Thread: Do you any of the DEI developers have a Patreon?

Icon5 Do you any of the DEI developers have a Patreon?

I see so many youtube let's players making decent monthly earnings from Patreon and I feel like you guys do far more interesting and creative labor. This team and Ancient Empires are 2 groups I would gladly sponsor.

Default Re: Do you any of the DEI developers have a Patreon?

Giving modders money is kind of a legal grey area. Ritter I think has a donation box, but most of us don't. And it might indeed be different in Europe.
    But as far as I'm aware, it would fall under profitting from someone else's business without consultation. Which is illegal.

Honestly I don't believe people should make money for their hobbies. Especially not people on youtube.

But I guess it's an ever changing world where people get paid for someone else's work now.

Edit: The only way I could see it being legit legal would be filing it as a donation. But it's still profiting off of a product you didn't make.
    Yes, the team has made DeI, but we didn't make Rome II.
    Last edited by Ivan_Moscavich; September 18, 2015 at 04:05 PM.

Honestly I don't agree with your stance. Saying that youtubers/modders are simply profiting from other people's work is too much of an oversimplification. They are fundamentally promoters of the product and it's common knowledge how much any business, including video game developers, value marketing. If a portion of their audience wants to see more content it is not irrational that they would want to offer some financial support.
    That being said I'm still curious how I can support the mod, but I won't force the issue.

Why not a donation box for the DeI modding team as a whole, or something similar?

I am pretty sure soliciting donations is against the rules on the TWC forums. I could be wrong, though.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Yep, against TWC rules.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

FlashHeart07's Avatar Praepositus

Default Do you any of the DEI developers have a Patreon?

Then people could donate to Dresden getting a... trip to Europe to visit us
    Last edited by FlashHeart07; September 19, 2015 at 02:21 AM.

Well since rome 2 is lol DEI has literally made their own game in a sense

RIP my steady income dream

I give full respect to any modder who puts time and effort into a project for Community and personal gain rather than for profit. Also as stated before, the modders made the mod, not the game itself.

Meraun's Avatar Decanus

well i'am swiss if you need a secret bank account top keep it under the rader :-)
    and i woud love to donate

w a r f a r e a c t i v i t i e s | s p e c i a l i s t p r o t e c t i o n i n c
    Meraun | HIVE | Community Veteran

Ritter-Floh's Avatar Artifex

I can not imagine why donation is not allowed. Every donation is anonymous, voluntary, and the reason may be varied. The fact is that we do not sell DeI in any form, no DeI member takes money directly with this mod, so everything is legally ...

We are also just people who need to pay bills. So if someone has accidentally money left, here are a few suggestions:

1. Dresden requires incredible amounts of hair dye to fight the grey hairs
    2. Kam needs every penny for beer
    3. FlashHeart burns frequently computers so needs money for new ones
    4. im married - no more words needed
    5. Don needs money to transplant hair from his back to the face.
    6. The whole team needs money for a detective who finds Selea
    7. Donations in the form of alcohol are very welcome to us all

Here comes the question... How much money would cost to create new game engine like Warscape? If it was "regular" game studio which would make it?

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Probably few hundreds of thousends of dollars if you would like to get near to TW level of battles. No studio so far was able to make a game to have this total war feeling to it. While there were some attempts in the past, they felt for me more like Discount: Total War. There are still games like Vaders Gettysburg that have great gameplay, AI and realism, but there is not actual fighting like in TW series.

TW enginge is getting improved since year 2000 so they have a bit of a head start over any other company ;P

Of course there were some great games in the past that started as "garage" projects like first Gothic and first Mount and Balde, but the later got some nice spotlight from bigger companies.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod