Thread: the naval game

Default the naval game

im curious if there are any consepts of what the old world navys would look like i found this picture so far is all i could find

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

Default Re: the naval game

Search up Man o' War.
    As God wills it.

scoicarius's Avatar Ordinarius

Quote Originally Posted by scoicarius View Post
    Ships for all (or most) factions

These are all the Warhammer ships I've been able to find so far (if you know of more, please let me know):
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

I'll be posting more in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobington View Post
    Search up Man o' War.
    I don't like most ship designs in Man o' War (I've seen all of them).
    Last edited by scoicarius; September 28, 2015 at 07:13 PM.
    The Art of Warhammer Fantasy <-- link
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

I like most of them, especially the one where a whale ate a Pirate boat, and they killed it from the inside, and made a small city from it.
    As God wills it.

Actually I exaggerated. There are many of them I like. I'm going to capture all images from the rule books and I'll post them here.
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

BanditKS's Avatar Ordinarius

looking forward to blasting boats out of the water with drawfen might

sadly there wont be any naval fights that u can play yourself you can only autoresolve them

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

They'll probably add it in a later expansion. Warhammer does have a fair bit of material for naval battles, but its secondary to the land wars. I'm glad they went this route. We'll probably get Navy when they add Elves.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Col. Tartleton View Post
    They'll probably add it in a later expansion. Warhammer does have a fair bit of material for naval battles, but its secondary to the land wars. I'm glad they went this route. We'll probably get Navy when they add Elves.
    Honnestly, i don't think.

Games Workshop has licensed Man O War to another studio wich will release it soon. I guess it's the most important reason why naval combat wasn't included in Warhammer total war.

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    Games Workshop has licensed Man O War to another studio wich will release it soon. I guess it's the most important reason why naval combat wasn't included in Warhammer total war.
    CA could design ships themselves, much like they're designing pretty much all Warhammer cities from scratch, from bits and pieces of lore and a few concept art pieces here and there.
    Last edited by scoicarius; September 30, 2015 at 08:44 AM.

The matter is different, it's not "hey we are designing it ourselves so GW has nothing to say about it". It's just that Warhammer battles is a game about land battles. Man o War a game about naval battles. GW own both games/IP and decide who does what and to wich extent.

I am pretty sure a Totalwar game including playable naval battles, while logical in the context or recent Totalwar games, would be seen as competition against Man O War by GW and i am not sure GW (or the studio that bought the right for Man O war to GW) would be very happy about it, even if CA didn't use any of the concepts of Man O War (wich frankly would be difficult.)

As to the cities, there are plenty of concept arts and Warhammer RPG, wether on its own or in the various scenarios/supplements have a lot of infos about the most important ones (Altdorf, Nuln, Midenheim, Praag, Marienburg etc), even plans.

Heck even Sartosa was described at some point iirc.

Also there are tons of infos about major dwarf, elven and humans fortress even in the warhammer battle army lists.

Where CA will be almost on its own will be for the orkish strongholds, but Warhammer online did a great job in this regard for a good source of inspiration.
    Last edited by Keyser; September 30, 2015 at 10:31 AM.

even if CA didn't use any of the concepts of Man O War (wich frankly would be difficult)
    Difficult but doable.

As to the cities, there are plenty of concept arts and Warhammer RPG, wether on its own or in the various scenarios/supplements have a lot of infos about the most important ones (Altdorf, Nuln, Midenheim, Praag, Marienburg etc), even plans.

Heck even Sartosa was described at some point iirc.
    I don't think you realize how much work and creativity goes into designing a full-scale city. The concept art only shows bits and pieces, and even with the plans, it leaves huge gaps to be filled. Not having anything to rely on gives them an opportunity to fully unleash their creativity.
    Last edited by scoicarius; September 30, 2015 at 11:01 AM.

Pretty much the same amount of work than for any Totalwar actually...

Or do you believe the cities we have seen so far are actual representation of the cities they are meant to represent as they were ?

Pretty much the same amount of work than for any Totalwar actually...
    Which proves they're perfectly capable of also designing ships.

Yes but designing radically new ships (wich won't fit into the established backgound of GW, since the ships are already designed inside that background) won't change the issue that it's GW that decide what CA is allowed to do and what they won't allow them to do about their world.

And regarding naval matters also those that bought the Man O War license.

Now that being said, i am not working for CA, GW or the other studio, so i don't know if what i say is true, or accurate, it's just assumptions on my part.

Maybe i am wrong and despite CA having already stated that there won't be naval battles, you're right and we will see them later. Who knows ?
    Maybe Man O War will be a huge flop and GW will change its policy or whatever...

Edit

For those interested :

Rockpapershotgun article about Man-O-War

And the teaser trailer :

Last edited by Keyser; September 30, 2015 at 01:17 PM.

Yes but designing radically new ships (wich won't fit into the established backgound of GW, since the ships are already designed inside that background) won't change the issue that it's GW that decide what CA is allowed to do and what they won't allow them to do about their world.
    [...]
    Now that being said, i am not working for CA, GW or the other studio, so i don't know if what i say is true, or accurate, it's just assumptions on my part.
    I didn't reply to this point before because, like you, I don't know if your assumptions are correct. I hope they aren't, but who knows.

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

Well from what I know (and if I'm not wrong) GW is working with CA on this to some degree, so GW can make new stuff if they so desire that can be added to the game. I kind of expect unit dlcs that actually aren't on table top.

To give you an example would be... what... Bretonnian Footknights for example, a full infantry size heavy infantry unit. They don't exist, but GW can make them if they so desire. So I am not yet giving up on the idea of naval battles or new kinds of ships.
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW