Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [UNITS] The Britons

Willhelm123's Avatar Decanus

Default [UNITS] The Britons

Introduction and Explanation

The Britons were a people inhabiting the British Isles from the Iron age onwards. They inhabited all of modern day England, Wales, and some of lower Scotland. They were a Celtic people who spoke a Celtic language called Common Brittonic. However their culture was not identical to the Celts of mainland Europe, such as Gaul. This was primarily due to being isolated from the mainland, though not totally isolated as trade and travel occurred, but isolated enough to create a difference in culture. It's believed that the Britons represented a more traditional Celtic culture from the earlier La Tene period, whereas the mainland Celts, no doubt with influence from the Romans and Greeks, had a slightly more advanced and less traditional Celtic culture. This means that for the Britons in our period their culture is still heavily divided on the old Celtic class system, and militarily with a heavy influence on champion combat and ritual warfare.

The class divisions of the Britons Celtic culture were the Unfree, the Free, and the Nobles. The unfree were what today you'd call peasants or serfs, they weren't slaves in the traditional sense, but they were tied to the land and had to farm it for their lord, who in turn offered them protection. The unfree were not warriors but could fight if the need was great enough. The Free Class were men who were not tied to any land or lord, and could do as they wanted, hence the name. They would be the tradesmen, the smiths, and other similar occupations of the period. Freemen would form their own warbands and fight together but they didn't have as much emphasis on being a warrior as the noble class. The Nobles were the final class, these were the land owning wealthy tribal chiefs, leaders and their extended families. This class was actually quite large. Some people believe that traditionally only this class were allowed to be warriors, and while this isn't true for our period it's still true that they had a huge warrior culture, with every noble aspiring to become a great and famous hero through many battles. Nobles, and occasionally Freemen, would become patrons to other nobles, sometimes called a retainer. These men would follower the higher ranking noble as bodyguards, while he in return would provide them with better equipment and chances for glory and honour in battle.

The name Briton was originally with a P, something like Priton, which survived in the name of the Picts who lived in modern day Scotland. Briton means "Picture, Painted, Tattoo", and it's likely that the modern word "Picture" shares the same origin. They have this name because the Britons used to paint their bodies with woad and other dyes, into elaborate and no doubt religious patterns. This was one of their defining traits and comes up in many ancient accounts. This does not mean every warrior was Painted but certainly a good amount. The Britons also liked to fight naked, like many other Celts. This also seems to have had religious reasons, or perhaps a show of bravery. If not naked most Britons will wear their regular Celtic clothing into battle, wealthier warriors can afford armour such as chainmail, which is native to the Celts. It may have been imported to Britain or made locally, probably both. Helmets were fairly popular, generally being quite simple Celtic designs such as the Coolus or Montefortinos. The most common weapon was the spear, but the most prized weapon was the Longsword, with religious meaning tied to it. Most nobles could probably afford a Longsword, perhaps choosing between getting the sword or getting armour, whereas most freemen and probably all unfree would have to settle for spears.

The Units

Unfree Class

Levied Spearmen and Spear Militia
    The basic troop provided by the Unfree classes would be simple spearmen, little to no armour, spears and celtic shields, they can't afford nor deserve swords. As Briton society advances they would develop into a more permanent militia.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Slingers
    Sling stones are found all over Britain especially in hillforts in huge numbers, the sling was a very popular weapon especially for defense, and would have dominated long range warfare considering archery was almost non existant. Even so its a weapon which would have largely been left to the unfree, not worthy or honourably in a nobles eyes.

Archers
    For unknown reasons archery was extremely rare in the British isles, it is only during the very late iron age do we begin to find arrow heads, so it seems archers finally started to existing in this late period probably due to external influence. For those reasons this unit is a late game unit.

Free Class

Briton Dog Handlers
    Historical evidence exists for the use of Molossus dogs in warfare among the Britons, particularly Caesars invasion of Britain. They were also a famous iron age export from the British Isles, being used across the ancient world. It would be the free class who would train, sell and use these dogs.

Free Spears
    A Freemen Spearband is essentially the Freemen version of the traditional Celtic warband, these young men have given up their mundane lives to strike it out as a band of warriors, giving their service to whoever will pay, though this life is not as glorified as being a noble swordsman, they are still a valuable asset on the battlefield. They are fairly well equipped with helmets and basic leather armours.

Naked spearmen
    The Free can see the honour and glory in fighting naked just like the Nobles. They are culturally the same as the Free Spears unit, but have naturally banded together with like minded men who want to fight nude to form their own group.

Free Swords
    This unit culturally is identical to the Free Spears but they use shortswords, which became more common and available to the lower classes in the later period. They still do not use the prestigious long sword reserved for the noble classes however.

Noble Class

Chieftain and Tribal Leader
    The leader of a Celtic clan or tribe would be a wealthy nobleman, surrounded by the wealthiest and most famous nobles of his particular group, this would be a formidable force in battle, the very best of the Briton warriors in equipment and valour. These units will be your generals.

Naked Fanatics
    Many sources note that some Britons would fight totally naked, just like other Celts. It's not quite known why they would do this, it seems to be a mixture of things, such as a show of bravery, an attempt to intimidate the enemy, or a trust in the gods rather than armour. Whatever the reasons these men are as brave as they come, and fanatical in battle.

Warband, Early and Late
    The warband was the primary and most famous fighting force of the Britons. These men are the typical Briton warriors, made up of young and old nobles with good equipment, each one accompanied by a select group of personal oathsworn bodyguards, who would have varying levels of equipment depending on their nobles wealth. They are warrior aristocrats, they live to fight and all dream of becoming great and famous warriors. The late version adopts more armour as it becomes more common in the later period.

Briton Light Horsemen
    As time went on in Briton chariots began to fall more and more out of favour, being replace by simply riding the horse itself. You would need to be a wealthy man to own a horse, but most Briton cavalry men would ride light, with little to no armour, throwing javelins before charging.

Briton Cavalry
    Heavier cavalry seems to have been adopted after increased contact with mainland celts. The riders would wear their armour while mounted and use stronger horses, perhaps imported. The horses would wear some armour, indicated by archeological finds of horse armour, but usually just over the head. This unit combines the warrior spirit of the Briton noble with a spear and a strong horse behind it.

Heroes

Celtic Briton like many warrior cultures had a strong tradition of heroes. The Heroes or Champions of Briton would be older warriors famous across the land or in their tribe for their heroic deeds in many battles. It could take a life time to become a hero. These men are highly skilled in battle and form an elite unit. Priding themselves on their honour and courage, they fight with traditional duelling shields long abandoned by most Briton warriors. These shields prove ones skill in battle, but in realistic terms offer little protection.

Chariots
    Light war chariots were still in use in Britain well after being abandoned by the mainland Celts. They would be used to transport noble warriors to the battlefield, or to harry, skirmish and terrify their enemies. They could be used in a charge but due to being quite light this would only work against scattered or light foes.

Druid Warband
    Druids were known to fight and appear in accounts of historical battles, such as the invasion of the Island of Mona, a druid stronghold. It's highly unlikely to have an entire unit of druids however, so this unit is simply some druids accompanied by their fanatical religious followers, who adorn themselves in extreme warpaint and cult clothing. This unit is half the size of a normal unit, it's main value is it's inspirational effect on the battlefield, giving a morale boost to any nearby Briton unit.

Briton Youths
    This unit is comprised of the sons and young adults of the noble class. They are eager for battle but too inexperienced to join the main melee, so it was common for them to get initial experience in battle acting as skirmisher troops, getting to see battle up close, but not close enough to die before their prime, in theory of course.

Unit cards will be coming soon.

Credits
    We would like to thank the Divide et Impera team for many of the unit components seen above. Access to their massive unit resources sped up the creation process of these units a great deal and proved to be invaluable. Their fantastic work paved the way for us.
    Divide et Impera TWC Forum
    We would also like to thank the Age of Bronze team for freely supplying some of the assets seen in this preview, which also greatly sped up the process.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...e-%28TW-AoB%29

AE Dev, mainly units

Linke's Avatar Hazarapatish

Default Re: [Preview] The Britons

They look so intimidating. I would absolutely play British just to have these warriors!

Smiling Hetairoi's Avatar Semisalis

Do I see breasts on the druids with beards?

No definitely not. Not at all. Nope.

Yes, it's the female civilian dress, the only long gown in the game. It's not overly noticeable i thought
    AE Dev, mainly units

Dontfearme22's Avatar Campidoctor

I really like the tunics for all the lower level Britons, very realistic. Altogether really well done. +rep!

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Hello guys, good work as always

I've a question, since I think these images are from Rome II, did you guys make Attila ones too or?

All these images are taken in Attila. They look much better in Attila lighting.
    AE Dev, mainly units

SharpEyed's Avatar Be Fair and Thankful!

Ah my bad. Since you said DeI and AoB, I thought.. yea.
    Anyway thanks for the clarification

PhilipO'Hayda's Avatar Vicarius

Take a look at this!!! just taken away by how great they look and how much great History has been put in here. Great work and thank you.

Irish Historical adviser for Albion:Total war

They are very good looking units and one unit has many types of soldiers.I should say I'm impressed.

What are the implications of the three social classes? Will they be tied to a manpower system or other aspect of the campaign? Also, are you doing the units from scratch? I thought the DEI team had authorized you to use their hundreds of units.

Btw the druids are really intimidating, I wouldn't want to fight anybody with such a badass beard. Nice job guys.

It's mainly incredibly helpful when making a roster to understand the culture and system behind it. We don't know how we will implement the class system in game yet but for example. for the Arabs we have a Settled and Nomadic division, so Settled Arabs will be recruitable from a city only, while the nomadic only from the smaller settlements which will represent their moving villages in the region. For Britain we could do something similar, with nobles being from perhaps the main settlement while the free and unfree come from farms and villages. But we haven't decided anything solid yet.

DeI lets us use all their assets but we're not simply importing their already completed units, we're making our own rosters and unit appearances, it's just a case of using their models and textures if we need to. Much of these Britons use Rome 2 resources which look much better in Attila's lighting.
    AE Dev, mainly units

There will be quite a few DeI units ported over directly. UMC has started doing it with AoR units. A lot of DeI components have been worked into past previews, but William really designs his own rosters. Some of the stuff put out recently in previews was also started a while back (Seleucids, and the upcoming Macedon preview as examples).

Depending on who ends up making some faction units, a whole lot will be pulled directly from DeI. We have actually made real fast progress on units since the merger. Faster than I anticipated in large part to DeI elements.

In terms of classes, they will be linked to buildings as we plan it. I'm not 100% on how we will work unit caps as there are a few methods. I know people complained a lot about it when DeI had them on, though I personally preferred it that way. Ideally economic factors would be apart. Population - we don't really get that option, and the best method of mimicking it is unit caps.

One thing we could end up doing is tiered units based on class. Its imperfect, but the higher tiers could have expanded unit caps to reflect expansion. Then these could also be tied to imperium through scripts.

Or, we could just try and go with a straight economic approach. You can't recruit because you don't have the cash.

Combinations also work. So, over time ideally you'd be reliant upon the lower classes to form the bulk. Mostly unarmored. By the end game perhaps the lower class get better equipment (this after expansion). So as you build up a settlement and hit more of an 'urban' phase in development, you have more armor and swordsmne.

One final final note is if you break up barbs by tribe, this would allow for units caps and a more stable 'population' type feature. You'd have to expand and conquer to get access to more men. Some tribes would have access to more units. So, if you are the Iceni, you have an Iceni noble unit with a cap of 4 or something. If you conquer a neighboring tribe, they have a separate noble unit that is similar with its own unit cap. Basically it would be like AOR. The main issue with this is the amount of work (though its mostly DB entries). WE can't really differentiate tribes too much aesthetically in many cases with the exception being the Iberians who sources provide some nice details on.

I've never been a huge fan of hard cap limits where you can train X number of units and that's it but also armies of 100% elite units aren't ideal either. I prefer a mixture of both. A unit cap limits which grows with the number of regions you control or your imperium do sounds much better, ABH2.

Other option would be the Medieval 2 system, where there was a pool of units availabe for recruitment in each region and after recruiting them you had to wait a few turns for more to become available. The more elite the unit the less available units there were per region and the more turns you have to wait for them to replentish. And getting more regions and upgrading military buildings enlarged your pool of units. Given that mercenaries have a similar mechanic in Attila, with regional pools of units, I think it might be possible to implent it for regular units.

Another option used by the Rome 2 Greeks at war mod is that you can recruit elite units at their regular prices but you have to take care of them. If your armies get wiped and you want to recruit them again they will be more expensive and take more turns, to reflect the decrease of manpower in your cities. I suppose that after some years the prices and turns will go down again, to represent a new generation reaching adulthood.

The division of settled and nomad arabs also sounds cool. I imagine it could be tied to small and large settlements but also to buildings. Like goat farms giving you nomads, wheat fields giving peasant spears, industry buildings giving your armoured units or swordsmen, palaces giving you nobles, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rem123456 View Post
    Another option used by the Rome 2 Greeks at war mod is that you can recruit elite units at their regular prices but you have to take care of them. If your armies get wiped and you want to recruit them again they will be more expensive and take more turns, to reflect the decrease of manpower in your cities. I suppose that after some years the prices and turns will go down again, to represent a new generation reaching adulthood.
    I wonder how they did that? Sounds awesome! I would quite like to use that if we could.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Quote Originally Posted by Petellius View Post
    I wonder how they did that? Sounds awesome! I would quite like to use that if we could.
    I'm in the team as beta tester Petellius, you should ask to Phalangitis. He is the creator of campaign and battle mechanism. We created a proper phalanx formation too wich is the best representation of a phalanx as never seen before.

I usually hate "magic abilities" in TW games but I like the druid part is awesome providing morale boosts like generals do. It just seems to fit really well with british celts.

Yeah i agree, it doesn't feel like magic, we know generals would keep soldiers morale up, so a bunch of their sacred priests behind them surely would. Druids can also chant to scare enemies, which is based off the Druids on Mona doing some chanting which terrified the Romans halting their charge for a while.
    AE Dev, mainly units

Very nice units, my favorites are the druids and it's good to finally see some chariots in attila ! I can't wait for the mainland celts, are they going to be only one faction or more?

There will be a general Celtic roster and hopefully as many unique faction specific troops as we can find legitimate sources for.
    AE Dev, mainly units

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast