Thread: The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 05/09/2016)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Touch of Fear - [Oda AAR] (Updated 05/09/2016)

The Touch of Fear - Oda AAR

It is 1545, the Oda confront outsiders: to the north, the Saito of Mino province; to the east, the Tokugawa clan in Mikawa and, beyond them, the Imagawa lurk. Will the Oda clan rise to rule all of Japan or will they fall to the blades of their enemies?

Information
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Mod: No Mods, Classic Shogun 2
    TPY: Standard, 4 Turns Per Year
    Campaign/Battle Difficulty: Very Hard/Very Hard
    Campaign: Domination

Quick Info Everytime I start an AAR something tragic happens and I have failed to finish a single one! But with the Steam cloud save feature within Shogun 2 I can't suddenly lose save files and I can possibly recover from other problems should they arise. I have yet to finish the game as the Oda Clan. I was thinking of playing on Legendary, but I have already finished a legendary campaign and I'd prefer not to play under that much stress again. On VH/VH difficulty I have room for error and can focus more on having fun instead of playing not to lose. I'll try my best to keep it action packed and entertaining

Terminology

Reference guide to terminology used in Shogun 2 - Taken from Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II

Ashigaru - a soldier who is not of samurai rank. Often termed a peasant soldier, this is misleading to most Westerners as we think of peasant soldiers being poorly equipped, poorly trained cannon fodder. By the Sengoku period an ashigaru was a disciplined, trained professional.

Bune - a type of warship. There are many different varieties of bune in the game.

Daimyo - a lord, one who holds land, has retainers, and is the head of his clan.

Dojo - a training area for martial arts.

Geisha - a high-class female entertainer, highly educated and cultured. In the game they are spies and assassins.

Ikko-Ikki - a rather complex set of rebels. While there were many different sects and flavours of ideology in this group, all of them believed that everyone was equally redeemed by Amida Buddha's grace. That meant they rejected the foundational principles of contemporary society.

Katana - the Japanese sword most Westerners are familiar with. The common sidearm for most units in the game. Its use was not exclusive to the samurai class during this period; that restriction was introduced as the Sengoku period came to a close. Wearing two swords at once, the katana and the wakizashi, was the mark of a samurai.

Koku - the unit of currency used by the game. Historically a koku is the measure of rice needed to feed a man for a year.

Metsuke - a member of the daimyo's secret police.

Mon - a clan's symbol, very similar to a European coat of arms.

Naginata - a polearm weapon. It consists of a long shaft with a sword blade socketed to the top, meaning it can be used like a sword with the benefit of longer reach, like a spear, or as a chopping weapon.

Nanban - translated most commonly as 'southern barbarian'. Along with 'gaijin' ('foreign country person') this is one of the terms commonly used to refer to the Europeans who visited Japan during the period.

No dachi - a large sword that is wielded with both hands. It was not a common battlefield weapon due to the need for the wielder to have a large amount of clear space around him. It was sometimes used against cavalry.

Ronin - a masterless samurai. Much like a mercenary.

Samurai - a member of the highest social class, almost always a warrior or trained to possess a warrior's skills. Women of this class were also termed samurai. Some samurai were wealthy and powerful, holding large areas of land. Others were much poorer, with little more than their swords to their name. They are roughly equivalent to European knights.

Sengoku, or Sengoku Jidai - 'The age of the country at war' is the most common English translation. This is the period the game is set in.

Seppuku - ritual suicide, performed by cutting open the stomach. When a major clan is defeated you will see their leader undertaking this if you choose to watch the event video contained in the news pop up.

Shogun - the military dictator, the real ruling force in Japan prior to the Meiji Restoration. The Emperor was more of a spiritual force than a political ruler.

Teppo - a gun, specifically a matchlock musket or arquebus. It uses gunpowder to fire a single bullet, and requires reloading after every shot. It has a short range and is inaccurate.

Wako - a group of pirates.

Yari - a spear. Historically this was the weapon of choice for all ranks during the Sengoku period.

Yumi - the traditional Japanese bow. Designed for use on horseback it is gripped off-centre, around one third of the way up the stave.

Map

Character Index

Nobuhide Oda
    Daimyo
    Battle Prowess: ✰✰
    Honour: ❋❋❋

------------------------------------------

Takayama Muneyori
    Battle Prowess: ✰✰
    Loyalty: ❋❋❋

Table of Contents
    I. Consolidation
    II. Son of Amaterasu
    III. The Tiger of Kai
    IV. Kato Botenmaru
    V. Uninvited Guests

Last edited by SanyuXV; August 19, 2016 at 04:31 PM.