Thread: Balancing skeleton types

Default Balancing skeleton types

So in the tutorial it states this:

1. the unit skeleton attack animations also improve unit effectiveness as they get faster. The way to counter this effect is the min_delay_between_attacks stat, which lies in the stat_pri line [see below]
    2. the unit skeleton animations also help combat effectiveness, when they have big(ger) impact deltas. The way to counter this is through lethality [see related information]

As a reference, here follow the lethality values that make all vanilla infantry melee skeletons equal, rounded to the second decimal, while the error bars are close to 0.1. An fs_slow_swordsman skeleton with 0.5 lethality will be equal in battle to an fs_fast_dagger skeleton with lethality 0.57 (assuming everything else equal and min_delay is set to be higher that the longest attacking animation; 25 seems enough).

• fs_slow_swordsman / fs_swordsman / fs_semi_fast_swordsman / fs_fast_swordsman : lethality = 0.5
    • fs_slow_2handed / fs_2handed : lethality = 0.41
    • fs_slow_spearman / fs_spearman / fs_semi_fast_spearman / fs_fast_spearman : lethality = 0.47
    • fs_dagger / fs_semi_fast_dagger / fs_fast_dagger : lethality = 0.57
    • fs_2handed_berserker (scale 1.1) : lethality = 0.38

So I was always under the impression that the speed part of the skeleton ("semi_fast" "slow" ect) determined the units run speed, but it says that this may also effect attack speed. Then the guide seems to contradict itself by saying:

• fs_slow_swordsman / fs_swordsman / fs_semi_fast_swordsman / fs_fast_swordsman : lethality = 0.5

meaning all these different speeds for a sword unit are balanced the exact same, and offers no advice on editing the min delay between attacks. So will a sword unit with the same combat stats, with a faster skeleton be more effective as their skeleton speed increases?

Default Re: Balancing skeleton types

Where in the guide (link, for easier reference) does it say that the skeleton's speed prefix affects attack speed?

I was referring to this section

1. the unit skeleton attack animations also improve unit effectiveness as they get faster. The way to counter this effect is the min_delay_between_attacks stat, which lies in the stat_pri line

I haven't been working on my mod for a while and then I remembered that I already knew/figured out the answer to my question (which was also right in front of my face in your guide)

(assuming everything else equal and min_delay is set to be higher that the longest attacking animation; 25 seems enough)

Just set the min delay to 25 and then balance the lethality accordingly, I had actually already done this lol

A skeleton has movement animations and attack animations (and others). The fast, semi-fast, normal and slow variants affect movement speed. The speed the above excerpt refers to is the attack speed (how fast a skeleton's attack animation plays). Knife animations, for example, are much faster than spear animations (regardless of the moving-speed variant used).

Ok thanks got it. While were on the subject then what effects the speed of cavalry? Is it the mass associated with the particular mount in descr mount file?

No, it's the speed of the mount skeleton's animations.

Ok so it appears to go:

fs_fast_horse
    fs_medium_horse
    fs_horse
    fs_cataphract_horse

in this order from fastest to slowest? Thanks again for all the help!

Yes. If the movement speed of a regular foot skeleton (fs_xyz) is considered 1, then fs_cataphract_horse has speed 1.575, fs_horse has 1.75, fs_medium_horse 1.9 and fs_fast_horse has 2.15.