Thread: civitas libera or provincia romana

Default civitas libera or provincia romana

According to the title: in your opinion, what is better (and why) between civitas libera and provincia romana?
    Does provincia romane allows the contruction of more building than civitas libera, thus improving more a region?

Default Re: civitas libera or provincia romana

The provincia doesn't allow you to recruit any troops, so in any practical scenario it's pretty rubbish. Being able to recruit local levies for garrison and providing auxilia to legions mobilizing fast and on the move is pretty crucial, it's a huge nuisance and not worthwhile to abdicate from that and forcing regionals from other regions into your inflexible settlement.

delra's Avatar Praepositus

Wherever it's available (Greece or whatever), CivLibera until you run out of decent buildings (and deal with unrest), then Provincia.

Being Romans you'll train your troops in Italy and retrain them there as well. So just invest in some ships after you make the leap to Provincia rather than counting on local (typically rubbish anyway) troops.

I only keep Libera in a couple strategic points like Lilibeo, but that's mostly for role-playing value. My own little "sertorisms" (people who read Quintus' AAR for EB1 will understand). :-)

Wonder how it's going to change after the Autumn release.
    Last edited by delra; October 07, 2015 at 01:47 AM.

At least until the Marian Reforms, Romans didn't really keep Romans detached in high numbers (to compose a battle unit) in foreign regions after the pacification process, the locals had their own regional troops, their own defenses. These regions weren't "occupied", that's why they could be called allied states, even if their real status ranged from vassal to more liberal relations.
    So, you do train your campaigning legions in Italy and retrain them there, yeah, the troops you recruit in civlibera are meant to act purely as garrisons and occasionally as allied troops to bring along with legions as part of the allied contingent, not independent armies that are launched from the region to conquer other neighbours. This is both roleplay accurate, and practical.

I'd have to go back and look at how it's structured, but I think the whole point of the provinc is to host military colonies - that's where you get your recruitment in there from. However, you can't send them outside of Italy until the Marian reform. In the meantime, if you are in the provinces, you should be using Allied Governments or civlib. After all, Rome doesn't desire to directly control those places, merely ensure the government they do have is amenable to Roman interests.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    I'd have to go back and look at how it's structured, but I think the whole point of the provinc is to host military colonies - that's where you get your recruitment in there from. However, you can't send them outside of Italy until the Marian reform. In the meantime, if you are in the provinces, you should be using Allied Governments or civlib. After all, Rome doesn't desire to directly control those places, merely ensure the government they do have is amenable to Roman interests.
    Mmm, I don't understand what you mean: military colonies cannot be built outside of "italy" (those seven regions from central to southern italy), so if I use everywhere provincia instead of allied government or free city, I could recruit units only in Italy. Or I am wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by AncalagonBlack View Post
    Mmm, I don't understand what you mean: military colonies cannot be built outside of "italy" (those seven regions from central to southern italy), so if I use everywhere provincia instead of allied government or free city, I could recruit units only in Italy. Or I am wrong?
    You'll get no recruitment from the provinc building regardless of where you build it. The only difference is that inside of Italy (before the Marian reforms) you can build military colonies, which give you Roman units.

Outside of Italy (again, before the Marian reforms) you can't send military colonies, meaning you have no recruitment of any kind.

You'll get no recruitment from the provinc building regardless of where you build it. The only difference is that inside of Italy (before the Marian reforms) you can build military colonies, which give you Roman units.
    Ok, I got the point!

Outside of Italy (again, before the Marian reforms) you can't send military colonies, meaning you have no recruitment of any kind.
    Do you mean that in the autumn release there will be the Marian reform???

I said nothing at all about the autumn release.