Thread: HELP! Unable to finish EPIC battle

Tarkus2.0's Avatar Laetus

Default HELP! Unable to finish EPIC battle

Woodland Realm campaign...I've just defended Dol Guldur against a huge invasion and I've mopped up the battlefield -- but the battle won't end. There are apparently two routing members of a Khand unit that are apparently stuck INSIDE THE WALL. They show up as a red dot on the small battle map, and I can direct one of my units to "fight" the unit just outside the wall. But there is no enemy unit visible and my unit can't kill the remaining two soldiers.

I won't exit the battle for fear I'll lose my VERY hard-won victory. What can I do????

HELP!!!!

Veteraan's Avatar TATW Local Moderator

Default Re: HELP! Unable to finish EPIC battle

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus2.0 View Post
    Woodland Realm campaign...I've just defended Dol Guldur against a huge invasion and I've mopped up the battlefield -- but the battle won't end. There are apparently two routing members of a Khand unit that are apparently stuck INSIDE THE WALL. They show up as a red dot on the small battle map, and I can direct one of my units to "fight" the unit just outside the wall. But there is no enemy unit visible and my unit can't kill the remaining two soldiers.

I won't exit the battle for fear I'll lose my VERY hard-won victory. What can I do????

HELP!!!!
    You are supposed to post your questions about game playing situations in the thread and in case it is DaC, in the forum of the submod you are playing. However, this happens to be a situation that can happen in all mods AFAIK, so it can be kept here as far as I'm concerned.

Certainly a frustrating situation this, it happened to me quite a few times also. However, I never play with no time limit, which I suppose you do, to avoid running into problems like this one. If you have one which still has ammo, you could try to place a missile unit near the offending "wallstruck" units and enable "automatic fire". IIRC, I have been able to get rid of some stuck, unreachable units in the past like that.

If all else fails, you could use a cheat, "autowin".

Before you actually start the battle, open the console (typically by clicking the ~ sign) and type: "autowin_attacker" followed by "enter". Now click the "autoresolve button" and you will be victorious.

It will probably result in much less casualties than your hard fought victory and not "feel good" like a real achievement does, but you did already beat the game, just happened to stumble upon an irritating bug. Or play the battle again of course, but if you were ready to do that, you wouldn't have posted this, I guess.
    Last edited by Veteraan; June 30, 2018 at 05:35 AM.

Citizenised by Shankbot - Patron of b0Gia - House de Bodemloze

Civis

I don't know how the custom map for Dol Guldur is, but if you can manage a catapult in there, and you can sacrifice one unit, you can always spawn in one catapult, fight the battle, and then when/if the units get bugged again, shoot them with grapeshot. Thats one solution, still frustrating however.
    Alternatively, if those stuck units are routing, you can always make everyone else rout and then you'll get the option to end the battle. Best of luck.

Tarkus2.0's Avatar Laetus

Thanks to both of you for your thoughts on this. It turns out my situation was a bit of a false alarm...as i said in my OP, I had already mopped up the enemy which meant that the AI had already told me that the battle was over. Regardless, I was still concerned that my choice to quit the battle was going to nullify my hard-won victory.
    I decided to finally just replay the battle and quit the "stuck" battle -- and still won the Heroic Victory. So quitting a battle you have already won is not a risk.

Two turns later I lost Dol Guldur (and Faction Heir Legolas with two additional Generals) to the invasion...4 stacks!!! He put up quite a fight, though...
    Thanks again...

Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus2.0 View Post
    Thanks to both of you for your thoughts on this. It turns out my situation was a bit of a false alarm...as i said in my OP, I had already mopped up the enemy which meant that the AI had already told me that the battle was over. Regardless, I was still concerned that my choice to quit the battle was going to nullify my hard-won victory.
    I decided to finally just replay the battle and quit the "stuck" battle -- and still won the Heroic Victory. So quitting a battle you have already won is not a risk.

Two turns later I lost Dol Guldur (and Faction Heir Legolas with two additional Generals) to the invasion...4 stacks!!! He put up quite a fight, though...
    Thanks again...
    Hey, atleast you now know what to do if it ever happens again