Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What games would you like to see remakes of?

scoicarius's Avatar Ordinarius

Default What games would you like to see remakes of?

They can be Warhammer related, but not necessarily. Let's hear it.

---

I'll start with Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat (SotHR) and its sequel, Dark Omen (DO).

Shadow of the Horned Rat
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Dark Omen

How I loved those games. Interestingly, I played DO before SotHR. Even more interestingly, I found the latter better in certain respects. I'd love to see a remake of those games, and I think the Mark of Chaos engine would be superbly suited for the task.

Last edited by scoicarius; September 25, 2015 at 08:27 AM.
    The Art of Warhammer Fantasy <-- link
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

Bobington's Avatar Ordinarius
    You illuminaterz wont find nuthin bout me!

Default Re: What games would you like to see remakes of?

Dawn of War. Dawn of War 2 was crap, but I would like to see a DoW with the building and map progression of DoW1, but troop variety and lists of TT. There is so much more flavour to 40K tabletop than 40K video games.
    As God wills it.

Aquila_Mars's Avatar Semisalis

I personally think dawn of war 2's campaign and its combat was superior.
    LET US SHOOT THE BOOT, MAKE THE TOPHAT GO MOOT

Sign the petition to remove hardcoded limits for M2TW

I personally think dawn of war 2's campaign and its combat was superior.
    Campaign is a matter of taste. They're just toally different. Combat was much, much better in DoWII.

Most people that cry over DoWII miss the extensive basebuilding aspect, which didn't make a lick of sense in a Warhammer 40k game anyway.
    Neither from a lore standpoint nore as an adaptation of the TT.

Quote Originally Posted by Orkfaeller View Post
    Campaign is a matter of taste. They're just toally different. Combat was much, much better in DoWII.

Most people that cry over DoWII miss the extensive basebuilding aspect, which didn't make a lick of sense in a Warhammer 40k game anyway.
    Neither from a lore standpoint nore as an adaptation of the TT.
    I don't miss the base building aspect of DoW at all. On the contrary. I'd prefer a purely tactical 40k game.

I'd also love to see a 40k game in the vein of the old Syndicate Wars. I loved that game.

Syndicate Wars 2

By the way, Syndicate Wars is another game I'd like to see remade. Properly remade. I did try Satellite Reign, but it failed to capture the flavor of its predecessor for me (plus I found its interface horrendous).
    Last edited by scoicarius; September 26, 2015 at 09:35 AM.
    A facebook page with Warhammer Fantasy art that I've been collecting over the years as a hobby. Updated regularly. Enjoy.

I don't miss it either good riddance to it. Base building isn't something for Warhammer 40k.

I never liked the base building either, but the units were more flavourful and like those in TT. Like, when I got my Assault on Black Reach, the pictures were captured in DoW1 much better than DoW2. Also, some of the visuals put me off. The Guardsmen with goggles were just horrid. They just removed a lot of the fun stuff. Also, although DoW1's base building was bad you can't actually prefer the system where you capture the tower to build units.
    As God wills it.

I honestly would prefer that you chose the entirety of your army from the start and work with whatever you have throughout the battle Drop them 2nd company in with drop pods/thunderhawks whatever catches your fancy and get to work.

Maybe keep a few drop pods and a few squads in reserve to call in as reinforcements.

But at least the capture the tellyporta to call in more gitz made more sense than 'build this barracks, we grow guardsmen in its inbuilt garden'

Quote Originally Posted by aquila_mars View Post
    I honestly would prefer that you chose the entirety of your army from the start and work with whatever you have throughout the battle. Drop them 2nd company in with drop pods/thunderhawks whatever catches your fancy and get to work.

Maybe keep a few drop pods and a few squads in reserve to call in as reinforcements.
    The same here. I'd prefer a system where you have access to a full contingent from the very beginning (larger or smaller), or a system based on reinforcements. One idea is something along the lines of Ultimate General Gettysburg, where a battle is fought in stages, with a sense of progression as you gain or lose territory:
    Multi-Day Dynamic Battle
    On the morning of July 1st 1863, the two armies meet near Gettysburg. Reinforcements arrive from historically accurate directions as the battle progresses, however, random events, delays and tactical differences are always a possibility that can change the results of each engagement compared to history.

Can you re-enact Pickett’s Charge? What if Lee attacked the center of the Union Army early in the morning of July 2nd of 1863 instead of attempting to flank the extreme left in the afternoon? What would happen if Meade counter-attacked on July 4th 1863? These questions and more can be answered within the game engine of Ultimate General: Gettysburg.

The battle is dynamically fought in time phases and can last up to 4 days. Each day can be separated by up to 3 time phases and the armies’ condition and positioning on the map are saved.

According to battle events, you have the possibility to take decisions that can change the tide of the battle based on your prior tactical prowess. For example, when leading the Confederates, on the morning of July 2nd, you can choose to attack at Cemetery Hill and not make a delayed flanking maneuver at Peach Orchard
    if you have managed to take Seminary Ridge the previous day! You can even choose to defend and wait for your AI opponent to take the initiative between days. These choices greatly increase the number of possible battle outcomes and challenges.
    Last edited by scoicarius; September 26, 2015 at 10:26 AM.

Clive Barker's Undying

One of the best most atmospheric games I've ever played. I'd love to see it remade someday.

Last edited by scoicarius; September 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM.

If they do make DoW 3, then I hope they will stick to table top rules a bit more. I do not want my Imperial Guard commander to have some sort of claws, and be followed by a merry band of preachers, mad Russians, and psychos(psykers). I want him to be a proper command squad of a medic, standard bearer, Vox operator, and special weapon. The IG heroes from both of the DoWs were horrid. The lone dude with the sniper was dumb and the motley crew was also. Also, I want much more customization options from TT for weapons armour and gear, and I want them to add more units, especially the n edition ones. What happened to scions? Or Bullgryns? Or a variation between comissar and Lord comissar, or psykers and astropaths. Also, catachan Demolition teams anyone?
    As God wills it.

Also, SQUATS!
    As God wills it.

I don't miss the basebuilding aspect, I miss the epicness of the first title. in DOWII, if you lose a squad of banshee's, your whole mission is set back. You can't field more than 10 or so units at a time. I want to see screaming hordes of deamons, whole regiments of imperial guard get fed into the meat grinder like the battle of the Somme. DoWII feels like Black ops, where I wanted the Battle of the Bulge.

Kahvipannu's Avatar Bring me Solo & wookie

Dawn of War 1, with new shiny engine, oh yes, I want it so bad... I did not like second one as much, even tought I do think it is great game too.

Dark Omen, I loved that game back in the days, I'm not sure how well it has aged... Not talking about graphics here, it was rather simple game, and re-making it propably would lose some of its campines too. I would play it tought if it would be re-made, maybe I'm totally wrong.

One more would be Space Hulk (original), would love to play that updated, still love that game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kahvipannu View Post
    Dark Omen, I loved that game back in the days, I'm not sure how well it has aged... Not talking about graphics here, it was rather simple game, and re-making it propably would lose some of its campines too. I would play it tought if it would be re-made, maybe I'm totally wrong.
    So did I (love it). It aged very well. I played it a little recently, when I captured the artworks from it, and the gameplay is as fun as I remembered. It just feels great to play. If someone were to make a sequel with the very same engine, I'd play it in a heartbeat, though a sequel with the engine of Mark of Chaos would be extraordinary.

---

I'd love to see a remake of Heroes of Might & Magic 3 with the aesthetic design of Heroes of Might & Magic 2. Heroes of Might & Magic 3 was the high point of the series for me in terms of gameplay, but it failed to capture the charm and atmosphere of its predecesor.

Heroes of Might & Magic 2

---

Last edited by scoicarius; October 03, 2015 at 06:37 PM.

DoW 2 had some of best characterisation for characters in a game and probably by far in the strategy genre. Exception of course the guy you played as. That was as plant as possible.
    But DoW 2 did take big liberties in terms of the TT. I do find Soulstorm with it's 100 Baneblade and stupid reasons why everyone was fighting everyone, worse.

There was a game named Conqueror 1086 AD (number may be wrong), which I adored.
    Last edited by ScipioGermanicus; October 03, 2015 at 06:19 PM.

After they introduced Dwarves in HoMM5, I am not going back to a Dwarfless HoMM. Honestly, I do not get why HoMM7 is getting two elf types, over Dwarves and demons. Don't get me wrong, some dumb, pointy eared effeminate pansies are needed for any solid fantasy, but I think they could have given up either the Dark Elves or Wood Elves for Dwarves and Demons.
    As God wills it.

My first introduction to Warhammer was Final Liberation on PC in 1999. I'd only heard about Warhammer a couple time before that and this game along with Master of Orion, Warlords III, Heroes of Might and Magic II, and Panzer General II were my first PC games. From there I went into Baldurs Gate, HoMM3, Age of Empires II, Quake, Hearts of Iron, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Close Combat, and Deus Ex. In my local area no one played Warhammer EPIC so I bought a Skaven army and started work on High Elves but gave up the miniatures after just a year or so becoming more interested in sports and girls.

Of all those games only Final Liberation and Dreamfall have yet to get good followup games so I'd really like to see those re-made with modern technology.

https://www.gog.com/game/final_liber...mer_epic_40000

Just for reference if anyone hasn't seen it- http://www.spacehulk-ascension.com/ is actually pretty good.

I am pretty excited about http://masteroforion.com/news as well... it seems Wargaming is doing this re-make as a passion project but actually has decent attention to detail and ability to make the project high quality for a current release.

Lastly maybe a hex based wargame with hand painted maps as in Panzer General... People's General was the last decent one in that series
    Last edited by Ichon; October 03, 2015 at 10:42 PM.

There is an android release of HoMM2 that works fairly well on tablet as well for those interested. It is a bit too small to play on a mobile phone especially without a stylus but that game can still be fun even years later though the classic multi of HoMM3 was along with Panzer General II my first taste of competitive multi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichon View Post
    I am pretty excited about http://masteroforion.com/news as well... it seems Wargaming is doing this re-make as a passion project but actually has decent attention to detail and ability to make the project high quality for a current release.
    I loved Master of Orion 2. For me this and X-COM are the models for what game remakes should be (though it also depends on what type of game we're talking about).
    Last edited by scoicarius; October 04, 2015 at 09:28 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast