Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: TROY - BBC

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: TROY - BBC

Quote Originally Posted by Condottiere 40K View Post
    Affirmation activism.

You have multicultural society, and you try to make them feel they all have a place and that they all belong.
    Which is a very good and noble idea. But the way to go about it is not the one the Bbc (a scandal-infested corporation) does.

FWIW, the Bbc is not some bastion of progressiveness. It is (if anything) a very pro-government (pro-Tory for the last years, and before that it was Blair, who wasn't that far from a tory either) institution, having a plethora of scandals (an ongoing one is about unfairly low pay to female employees) including pedophilia by main tv personalities it used in the near past.
    It would at least make one sympathetic if it could be argued the Bbc runs these programs out of honest will to help anyone, but it is entirely unrealistic to think it does.

For a lol, you can't seriously term as progressive a channel whose main news-talk host is the following thing from the swamp:

He belongs in the Benny Hill show (another one who started in the Bbc )
    Last edited by Kyriakos; August 03, 2017 at 04:12 AM.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Adar's Avatar Just doing it
    Civitate

Affirmation activism.

You have multicultural society, and you try to make them feel they all have a place and that they all belong.
    And as soon as someone have caved in to pressure from activists to add historically inaccurate ethnicities to the cast another activist comes in and demand that the show should also cover ethnic tensions.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guardian on the Handmaids Tale
    Source
    Bruce Miller is probably right to assume that these same 21st-century viewers would have found an all-white cast in The Handmaid’s Tale jarring. What he seems not to have anticipated is that they might also find his post-racial vision jarring in a different way. In Gilead, handmaids such as Offred are forcibly separated from their families, regularly raped by their “commanders”, traded as if they were cattle, banned from reading and punished with maiming and public lynchings. None of these details are the inventions of Atwood’s imagination or embellishments from Miller’s writer’s room; this is what actually happened during 245 years of slavery in the US – albeit to black women rather than white ones. Isn’t it odd, then, to neither openly acknowledge this history, nor grapple with its legacy on screen?Fagbenle feels the criticism is . “Handmaid’s is the most profound television I’ve had the privilege to be a part of. Is there an opportunity to explore other social issues including race in a second season? Yes! Would I like to see that? Absolutely! But rather than focus my energy on other people’s writing and casting, I’m putting my heart into telling my stories myself.”
    Personally I do not really care about the decisions by directors. In a historical setting I prefer realism or effective suspension of disbelief over forced multiculturalism but the only thing I feel really strongly about is the importance of not giving activists the power to ruin all TV-shows by making them about their own pet peeves.

If Whoopi Goldberg is cast as Robin Hood or Arthur, they may have gone too far.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Not to mention that the BBC gets tax money from the government. That in itself is hilarious. No tax returns this year I'm afraid.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Magister Militum Flavius Aetius's Avatar δούξ θρᾳκήσιου
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

I have moved the discussion on the presence of Roman North Africans in Britain to a thread in the VV here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...-Roman-Britain.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    You don't think there would be significant backlash against a traditionally Tibetan character being played by a Chinese actor?
    The Tibetan Diaspora would probably have a problem with that. But I doubt that most of the people who claim to want diversity even know the difference between Tibetans and Chinese. Besides the Chinese want to assimilate the Tibetans and more or less wipe out Tibetan culture so it would be in their best interests to have Chinese actors portray them I would assume.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    Which is a very good and noble idea. But the way to go about it is not the one the Bbc (a scandal-infested corporation) does.

FWIW, the Bbc is not some bastion of progressiveness. It is (if anything) a very pro-government (pro-Tory for the last years, and before that it was Blair, who wasn't that far from a tory either) institution, having a plethora of scandals (an ongoing one is about unfairly low pay to female employees) including pedophilia by main tv personalities it used in the near past.
    It would at least make one sympathetic if it could be argued the Bbc runs these programs out of honest will to help anyone, but it is entirely unrealistic to think it does.
    The thing is, for all their faults, the Tories are incredibly socially progressive compared to most other right wing parties in Europe, that's just a general feature of British culture on the right and the left. We're such an urbanised and diverse country compared to most of the rest of Europe that right and left doesn't come into it when it comes to things like affirmative action and representation quotas, the Tories themselves have diversity quotas and indeed in recent years have been if anything more diverse than Labour.

So the BBC is not really a bastion of progressiveness within the UK but from an outside perspective where constant efforts to be inclusive towards non-whites and LGBT and women and so on, are themselves seen as progressive, they are quite progressive by those standards.
    Last edited by Copperknickers II; August 25, 2017 at 02:02 PM.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

^Maybe. Although they now are allied to the Unionists
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Independence is over rated.

Independence is over rated.
    Not sure if you meant that, but it is Ulster Unionists, who are tied to nastier stuff than just what their name implies Eg creationism, past of paramilitary murder, and homophobia.

autonomy
    is where it's at
    where the apron
    strings aren't quite cut
    and then you have
    to conform
    to some sort of
    general norm

I look forward to the first ep of Trey

My bet still is that it will be a poor show regardless of this casting option - cause it likely was meant to divert attention from that. But we will see.
    I obviously doubt it will be at least on the level of the film (which had massive problems and was ridiculously dumbed down, and yet i still think this series will be far worse )

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

It certainly is distracting from its quality http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5103758/...s?ref_=tt_sa_3

But at £8,500,000 of public money per episode of an 8 part series, it better be good. In all fairness I wouldn't know if this actually that much different in budget from similar shows, but it sounds a tad excessive. All the same, we'll have a choice of historical drama from Troy to Sky's Britannia this year.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    It certainly is distracting from its quality http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5103758/...s?ref_=tt_sa_3

But at £8,500,000 of public money per episode of an 8 part series, it better be good. In all fairness I wouldn't know if this actually that much different in budget from similar shows, but it sounds a tad excessive. All the same, we'll have a choice of historical drama from Troy to Sky's Britannia this year.
    ahahahaha, wow (at the gentle comments there)

So, is ep1 available already?

Is there a trailer for ep 1?

I tried to find one on youtube, but there are loads of polemical videos, so i am not sure.

I do find it funny how set it is to burn (i am sorry for the actors, though), but i'd first want to have a look, cause we already covered the casting issue to death anyway

HannibalExMachina's Avatar Just a sausage

there isnt even a date for when it airs yet, so i guess not.

Off-topic posts about the skin complexion of actors moved there. ~Abdülmecid I
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; January 17, 2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Clarification added.

Påsan's Avatar Hva i helvete?
    Citizen

Britannica is supposedly trash, and I dont expect much more from this.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Well that's a shame, the Trojan War is my favorite part of the Greek mythology. But who knows, it might still end up being a good series.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Britannia's pilot episode wasn't great, it can't decide if it wants to be fantasy or a historical drama. Germanic runes from another continent? No thanks. A 90lb girl who was otherwise an ordinary civilian taking on 4 fully trained legionaries? Really? It's corny throughout, and David Morissey's character feels totally out of place as a Roman general. The scene where he tells Gershwyn Eustache that he won't feel at home until he takes a dump is just weird, as is a lot of the show. Glad I don't have to watch the rest.
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

^LOL.

Wow, i suppose Troy will be even worse, and this already sounds incredibly lame