Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: TROY - BBC

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default TROY - BBC

Probably a bit early for a thread but....

The BBC has announced it has green lit possibly it's most ambitious (2m per episode) series to date. Not much info yet, but there's loads of articles on the net.

TROY - The Fall of a City.

Described as an epic tale of love, revenge, intrigue and bloodshed, it’s set against the backdrop of the war between Greece and Troy and focuses on the collapse of one family. It will go back to the saga’s origins: the judgment of Paris, his passionate elopement with Helen, and the ill-starred prophecy surrounding his birth.

When the baby Paris is born, the omens foretell that he will bring about the downfall of the city. Queen Hecuba and King Priam are forced to choose whether to abandon their newborn son to the wolves or save him, but risk the safety of their kingdom. Their choice will decide not only the fate of their child, but the very existence of Troy.
    Article.
    Last edited by Halie Satanus; September 25, 2015 at 05:30 PM.

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: TROY - BBC

Can't wait for glorious sex scenes.

Comes Domesticorum

Immortality; take it, it's yours!

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Stavroforos View Post
    Immortality; take it, it's yours!

/Meh.

Re the movie, anyway, the only good thing there was Agamemnon (and Sean Bean, but Sean Bean is always good).
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Blog Entries

The movie is repeated so many times it's kind grown on me. There's some great scenes, the fight between Hector and Achilles being a highlight.

I'm looking forward to this, BBC collaborations have been pretty good over the years.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

I like Troy, some truly great fight scenes like the duel and the beach assault and young Brad was a perfect Achilles.

Its not really following the source material that well though.

Mega Tortas de Bodemloze's Avatar Let's Get After It
    Fort Hood, Texas/Parramatta, New South Wales, Bristol, Tennessee

Skuch over a wee tad Haile, and for Goodness sakes quit hogging all me chips...

OT: Looks promising. Please keep us in the know.
    A Lion serves in Winter, then perhaps a Unicorn for the Spring.

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,
    then the weight of the evidence will still fall in your favor and carry the day

The Casual Tortoise: Mega's Guide to Fast Turtling

I honestly love Troy, I didn't see it until about five years after if came out, and had read lots of hate about it. But when I finally saw it, I have nothing really to complain about. The fight scenes are great, the acting is great, and Brad Pitt totally rocks.

" Everything is more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again.”

No one can mess with "Da Pitt". Although I will admit that the quite many cenematic versions of this tale are each in their own way, very well done....

If you cannot stand behind what you say.... then do not speak. If your words are taken out of context,

meh, coudnt they pick any better historical setting for their most ambitious series?
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Halie Satanus View Post
    There's some great scenes, the fight between Hector and Achilles being a highlight.
    One of my personal favourite duels/fights in all of scenematic history [while the movie itself is mostly a guilty pleasure], since even as I know the outcome (and knew when I first saw the movie) I yet get gravitated by music, acting, pacing and coreography into full tension - and ever a vain hope that Hector shall win for once haha
    Oh, and I am a sucker for fine spear fighting.
    Last edited by Ngugi; September 25, 2015 at 04:39 PM.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

gastovski's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    meh, coudnt they pick any better historical setting for their most ambitious series?
    Like what? Troy seems fine to me. We had Rome and Spartacus so this would be just fine.

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

The director's cut of Troy is even better, as it shows the full sack of Troy.

I'll watch the hell out of this, though.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

Might as well get in the mood..

''There are no pact's between Lions and men.'' - Great line...

Watching the duel again on youtube (the same as Halie now posted I see), this comment to Paris/Orlando Bloom made me crack up
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Looking foreward to a new and resourceful take on the Iliad and Odyssey.
    I do wonder on how they intend to balance mythology and gods with [historical] realism, with no opinion on what's the proper course

Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ngugi View Post
    Watching the duel again on youtube (the same as Halie now posted I see), this comment to Paris/Orlando Bloom made me crack up
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Looking foreward to a new and resourceful take on the Iliad and Odyssey.
    I do wonder on how they intend to balance mythology and gods with [historical] realism, with no opinion on what's the proper course
    the writer 'David Farr' seems to have a decent track record (Hanna aside), Royal Shakespeare Company and writer on the fantastic 'Spooks.'

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

I wonder if we will see any llamas in this one.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Quote Originally Posted by Veteraan View Post
    I wonder if we will see any llamas in this one.
    Only if Arnold play Priamos

Cinematic or Historical Review....All of them would be hard pressed to due better than this...

Achilles and Priam

"Even enemies can show......respect"

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Afaik it was argued that the movie Troy was more based on the Aeniad, but still that does not explain why virtually all the characters end up differently than in the Illiad (let alone than not many care about fan-fiction Aeniad ).

Ajax, Agamemnon, Menelaos don't die fighting Troy. Ajax becomes mad after Odysseus tricks him out of being awarded dead Achilles' weapons, and ultimately commits suicide. Agamemnon returns to his home palace and is assassinated by his wife, Klytemnistra. Iirc Menelaos gets reconciled with Helen, and they return to Sparta.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast