fine) processor you can get (greater than 2.6 GHz - mine is 3). An old but compatible graphics card (0.5Mb is fine) and ~4Mb of RAM. And use, especially if you have the disks, Win XP SP3. I've given/sold mine to my local PC man who supports me.

Never connect this PC to the internet - only transfer in RSII updates. And enjoy RTW/RSII as much as you like.

It's not a solution for everyone - but it's gloriously simple. It will almost (RTW has the occasional bug and RSII probably a hidden couple remaining) never crash.
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

So is it safe? And I need to down load the Disks after, because they have errors.
    If we load on steam, you can't add the Mod. Unless that changes.
    DVK, what is best for our situation? 2 or 3?
    Thanks.

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

dvk901's Avatar Consummatum est
    Patrician

I'm working on it SW.

Creator of: "Ecce, Roma Surrectum....Behold, Rome Arises!"
    R.I.P. My Beloved Father

tungri_centurio's Avatar Senator

think i need to get my old pc out of the basement then.
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

HMonk's Avatar Decanus

For me all I did was uninstall MS security update for win7 and 8x and RS works fine. (3086255)
    The Best Computer is Your Computer!

how do you do that?
    Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. -Marcus Aurelius

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

tungri if you mean how to uninstall MS 3086255 go to control panel > system & security > windows update > view windows updates.....right click said update and uninstall.

Saul Tyre's Avatar Senator

I did it this way...1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. Locate and then click the following subkey in the registry:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\secdrv
    3. Right-click Start, and then click Modify.
    4. In the Value data box, Type 4 to disable the driver’s service, and then click ok
    5. Exit Registry Editor.
    6. Enjoy playing game again

thanks rambellon. uninstalled and old games work again.
    but when i download any mod for any game my malwarebytes blocks them all.
    but antivirus does not report any virusses.so i think it's save
    Last edited by tungri_centurio; October 14, 2015 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks DVK, BTW we down loaded RTW/ Sparta/ Greeks/ 2 on steam. Not too bad. Did they get some ideas from us?
    We can wait.

Roma Surrectum Greek/Spartan Researcher/Tester.

Hey, guys. I just thought I'd share my experience with RTW and RS2 on windows 10. I bought a new computer about a month and a half ago with windows 8 and my RTW on steam did work, but attempting to use steam with RS2 was a failure (I didn't spend much time looking for workarounds so it was probably on me more than anything). I previously had a non-steam digital copy that I used to get around this problem with my old computer, but unfortunately I wasn't able to re-download it from the source website I bought it from as they only sell steam codes for RTW now. Anyways, this last week I upgraded to windows 10 and bought a physical dvd copy of the RTW Anthology from amazon, and I'm happy to report that RS2 runs fine with absolutely no workarounds necessary for me (I assume vanilla RTW is the same but I haven't even loaded it up to be honest). I'm not sure if it's because I'm using a dvd version (all 3 games install from the same disc) as compared to one of the old cd versions, or if it's because of some update Microsoft has put out since, but I just wanted to share that physical copies of the game should probably still be a working option if my experience is anything to go by.

Cheers for this DVK901 ...
    All works a treat now !

I tried Rambellon's and DVK's suggestions. Nothing.

I have Windows 10 and I can't get my old disc copies of the game to work, install, or anything. I just get the InstallShield error. There's nothing in my registry even called "secdrv", none of the command prompt lines have gotten results.

I MISS MY GAME!!!!

I got a computer and installed windows 8.1 onto it. I then put the machine on an internal network that I have in my home that is not connected to the internet in anyway so I do not have to worry about security on it. I installed Roma surrectum and a few other old games and having the time of my life.

If I have to scarfice an old computer with descent specs on to it just to play Roma Surrectum then so be it.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    I got a computer and installed windows 8.1 onto it. I then put the machine on an internal network that I have in my home that is not connected to the internet in anyway so I do not have to worry about security on it. I installed Roma surrectum and a few other old games and having the time of my life.

If I have to scarfice an old computer with descent specs on to it just to play Roma Surrectum then so be it.
    More subjective evidence - although I'm curious as to why you connected it to your private network at all; and how your other PCs get their updates these days.....
    "RTW/RS VH campaign difficulty is bugged out (CA bug that never got fixed) and thus easier than Hard so play on that instead" - apple

RSII 2.5/2.6 Tester and pesky irritant to the Team. Mucho praise for long suffering dvk'.

alQamar's Avatar Citizen

This one should help Steam Users of Rome 1 to get their game running again with Windows 10. The solution was brought by HazardHawk and I've written a guide on that:
    Feel free to add this to the OP.
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=469123565

Last edited by alQamar; April 23, 2016 at 12:47 AM.
    NEW: Total War Saga: Britannia benchmark thread - last update: 10.05.2018
    HOW-TO-step-up-from-MBR-CSM-LEGACY-BOOT-to-UEFI-GPT
    Many of my past contributions in the time from 2011-2017 will contain content that now show broken links. Unfortunately I had to delete all pictures linked on TWC that were hosted on imageshack.us. Read why
    If you are missing anything of interest, please let me know. Sorry for any inconvinience caused.

~Seleukos.I.Nikator~'s Avatar Campidoctor
    The United Europe, currently residing in Norway

Quote Originally Posted by DoogansQuest View Post
    I tried Rambellon's and DVK's suggestions. Nothing.

I have Windows 10 and I can't get my old disc copies of the game to work, install, or anything. I just get the InstallShield error. There's nothing in my registry even called "secdrv", none of the command prompt lines have gotten results.

I MISS MY GAME!!!!
    Have you tried NOCD version? I'm running RSII on my Windows 7 system and never had any problems with it, even though I regularly install official Microsoft updates.

Well, I had it working again until I updated my GPU to a pair of GTX 970's. Now this is the one game (again) that won't work.

As an extreme case in my case.
    I got a semi old computer and put a descent graphics card on it and a dual core processor.
    Put Windows 10 on to it and then disable to Secure ROM check through command line.
    I then have this computer on a VLAN in my house that has no access to the internet. I am using this computer only for old school gaming.

Now I can play Rome Total war and all other old games with no worries of my computer being comprised.
    Last edited by century x; June 15, 2016 at 05:46 PM.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast