Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 05/09/2016)

Default The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 05/09/2016)

The Touch of Fear - Oda AAR

It is 1545, the Oda confront outsiders: to the north, the Saito of Mino province; to the east, the Tokugawa clan in Mikawa and, beyond them, the Imagawa lurk. Will the Oda clan rise to rule all of Japan or will they fall to the blades of their enemies?

Information
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Mod: No Mods, Classic Shogun 2
    TPY: Standard, 4 Turns Per Year
    Campaign/Battle Difficulty: Very Hard/Very Hard
    Campaign: Domination

Quick Info Everytime I start an AAR something tragic happens and I have failed to finish a single one! But with the Steam cloud save feature within Shogun 2 I can't suddenly lose save files and I can possibly recover from other problems should they arise. I have yet to finish the game as the Oda Clan. I was thinking of playing on Legendary, but I have already finished a legendary campaign and I'd prefer not to play under that much stress again. On VH/VH difficulty I have room for error and can focus more on having fun instead of playing not to lose. I'll try my best to keep it action packed and entertaining

Terminology

Reference guide to terminology used in Shogun 2 - Taken from Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II

Ashigaru - a soldier who is not of samurai rank. Often termed a peasant soldier, this is misleading to most Westerners as we think of peasant soldiers being poorly equipped, poorly trained cannon fodder. By the Sengoku period an ashigaru was a disciplined, trained professional.

Bune - a type of warship. There are many different varieties of bune in the game.

Daimyo - a lord, one who holds land, has retainers, and is the head of his clan.

Dojo - a training area for martial arts.

Geisha - a high-class female entertainer, highly educated and cultured. In the game they are spies and assassins.

Ikko-Ikki - a rather complex set of rebels. While there were many different sects and flavours of ideology in this group, all of them believed that everyone was equally redeemed by Amida Buddha's grace. That meant they rejected the foundational principles of contemporary society.

Katana - the Japanese sword most Westerners are familiar with. The common sidearm for most units in the game. Its use was not exclusive to the samurai class during this period; that restriction was introduced as the Sengoku period came to a close. Wearing two swords at once, the katana and the wakizashi, was the mark of a samurai.

Koku - the unit of currency used by the game. Historically a koku is the measure of rice needed to feed a man for a year.

Metsuke - a member of the daimyo's secret police.

Mon - a clan's symbol, very similar to a European coat of arms.

Naginata - a polearm weapon. It consists of a long shaft with a sword blade socketed to the top, meaning it can be used like a sword with the benefit of longer reach, like a spear, or as a chopping weapon.

Nanban - translated most commonly as 'southern barbarian'. Along with 'gaijin' ('foreign country person') this is one of the terms commonly used to refer to the Europeans who visited Japan during the period.

No dachi - a large sword that is wielded with both hands. It was not a common battlefield weapon due to the need for the wielder to have a large amount of clear space around him. It was sometimes used against cavalry.

Ronin - a masterless samurai. Much like a mercenary.

Samurai - a member of the highest social class, almost always a warrior or trained to possess a warrior's skills. Women of this class were also termed samurai. Some samurai were wealthy and powerful, holding large areas of land. Others were much poorer, with little more than their swords to their name. They are roughly equivalent to European knights.

Sengoku, or Sengoku Jidai - 'The age of the country at war' is the most common English translation. This is the period the game is set in.

Seppuku - ritual suicide, performed by cutting open the stomach. When a major clan is defeated you will see their leader undertaking this if you choose to watch the event video contained in the news pop up.

Shogun - the military dictator, the real ruling force in Japan prior to the Meiji Restoration. The Emperor was more of a spiritual force than a political ruler.

Teppo - a gun, specifically a matchlock musket or arquebus. It uses gunpowder to fire a single bullet, and requires reloading after every shot. It has a short range and is inaccurate.

Wako - a group of pirates.

Yari - a spear. Historically this was the weapon of choice for all ranks during the Sengoku period.

Yumi - the traditional Japanese bow. Designed for use on horseback it is gripped off-centre, around one third of the way up the stave.

Map

Character Index

Nobuhide Oda
    Daimyo
    Battle Prowess: ✰✰
    Honour: ❋❋❋

------------------------------------------

Takayama Muneyori
    Battle Prowess: ✰✰
    Loyalty: ❋❋❋

Table of Contents
    I. Consolidation
    II. Son of Amaterasu
    III. The Tiger of Kai
    IV. Kato Botenmaru
    V. Uninvited Guests

Last edited by SanyuXV; August 19, 2016 at 04:31 PM.

waveman's Avatar Decanus

Default Re: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR]

Good luck, sounds interesting! I know how frustrating losing a game/AAR can be

My AARs/writing: Link
    Letters for writing: þ, ð æ Æ

Quote Originally Posted by waveman View Post
    Good luck, sounds interesting! I know how frustrating losing a game/AAR can be
    Thank you waveman! I'll try and keep up with you and your Shogun 2 AAR

Chapter One: Consolidation

Spring 1545: The battle of Nagano
    Oda Nobuhide departed from Owari Castle with his retainers fully equipped for battle to rendezvous with General Takayama Muneyori who had assembled a fighting force of approximately 700 men near Nagano to deal with the rebel uprising that had occurred due to the civil war within the Oda clan.

Nobuhide was determined to defeat the rebel forces in a crushing manner. He had no other choice then to be meticulous, calculated and efficient as the Oda were surrounded by enemies. A single man lost could mean the difference in future battles.

Muneyori was encamped across the field from the rebel forces, awaiting his daimyo’s command. The sun began to rise and painted the sky a multitude of colors ranging from crimson red, to lavender purple. He yawned as he sat there, watching the men awakening from their slumber, the yari samurai were already awake, practicing, meditating. It was a beautiful morning, a good omen perhaps, a beautiful day to die honorably.

A cloud of dust began to sweep into the encampment, the daimyo had arrived. “What’s the situation Muneyori?” questioned Nobuhide as he galloped to a halt within the encampment alongside his retainers. “The rebels have situated themselves on that hill directly across from us, it doesn’t look like they have any intentions of moving from that position, my lord” Muneyori quickly replied. Nobuhide quickly retorted “then we shall bring them what they have been waiting for” he smirks and motions his men to make preparations for the march forward.

Nobuhide was a straightforward, outspoken person. His men held him in the utmost respect but the rest of Japan didn’t understand his character. This significantly affected the diplomacy towards the Oda, the daimyos of other clans and even the Ashikaga Shogunate had become weary of his brutal honesty.

The battle of Nagano was over as quickly as it had started. Nobuhide marched his men towards the hill and sat at the very bottom of the slope with the view of the rebel army in clear sight. The rebels had been prepared for the battle as they watched the opposition march across the field in plain sight. However, the rebels were poorly led, resulting in a massacre of the rebel army. Nobuhide had only lost a handful of men numbering somewhere between 40-50 men. The unification of the Oda had been complete.

Summer 1545: The battle of Okazaki
    After the battle of Nagano in the spring Nobuhide marched his force south towards Mikawa province held by the Tokugawa vassal/puppet of the Imagawa clan. He marched his force along the shore and took up a position underneath a rock formation resembling that of a small flat mountain that protruded the shoreline. He had left Owari with a skeleton garrison, the best of his personal samurai retainers would hold the castle if the need arose. This was his gamble; he would march straight towards the Tokugawa before they could muster a sizable fighting force. Nobuhide had just united the Oda clan and now it could be quite possible that this maneuver could be the end of the clan once and for all.

Cherry blossoms softly drifted through the encampment as the gentle breeze pushed them in every which direction. Muneyori sat idly behind Nobuhide as he was in the middle of his meditation. Moments earlier a scout had stumbled into the camp, his skin drained of all color, resembling that of a pale ghost.

“What news Muneyori?” Nobuhide questioned as he rose to his feet.

Muneyori responded promptly “A scouting party returned, well only one of them returned . . . he reported that the Tokugawa army is on the march and it’s heading straight towards Owari”

“That Hirotada so young and brash, we could've been good friends if the circumstances had been different.” Nobuhide paused “Assemble the men, we march on Mikawa province.”

“My lord shouldn’t we cut off their advance and defend Owari?” Muneyori responded quietly, as if it was a rhetorical question that one wishes to have never articulated out loud.

“Muneyori, this is not a battle of blood and steel. This is a battle of resolve and I for one believe that we shall one day march onto the gates of Kyoto and burn the Oda mon into the passages of time.” A smirk began to stretch across his face. “Do the men know about the Tokugawa army?”

“You and I are the only retainers of this knowledge, the scout died briefly after returning from an arrow injury” Muneyori replied confidently to dispel his previous moment of weakness.

“Good, we march within the hour.” Nobuhide replied waving his hand to dismiss Muneyori.

Nobuhide’s force marched nonstop with no rest straight to Okazaki, to secure Mikawa province from the Tokugawa. He had reached Okazaki before the Tokugawa had made half the distance towards Owari. Just as he had done back home, there was a skeleton garrison left to defend and defend they did to no avail as the Oda burned their way into the castle. Promptly executing the loyalist retainers to honor their loyalty towards their clan but there was no place for retainers who were not loyal to the Oda cause. Nobuhide had kept two of the retainers alive and let them leave the city without harm, he expected that they would return to Hirotada, and report the events that had conspired.

Just as he had predicted, the Tokugawa gave up their advance towards Owari. The entire Tokugawa army had disbanded over the course of several days and they all dispersed into the countryside. Hirotada himself was sighted fleeing back to the Imagawa with what little retainers that had stayed. Oda Nobuhide had consolidated a strong and stable power base with the addition of Mikawa province.

Muneyori couldn’t believe the reports from the scouts when they had returned. He would no longer have any fear or doubts about his daimyo any longer; he knew that the rest of Japan would soon experience the touch of fear.

Last edited by SanyuXV; September 21, 2015 at 09:05 PM.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 9/21/2015)

You've certainly given us an eventful start! I'll look forward to seeing fear of the Oda spreading across Japan...

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

I agree! This is nicely organized with a helpful list of terminology, map and character list. I look forward to seeing where Nobuhide's brutal honesty and willingness to gamble will take the Oda.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

I'm looking forward to more of this!It is really intriguing, looks like I have some tough competition

If I may ask, how did you get the borders?

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Let's see if you can re-enact history.... and take Yoshimoto's head
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh View Post
    You've certainly given us an eventful start! I'll look forward to seeing fear of the Oda spreading across Japan...
    Thank you Caillagh, it shall spread like the plague

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    I agree! This is nicely organized with a helpful list of terminology, map and character list. I look forward to seeing where Nobuhide's brutal honesty and willingness to gamble will take the Oda.
    Thank you Alwyn! I need to make up for lost time and lost AAR's.... I'm here to impress and have fun

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    I'm looking forward to more of this!It is really intriguing, looks like I have some tough competition

If I may ask, how did you get the borders?

Thanks

Tigellinus
    Hi Tig, been a fan of your work for a very long time now! I'm not much competition hehe, on a side note. I upload my pictures to photobucket and on their website it allows you to apply effects to the pictures such as the borders and etc. I hope that answers what you're looking for

Quote Originally Posted by Lugotorix View Post
    Let's see if you can re-enact history.... and take Yoshimoto's head
    Greetings Lugo! What if he had been impaled by an arrow to the eye? Would that be the same . . . ?

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

I'm glad I discovered this one, enjoyed reading it and I like very much the way it is presented. Subscribed
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

I like the way you started this and it looks very promising indeed. Nice use of pics and visuals as well and a very nicely laid out OP to top it off and of course your usual brilliant writing. Not only that but another Shogun 2 AAR always makes me happy.

Lugotorix's Avatar non flectis non mutant

Greetings Lugo! What if he had been impaled by an arrow to the eye? Would that be the same . . . ?
    Let the chips fall where they may....you still always get the victory message with the head presentation, as is tradition.
    AUTHOR OF TROY OF THE WESTERN SEA: LOVE AND CARNAGE UNDER THE RULE OF THE VANDAL KING, GENSERIC
    THE BLACK-HEARTED LORDS OF THRACE: ODRYSIAN KINGDOM AAR
    VANDALARIUS: A DARK AGES GOTHIC EMPIRE ATTILA AAR

Chapter Two: Son of Amaterasu

Autumn 1545: The Battle of Inokuchi

Briefly after the conquest of Mikawa, a diplomat had arrived from the Saito clan that occupied lands north of the border. They demanded an imminent peace treaty fearing the same fate as the Tokugawa clan. Nobuhide chuckled when the news had arrived; The Saito clan had been suffering financially for a very long time, clinging to every koku that trade with the Kiso clan, masters of South Shinano could produce. Nobuhide declined the peace treaty and instead gifted them a single koku for their travel.

Nobuhide entrusted his plans for the Saito clan with Muneyori which he sent back to Owari to lead a force of freshly trained ashigaru. Nobuhide was silent in his strategically planning; only giving commands when he was absolutely adamant about his decision. He waved his hand and gestured at his Commissioner of Supply “Muneyori, you shall command the forces currently waiting for you in Owari. Let those Saito dogs taste the end of your blade. Bring honour to the Oda.”

Muneyori departed immediately, eager to impress his daimyo. He traveled day and night with his personal retainers back to Owari resting only when needed. Time was of the essence, they had to promptly attack the Saito before they could prepare. When he had arrived at his destination, he immediately assembled the men and marched towards the bridge into Mino province.

The Saito barely put up a fight; they had assembled a small contingency on the other side of the bridge that fled at the sight of the Oda force. The Saito force fled into the nearby forest, giving up any hope of retaliation. Muneyori marched into Inokuchi without resistance and proclaimed it under new management. Muneyori was displeased at such cowardice, the Saito clan was weak and yet they still chose to defy those greater than them.

Muneyori left a sizable garrison within Inokuchi and departed into the forest to hunt down the remaining Saito clan members and the daimyo himself. The hunt was rather successful as their prey was caught unaware and therefore was showered with arrows until every corpse was impaled by no less than five arrows. Mino province now belonged to the Oda.

Spring 1546: The Battle of Okazaki
    News of Muneyori’s success pleased Nobuhide but this was short lived. Nobuhide’s greatest undertaking was about to be underway. The occupation of Mikawa province by the Oda left many restless and soon enough there was a major rebellion in the north. Nobuhide knew of the sparks of insurrection and so to further push them to take up arms against him he raised the taxes to the highest possible point. If there was to be a rebellion against him, he would extinguish all treachery at a moment’s notice, like drawing poison out of a wound.

While the rebellion was taking flight among the local populace, the Imagawa had not been idle at the loss of their vassal. Yoshimoto, the Imagawa daimyo had been mustering men across all his domains in an attempt to reestablish the Tokugawa as their loyal and ever subservient vassal. Nobuhide had thought it humorous that the Imagawa force led by Yoshimoto himself had crossed into Mikawa province just as the rebellion had reached its peak. It seemed that the Heavens themselves were testing him.

Nobuhide had choices readily available to him as made clear by his clear annoyance at his advisors. Some suggested crushing the rebellion before Yoshimoto’s arrival, others suggested confronting the Imagawa host before it had reached Okazaki. Against the sound advice given to him by his advisors he chose to wait. To him it did not matter who came to him first whether it be the Imagawa or the Tokugawa rebels, maybe they would even join forces, yet it did not matter. Nobuhide was intent on playing the waiting game when he announced to his advisors and his battle hardened men “like waves crashing upon the shores of Japan, they shall come and we shall yet stand.”

Yoshimoto besieged Okazaki in the spring of 1546 with a force of nearly 2000 men. He had brought all that the Imagawa could assemble; the Imagawa force had enough men to fully surround Okazaki. They descended upon the Oda with fierce ferocity inspired by their daimyo, Yoshimoto. He sent his men to scale the walls simultaneously to make use of his numbers advantage but he had lacked the foresight of a great commander. How many of his men could properly scale a wall while being fully armed for battle? An extensive amount of his men fell to their deaths before they could even meet the honorable death that awaited them at the end of an Oda weapon. The men that had managed to scale the wall met a death no less painful than those that fell, an intimidating sight to any man, the yari wall.

Yoshimoto and his retainers mounted upon their horses positioned themselves behind the bulk of the Imagawa force. The machinations of war was deafening, screams, shouts, steel on steel, steel on flesh and the copious amounts of blood. Fear began to well up inside Yoshimoto, more than half his men had ascended the walls into Okazaki and yet victory was not yet his. To his dismay he could not see beyond the high walls of Okazaki, where Imagawa blood stained every inch that the eye could see.

In desperation, Yoshimoto dismounted along with his retainers to scale the walls of Okazaki in a final attempt to rally his fleeing men. Yoshimoto lasted no longer than 5 minutes inside Okazaki, as he was enveloped by the Oda forces appearing like demons, drenched from head to toe in blood. A samurai retainer took Yoshimoto’s head and placed it on the highest visible point possible within Okazaki. The Imagawa force was shattered upon the sight of their daimyo’s head impaled upon a crimson yari.

Nobuhide laughed manically towards the sky as he thought to himself if only Yoshimoto’s head was as big as his army. He took a deep breath and recollected himself; the heavens brought the entirety of the Imagawa clan to him to deliver them into the afterlife.

Summer 1546: The Battle of Southern Mikawa

Nobuhide could not afford to waste time, there were still pressing matters to deal with. After the victory over the Imagawa, Nobuhide immediately marched his forces toward the rebel Tokugawa army that had been raiding, and ravaging southern Mikawa in an attempt to draw out Nobuhide out of Okazaki and into the field.

Having suffered casualties from the siege, and not having fully recovered yet, Nobuhide took to the field and contested the rebels. The numbers were more evenly matched for this battle comparatively to the siege of Okazaki; however this battle had the potential to be much more challenging. The Tokugawa rebels fielded a force superior to that of Nobuhide, consisting mainly of samurai and a contingency of cavalry which Nobuhide lacked. None of this concerned him, Nobuhide now had a fire in his eyes that nothing but death could extinguish.

The rebels were infuriated at the sight of the Oda Mon and compromised their own defensive position upon the hill, breaking rank and formation to surge forward towards the Oda. The entire rebel force charged including the cavalry, their displeasure was evident; they wanted everyone bearing the mark of the Oda dead. The battle was quickly over as they charged into certain death.

Nobuhide and his retainers rode down the rebels as they fled at the sight of their general being skewered into the Oda yari wall. All treachery, corruption and infidelity was eradicated, the sparks of rebellion forever snuffed out.

Summer 1546: The Battle of Hamamatsu
    Promptly after the defeat of the Tokugawa rebels, Nobuhide deployed his entire force south to occupy Totomi province from the Imagawa. There was not much of a battle, it was more akin to a minor resistance as Imagawa loyalist retainers took to the streets only to be swiftly disposed of. Nobuhide had won three battles in a matter of two seasons, he was deemed to be blessed by the heavens, truly a son of Amaterasu.

Last edited by SanyuXV; October 03, 2015 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I'm glad I discovered this one, enjoyed reading it and I like very much the way it is presented. Subscribed
    Thank you Flinn! I'll try not to bore and disappoint you

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    I like the way you started this and it looks very promising indeed. Nice use of pics and visuals as well and a very nicely laid out OP to top it off and of course your usual brilliant writing. Not only that but another Shogun 2 AAR always makes me happy.
    Your kind words are always appreciated Merch!

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness

Default Re: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 10/03/2015)

Nobuhide seems unstoppable! I like the moment when he gives the Saito diplomatic mission a single koku for their travels - a sign of his confidence as well as his sense of humour? Good images match your story-telling well, both on the battle-field and the campaign map. I wonder if you will enter the MAARC with this very enjoyable AAR.

Flinn's Avatar His Dudeness of TWC
    Patrician Citizen Consul Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SanyuXV View Post
    Thank you Flinn! I'll try not to bore and disappoint you
    I don't see how you could, I'm enjoying it very much
    Besides, even if I will ever get disappointed, I'm a simple man and I'm easy to be bribed
    Under the patronage of Finlander, patron of Lugotorix & Lifthrasir & joerock22 & Socrates1984 & Kilo11 & Vladyvid & Dick Cheney & phazer & Jake Armitage & webba 84 of the Imperial House of Hader

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I see the fear is spreading (and so are the Oda)...

Nobuhide seems a bit - erm - unstable, if you know what I mean. I think I'd be a bit nervous around him.

Which makes him a great character for this, obviously!

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Nobuhide seems a bit - erm - unstable, if you know what I mean. I think I'd be a bit nervous around him.

Don't you see? This explains Nobunaga's outburst at the funeral He also inherited his father's, err, psychotic tendencies.

Sanyu, you do me honour, friend. And, on the contrary! Your writing is excellent, and above mine! I especially like the details with characters, such as Nobuhide and his tendencies!
    Also, congratulations a uploading quicker than I!

Thanks

Tigelinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Looks like the Imagawa won't be around for long with Nobunaga's skill and luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Nobuhide seems unstoppable! I like the moment when he gives the Saito diplomatic mission a single koku for their travels - a sign of his confidence as well as his sense of humour? Good images match your story-telling well, both on the battle-field and the campaign map. I wonder if you will enter the MAARC with this very enjoyable AAR.
    Confidence is over 9000 if you know what I mean . Thanks for the kinds words and I will enter the MAARC after I get one more update in!

Quote Originally Posted by Flinn View Post
    I don't see how you could, I'm enjoying it very much
    Besides, even if I will ever get disappointed, I'm a simple man and I'm easy to be bribed
    Good, good I will keep that in mind

I wouldn't be nervous, he's only unstable if you're trying to kill him and standing in his way of world domination!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    Don't you see? This explains Nobunaga's outburst at the funeral He also inherited his father's, err, psychotic tendencies.

Sanyu, you do me honour, friend. And, on the contrary! Your writing is excellent, and above mine! I especially like the details with characters, such as Nobuhide and his tendencies!
    Also, congratulations a uploading quicker than I!

Thanks

Tigelinus
    Thanks Tig! It is you that honours me

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    Looks like the Imagawa won't be around for long with Nobunaga's skill and luck.
    The Imagawa? Who are they, frankly I don't think they exist anymore?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast